Forums > General Industry > Charging for implied/nudes

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
Trya Banks is a millionaire.

Not to mention in within the top 5 percentile of models who make a steady living.

Trya Banks and Tila Tequila-wanna-be's are drastically different than each other.

In my oh so humble opinion, I'd have to say that there is a difference between being a super-model and a stipper-model.   Stripper-models make no money, but give away photos of themselves naked, for the photographer's own use. (i.e. left hand) 

Much love.
Bianca Smith

u r aware tyra doesn't model anymore, right?

Jan 16 07 03:00 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Daniela V wrote:

Hmm...I was referring to Vanity Fair...not candid shots.

My point though was that it's completely idiotic to say that someone will regret doing nudes just because.

I was being slightly facetious. smile

Jan 16 07 03:02 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Sorry but the correct terminology around these parts in Internet Whore...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=735132

please see link above.

Jan 16 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
My advice would be not to get naked at all.  Nudes never go away.  They will always be around.  And eventually, even if you don't now, you will eventually regret it.

There is more than one type of model, and there is more than one type of photographer.

If you do cheap t@a nudes with a gwc i could see regretting it.   If you worked with a talented individual i don't see regretting it.

It all comes down to the models comfort level with herself.  Don't impose your morality on the op, and i won't impose mine on you.

There is a difference between a model that shoots fashion, shoots art and shoots glamour.  Please look it at it from every angle.

Some of the comissioned stuff i've shot leaves women feeling stronger and more confident in themselves.  Shame about the embargo in the release or i'd post it.

Jan 16 07 03:04 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
In my oh so humble opinion, I'd have to say that there is a difference between being a super-model and a stipper-model.   Stripper-models make no money, but give away photos of themselves naked, for the photographer's own use. (i.e. left hand) 

Much love.
Bianca Smith

Ok Miss Humble-

I am not a super-model. I don't ever think I will be...though I do think I'm successful at what I do.

But, I pose nude. I like posing nude. Sometimes I make money and sometimes I do TFP for nudes. So, what...that makes me a partial stripper model?

Please, categorize me. I'd love to hear it from someone that says she creates "art".

Love you more!
-D

Model

Dances with Wolves

Envy wrote:

I was being slightly facetious. smile

Good site though- her nips do look pretty goat like wink

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Well said Christopher.

I just joined this site as well - although I am no stranger to this so called world of "Modeling".   You definitely have to be smart in this psuedo-entertainment based industry.  Many photographers are actually pick-up artists in disguise as professional photographers. 

My advice would be not to get naked at all.  Nudes never go away.  They will always be around.  And eventually, even if you don't now, you will eventually regret it.

What? Really? You are joking...must be...

OP..

Just study themarket doll.

On the net almost anything goes. I like your port, I see some great nudes with artistic  foundations.

It seems you know the difference between art and crap. So, keep at it and make sure you are only shooting with those artist who will continue to mesh with your artistic adventure. As to pay, what Chris said.

Hang Loose..

Jan 16 07 03:05 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
Trya Banks is a millionaire.

Not to mention in within the top 5 percentile of models who make a steady living.

Trya Banks and Tila Tequila-wanna-be's are drastically different than each other.

Much love.
Bianca Smith

You are aware that there are numerous models here who make money doing art nudes correct?  Would you classify them as strippers?

Jan 16 07 03:05 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Hell some of us get paid to create art nudes and then we ALSO get those images published and in gallery shows...
Whoda thunk it.

Jan 16 07 03:07 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Iona Lynn wrote:
Hell some of us get paid to create art nudes and then we ALSO get those images published and in gallery shows...
Whoda thunk it.

YOU STRIPPER!

wink

Jan 16 07 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Daniela V wrote:
YOU STRIPPER!

wink

Now you got me running around singing i'm in love with a stripper with in a redneck falsetto.

Jan 16 07 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Whoda thunk it.

Only if they come to Seattle to shoot for my Mill book :-)

(ducking)

Jan 16 07 03:12 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Cecil Sharps wrote:

Now you got me running around singing i'm in love with a stripper with in a redneck falsetto.

MM really needs to get audio.

Jan 16 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jan 16 07 03:18 pm Link

Model

Bianca Smith

happy joy what a pretty day!

Jan 16 07 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Daniela V wrote:
MM really needs to get audio.

I'd make your ears blead and boobies sag.  Somethings are better left to the written word and imagination.

Jan 16 07 03:21 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

JJD Productions wrote:
I was going to stay out of this but I want Bianca to stay on this site cause she has a great look.  The OP got her question answered and some extra advice.  Some of the advice was conflicting simply because different models have different opinions about nudity.  I got upset at a poster here once because I thought he was forcing his opinions on others.  In hindsight, I should have just let it slide as an opinion and simply stated that there is an alternate point of view.  Peace, ladies and if it makes all three of you feel any better, I would wave my fee to shoot any of you in whatever style you want.

Jim :-)

and now a round of kumbaya around the fire.

Jan 16 07 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

JJD Productions wrote:
I was going to stay out of this but I want Bianca to stay on this site cause she has a great look.  The OP got her question answered and some extra advice.  Some of the advice was conflicting simply because different models have different opinions about nudity.  I got upset at a poster here once because I thought he was forcing his opinions on others.  In hindsight, I should have just let it slide as an opinion and simply stated that there is an alternate point of view.  Peace, ladies and if it makes all three of you feel any better, I would wave my fee to shoot any of you in whatever style you want.

Jim :-)

Thanks for the offer Jim, but it looks like I'll be flying to Seattle first to be hired for another book publication.

Doh

Iona Lynn

Jan 16 07 03:22 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

*blows rasberrries at photoworks*

ok guys I'm out for a while gotta go shoot.

Jan 16 07 03:25 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
I guess one opinion in the wrong direction opens the flood gates for the blood-hounds to unleash.

She calls us strippers and we are the assholes?

Jan 16 07 03:29 pm Link

Model

B E T H A N Y

MCLOUD, Oklahoma, US

Thank you for all of your comments. There are a ton of questions I have and there is a certain look I am going for in my portfolio. I think some implied nudes come out absolutely gorgeous and most of them don't show too much skin. There is a policy about doing strait on nudes and making a "fool" of the Military when you are in, but being that I am separating in three months that won't apply anymore. Again I thank you all for your comments whether they were full of support or constructive criticism.

Jan 16 07 03:29 pm Link

Model

Zoua Yang

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I charge $100 for implied topless, 4 hours minimum.  Implied nudity, not quite ready to do it yet.

Jan 16 07 03:32 pm Link

Model

Bianca Smith

Envy.  I like your name.

Jan 16 07 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Did I say, "Envy is a stripper"?

No, I said "there is a difference between being a super-model and a stripper-model."  Most stripper-models (a term I will take credit for making up myself)  don't make money, but give free peep shows. 

Now if you take offense to that, I suppose it hit close to home. 

Nice name by the way.    wink

You are splitting hairs. If you are going to make a negative general statement, you should expect individuals who fall in the category to be upset. It's a form of passive-aggressive behavior.

I thought you were quitting the site. The more I read of your posts, the better that idea sounds.

Jan 16 07 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Bianca Smith wrote:
Thanks Jim.

I was just trying to figure out how to cancel my membership.  This site is a bunch of bullshit. 

I don't know what these forums are for if they aren't for opinions. 

I'm glad though that all of this has been brought to my attention.  I suppose all of you are right.  This site isn't for me.  I'm not this kind of model.  I guess one opinion in the wrong direction opens the flood gates for the blood-hounds to unleash. 

Wow, what cut throat world this is. 

I think I'm going to stop by my agent's office today.  Yeah, a real physical agent. 

I love you all unconditionaly.
Bianca

You cal people strippers, and make blanket statesments as to regrett, and you wonder why people are a tad pissy?

Nude art has been around for a very long time. And as I stated, as long as you are doing it for the sake of creating art and something worthwhile, it can hardly be compared to stripping. Perhaps this site isnt for you. And if you are going to go around making blanket statements, you would hardly be missed. Nor would anybody else who would do or say such things.

The OP asked for RATE ideas, not for anybodies moral judgement. You were off topic and rude in your remarks.

Sadly, that is just the kind of stuff that happens on Mayhem all the time.

It's a shame...

Jan 16 07 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Zoua Yang wrote:
I charge $100 for implied topless, 4 hours minimum.  Implied nudity, not quite ready to do it yet.

Really? You get $400 for four hours without any nudity? Would you be so kind as to list a few references? Some photographers here on MM that have paid these rates?

Everyone says to check references, you know. May I, please?

Jan 16 07 03:44 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

No, I said "there is a difference between being a super-model and a stripper-model."  Most stripper-models (a term I will take credit for making up myself)  don't make money, but give free peep shows. 

First you insinuated that all models who pose nude regret their choices.  I was curious as to how you came to this conclusion, but you never responded.
Then the base for your argument is if you are recieving financial compensation for not having clothes on then it's perfectly acceptable to be a nude model.... however girls who do TFP nudes are strippers.

This is where your concept is slightly fucked. Strippers make money. It's vice versa.

I have not taken offense to anything, I'm simply questioning your logic.

Jan 16 07 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

I dont pay models. Models pay me. Thats how it should work. If a model is to be paid she is paid by a paying client that is also paying me for the images.

Jan 16 07 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Jordan May wrote:
I dont pay models. Models pay me. Thats how it should work. If a model is to be paid she is paid by a paying client that is also paying me for the images.

Are you speaking as an authoirty on all types of photographic endeavors, or are you speaking to the segment of photography that you practice?

Jan 16 07 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Bianca,
I like you! Stay with us.... like warts, we grow on you after a while!

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Uh, yeah you did.

Envy, if this is still the case, is an art mode that shoot for the sake of art. She does not charge for shoots.

I assume in your mind it's all about getting paid for modeling and you can't conceive of anyone in their right mond doing something for the love of doing it.

Clearly you operate strictly from a profit motive.  No problem there.

But please don't get all high and mighty by impliying that some models are less than for wanting to pose nude for whatever reason that they choose. Such arrogance is not favorable for you.

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Jordan May wrote:

Great. Me, too, for the most part. But that doesn't change the poster's question. Let me rephrase it for you: "How much do YOUR CLIENTS typically pay the models for implied and nude work?"

My original answer still stands, of course, but I hope this made it easier for you to give a constructive answer.

I won't charge you for my help :-)

Jan 16 07 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Jordan May wrote:

Oh? How much do they pay you?

Jan 16 07 03:51 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Bianca Smith wrote:

Here we go again.........

Your port is amateur at best.

Perhaps you should hire a few photographers to back your opinions up.

Jan 16 07 03:51 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Bianca Smith wrote:
Most stripper-models (a term I will take credit for making up myself)  don't make money, but give free peep shows.

So then what the hell are the models on here that do pose nude (myself included) and that sometimes make money at it, and sometimes don't (because yeah, it enhances my portfolio)...what are they/I then? Partial stripper models? Stripper Models only every other week?

C'mon- I want a name. I'm sure you can think of one.

Jan 16 07 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Are you speaking as an authoirty on all types of photographic endeavors, or are you speaking to the segment of photography that you practice?

I am merely speaking of how I shoot when I am not shooting TFP Terms. I would never post saying I am the authority of anything aside from my photography business. I shoot plenty of TFP stuff both nude and non-nude. If its something we both need and come to an agreement, cool. I have never needed to pay a model to shoot them though for my portfolio. The work I do as a business provides me with more than enough for my portfolio most of which is not on MM because this place is 90% GWC's. If a model wants to shoot with me for her port she can pay for her images just like any other business rendering a service. When I am paying a model to shoot its because I hired her based on a job I am taking on by one of my paying clients. Its how a business should work in my opinion.

Model

Dances with Wolves

Christopher Ambler wrote:

Really? You get $400 for four hours without any nudity? Would you be so kind as to list a few references? Some photographers here on MM that have paid these rates?

Everyone says to check references, you know. May I, please?

Silly California photographers.... wink

Model

Dances with Wolves

Jordan May wrote:
I dont pay models. Models pay me. Thats how it should work.

And so it was said! *rumble of thunder*

Jan 16 07 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Jordan May wrote:
I am merely speaking of how I shoot when I am not shooting TFP Terms. I would never post saying I am the authority of anything aside from my photography business. I shoot plenty of TFP stuff both nude and non-nude. If its something we both need and come to an agreement, cool. I have never needed to pay a model to shoot them though for my portfolio. The work I do as a business provides me with more than enough for my portfolio most of which is not on MM because this place is 90% GWC's. If a model wants to shoot with me for her port she can pay for her images just like any other business rendering a service. When I am paying a model to shoot its because I hired her based on a job I am taking on by one of my paying clients. Its how a business should work in my opinion.

Thank you, sir. At times, brevity is a good thing, but not at the expense of meaning.

Jan 16 07 03:54 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bianca Smith wrote:
----------

So wait... you waltz in here brand spankin new to this site, make a blanket statement that anyone that shoots nude work will regret it, then proceed to lump modeling into "super-model" and "stripper-model" categories. Whoa. Then you follow that up getting pissy and dissing the site as being full of BS... Nice work!!

Really now, there is a hell of a lot more out there than "super-model" and "stripper-models" I'm afraid to know what category you'd put yourself into... Please, don't tell me, cause I don't want to know.

If all you know how to do is make blanket statements, then you had better either leave or learn how to not make them. Its rude, and insulting to the rest of the people here that are perfectly capable of making their OWN choices as to what is best for themselves, whether that is "super-modeling" or "stripper-modeling." It is NOT your place to make such statements, EVER. Keep your morals and modeling career to yourself, and leave the rest of us to conduct our (successful) business.
Thanks.

Jan 16 07 03:56 pm Link