Forums > General Industry > No call-no show- What can I do?

Photographer

W B Fontenot

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I had a shoot set up for today. The model told me that she was in. We were in contact all of last week. I asked her via email if she was a for sure for Monday-she said yes. She stopped contact with me as of Saturday- after my stylist had already pulled clothing for her. I also got a MUA for the shoot-which I ended up having to pay a cancellation fee for. On top of all of this I rented some equipment for the shoot (on Friday). I am a professional (this is how I make my money) and I don’t often run across this. This is my first experience with a model from MM. I had this happen twice on OMP which is why I no longer have an account there. How common is this, and how can I keep this from happening. I am out money and time. I was unable to get another model for the day, and I turned down two other jobs (both were offered to me last Thursday, both paid).
Please let me know what is up-
B

Jan 15 07 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

you'll see that Internet models sometimes tend to be flakey. It's not a good idea to "out her" here as that's not allowed. MM isn't any different than OMP on model reliability. Your best bet is to hire models you have a good working relationship with or use an agency, or use models other photographers know have good reputations. This has been discussed so many times on here that there SHOULD be a forum specifically dedicated to it.

Jan 15 07 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
you'll see that Internet models sometimes tend to be flakey. It's not a good idea to "out her" here as that's not allowed. MM isn't any different than OMP on model reliability. Your best bet is to hire models you have a good working relationship with or use an agency, or use models other photographers know have good reputations. This has been discussed so many times on here that there SHOULD be a forum specifically dedicated to it.

As he said.

I took a look at her port.  The tip off should have been, "see myspace for more pictures."

I like the idea of a Flake forum though.  That would take care of about 25% of all posts.  Everyone could use it as a place to blow off steam.

Jan 15 07 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

W B Fontenot

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I cut her info out of my first post, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. But I don't understand how "outing her" is such a bad thing. There needs to be someway to find out if a model (or a photographer) is credible and reliable. On eBay there is a rating system for users. This helps you so you don’t get ripped off when you depend on the person to send you what you have purchased. Well I am out more then I ever spent on one item at eBay.

Jan 15 07 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Ask for a deposit if she wants to reschedule. Otherwise, blow it off and keep walking.

Jan 15 07 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

W B Fontenot wrote:
How common is this...

On the Internet, very.

...how can I keep this from happening.

Use agency models.

There are to be no out threads, nor will there be any rating system, as no one has yet conceived of a way to ensure that either will be honest and fair.

Jan 15 07 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

W B Fontenot wrote:
But I don't understand how "outing her" is such a bad thing.

It is a bad thing because you expect us to take your side of the situation, all without hearing her side of the story.  For example, how do we know that you weren't the one who didn't show, or that you told her the wrong time/place, or that there was an agreement to work together in the first place? 

Further, what's to stop her from "outing" you, claiming that you touched her inappropriately, or that you refused to pay her, or that you were the one who didn't show?  We have no reason to believe either of you.

So, when you "out" the model, we don't know the whole story and are not in a position to believe you or her.  But we do know that you've gone to the trouble to attempt to diminish or ruin her reputation, presumedly because you had a bad experience with her.  That doesn't sound "professional" to me -- that sounds vindictive & mean. 

So, as far as I'm concerned, your attempt to "out" her would do you more damage than her.

Jan 15 07 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I book the majority of my models from OMP and MM, and I rarely have a problem, however I also arrange a meeting before any shoot. This is usually the litmus test. If they don't show for the meeting, I am one degree wiser...

One thing you do not mention is whether or not you were paying her. I have never had a model fail to show for a session where she was getting paid.

I would also never invest serious money in a first shoot with a TFP netmodel. I save my serious shoots for those with whom I have history and confidence.

Sorry to hear you got burned.

Jan 15 07 05:48 pm Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

im local if you still wanna shoot today?

Jan 15 07 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mystic 7

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Happened to me with every single model I booked on Musecube. I've only used one model here so far and she flew 350 miles from Jacksonville to S. Florida to work with me. If she's still here her name is Minori, and if she says she's going to show up, she does.

Jan 15 07 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Things to do to improve your odds:

1)  Your first sitting with a new-to-you model should have the objective of "getting acquainted".  Don't invest tons of time & money in setting these sittings up.  Use the models you know for the important projects.

2)  Check references.  I don't know why more models & photographers don't check references more often.  Write to all the photographers represented in her portfolio.  While it is inappropriate to "out" a model publically, it's quite okay to respond honestly to private requests for references.

3)  I'm a big advocate of building a little local community of artists & models.  When a new model shows up on the local scene, I often ask my local photographer buddies what they know about her.

4)  Make sure the model is enthusiastic about the sitting.  It's not enough to expect her to be excited about the prospect of working with you -- provide more incentive than that.  A little amount of pay would be nice.  Tell her about the concepts you are going to try, and talk up the ones that interest her.  Being "business-like" often tends to translate into being low-key & boring -- be enthusiastic.

5)  Make it easy on the model -- remember, the first sitting together is to get acquainted, so pick a time that is convenient for both, choose a location that's easy to find, etc.

Jan 15 07 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Michael Reich

Silver City, New Mexico, US

When I do paid shoots, I only use models I've worked with before, and I ALWAYS check references...cuts way down on the "flake' factor.

Jan 15 07 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

W B Fontenot wrote:
I had a shoot set up for today. The model told me that she was in. We were in contact all of last week. I asked her via email if she was a for sure for Monday-she said yes. She stopped contact with me as of Saturday- after my stylist had already pulled clothing for her. I also got a MUA for the shoot-which I ended up having to pay a cancellation fee for. On top of all of this I rented some equipment for the shoot (on Friday). I am a professional (this is how I make my money) and I don’t often run across this. This is my first experience with a model from MM. I had this happen twice on OMP which is why I no longer have an account there. How common is this, and how can I keep this from happening. I am out money and time. I was unable to get another model for the day, and I turned down two other jobs (both were offered to me last Thursday, both paid).
B

Don't shoot without a deposit.  If the model whines and bellyaches about a deposit, she's probably the type that will flake.  If she's reliable, dependable, and professional, she'll understand that deposits are just part of the cost of doing business and she'll pay it.  After all, fair is fair.  Why should the photographer be the only one with anything to lose if the model decides to go shopping with her mall-rat friends rather than to show up for the shoot?

Jan 15 07 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

W B Fontenot wrote:
No call-no show- What can I do?

1.  Grin
2.  Bear it.
3.  Use models from an agency.

Jan 15 07 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:
Don't shoot without a deposit.  If the model whines and bellyaches about a deposit, she's probably the type that will flake.  If she's reliable, dependable, and professional, she'll understand that deposits are just part of the cost of doing business and she'll pay it.  After all, fair is fair.  Why should the photographer be the only one with anything to lose if the model decides to go shopping with her mall-rat friends rather than to show up for the shoot?

I personally think deposits like that are disrespectful, inappropriate, and not conducive to a productive session.

Question:  Okay, she gives you a deposit, which you refund to her when she shows up on time.  How would you feel about then giving her a deposit, which she will refund to you when you deliver the images you promised her?

Jan 15 07 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I personally think deposits like that are disrespectful, inappropriate, and not conducive to a productive session.

Bingo!

If I don't trust someone, I just don't shoot with them. And vice-versa. There's no need to put all these barriers in place that basically say "I don't TRUST YOU and I UNDERSTAND why you WON'T TRUST ME."

Jan 15 07 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

HungryEye wrote:
I book the majority of my models from OMP and MM, and I rarely have a problem, however I also arrange a meeting before any shoot. This is usually the litmus test. If they don't show for the meeting, I am one degree wiser...

One thing you do not mention is whether or not you were paying her. I have never had a model fail to show for a session where she was getting paid.

I would also never invest serious money in a first shoot with a TFP netmodel. I save my serious shoots for those with whom I have history and confidence.

Sorry to hear you got burned.

I've had them fail to show when money was involved.

Jan 15 07 07:32 pm Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

We've gotten into this in other threads recently. 

If a model is reliable, dependable, and professional, you should be able to learn that by checking her references -- in which case, you don't NEED a deposit.  Asking for a deposit from someone who has a good track record is insulting.

If you're working with someone who does NOT have references, or whose record is spotty, then by all means, ask for a deposit -- but don't treat those of us who work hard to maintain our reputation as if we are likely to flake out on you!

Jan 16 07 12:58 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Some people just don't have very nice personal work ethics.
Unfortunately, they will have to prove or disprove this to each of us (model, photographer, mua) on a case to case basis.

Jan 16 07 01:07 am Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

Question:  Okay, she gives you a deposit, which you refund to her when she shows up on time.  How would you feel about then giving her a deposit, which she will refund to you when you deliver the images you promised her?

wow that makes so much sense smile
best argument so far

Jan 16 07 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do. Add her to your do not call list and move on. You're going to find this type of person on any internet site you contact models on; OMP isn't the only place with unreliable models. But this really does suck, especially after you invested so much into the shoot. But many of these people (models, MUAs and photographers alike) are not professional in any sense of the word. I'm not sure why they're here, but it is really too bad they waste everyone's time and resources.

Now, on the other hand, something may have actually happened and she couldn't be there. But a phone call would have certainly been nice. Anyway, good luck on your future shoots!

Jan 16 07 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
There are to be no out threads, nor will there be any rating system, as no one has yet conceived of a way to ensure that either will be honest and fair.

Honestly, eBays feedback system is about as honest and fair as you're likely to get. And it works relatively well.

Jan 16 07 01:32 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

cry and get over it

Jan 16 07 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

W B Fontenot wrote:
B

Welcome to the world of free networking for models, photographers , MUA's etc....
Others have posted good suggestions, keep at it and your "flake-o-sensor" will kick in at some point.

For me the big tip off is by the 2nd or 3rd email if we are not making contact off MM - Forget it, just move on. Past that I require a face to face prior to a shoot.

Best of luck,

FA

Jan 16 07 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

1.  Grin
2.  Bear it.
3.  Use models from an agency.

Here, here!

Jan 16 07 01:42 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

it's not only models who are flakes. some PHOTOGRAPHERS are fakes too. when i started on this site, i was in need of some new photos... i had numerous photographers write to me, telling me they'd love to work with me, but when i responded, i never heard back from them! this road goes both ways. some people are just idiots, irresponsible or both.

Jan 16 07 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Aaron S wrote:
Honestly, eBays feedback system is about as honest and fair as you're likely to get. And it works relatively well.

That's pretty brave for a guy who touches his models inappropriately & stiffs them on their payments.    >>  We are not being given both sides of the story.
   >>>  We have no reason to believe you.
   >>>  But we can see that you are mean & vindictive.
   >>>  Thus, "outing" an alleged flake does you more damage than the model.[/b]

Again, look at it from the other side -- suppose you are checking out a model's portfolio, and on that portfolio, she "outs" a photographer she didn't enjoy working with -- would that make you more or less inclined to work with that model?

Jan 16 07 12:24 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Aaron S wrote:

Ebay's feedback system works for Ebay. This isn't ebay. There isn't a way for both parties to leave feedback, particularly when one of them "disappears." Its always going to be he said she said between models and photographers.

Besides how many people do you think attempt to cheat the ebay system by buying something and then claiming they never got it? Ebay can't tell for sure, and thus we're back to he said she said.

This is why I ALWAYS leave a tag for photographers/models that I have worked with recently. That way its written right there that I have worked with you, and others are free to contact me through MM to inquire about my experience. You can also click on "view all tags" as well, and go find comments like that. Checking references for all the linked people in the images is smart.

There will always be no shows. There will always be cancellations. Its a fact of life.

Jan 16 07 12:34 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

what moron flaked on you?

damn your portfolio is great.

Anyway- this happens- don't cancel your MM account because of flakes- some of us don't know the meaning of the word.

Jan 16 07 01:28 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Don't shoot without a deposit.  If the model whines and bellyaches about a deposit, she's probably the type that will flake.

here we go again.....

I won't pay a deposit. Thus, I must be a flake.

There's logic.

Jan 16 07 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

John Allen

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

N E V E R !! book an internet model for a paid shoot or a shoot where you are obligated to pay for a makeup artist, stylist or studio space unless you have had a test/tfp session previously and found her/him to be reliable.  Otherwise you only have yourself to blame.

Jan 16 07 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Ahhh yes, welcome to the wonderful world of photography. What can you do? Start a list because it won't be your last. Shake it off, move on, that's the best advice I can give.

Jan 16 07 02:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dawn Geary

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I'm all for people putting in a "People to work with" or "People not to work with" list somewhere. Maybe the threat of a someone's name appearing on the "Wall of Shame" will sort some of them out. smile

I kid!

Jan 16 07 02:26 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

John Allen wrote:
N E V E R !! book an internet model for a paid shoot or a shoot where you are obligated to pay for a makeup artist, stylist or studio space unless you have had a test/tfp session previously and found her/him to be reliable.  Otherwise you only have yourself to blame.

GAH. NEVER say NEVER... don't always say always, usually say usually.
Absolutes DON'T work.  End of story.

Each situation needs to be handled on an individual basis, individually researching references, work ethic, appearence of their port, how they handle correspondence, how quickly messages are returned, and a host of other criteria. Each model is an individual person with an individual situatoin. Lumping everyone together doesn't work.

I am NOT going to work with a photographer for TFP (unless there are SUPER SPECIAL circumstances) the first time. Unless I am *guaranteed* of the end results, there is no way I am going to risk my time to do something that may or may not have a return for me that is useable.  Money, however, will always be a productive return for me. There is no worrying about getting images in a timely manner, and no follow up. Its much easier for me to simply be paid and go from there. After we have established a working relationship, if I value the images that are produced and feel like they could benefit my port, then I'll make an offer. Other than that, I'll stick to the green. Pretty pictures don't pay my rent.

Jan 16 07 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

You can "out her" on your port page.

Get a written contract (like a work order, not a release) signed before the shoot, stating how much it will cost her to flake out.

Awesome work, by the way!!!

Jan 16 07 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Barlow Photography

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I can't imagine any photographer that hasn't run into this situation before. Models in general, have a bad reputation for this sort of thing. I have even paid for travel on a model that did not show up. There is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever, that any model will show up for a shoot - unless they are with an agency, and they know there will be some repercussions if they don't show. It's not a question of OMP or MM or any other site - it's not their fault. It's the models fault, plain and simple.

I believe there should be a page on every model website where a photographer can list such things, so that others will be able to choose wether they want to take a chance or not. Models should always (at the very least) have the common courtesy to call or email, and say they can't make it and why. I have known some occasions where it was the result of a family emergency, etc.; but those are few and far between.

Jan 16 07 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Beat that dead horse.

BEAT that dead horse!!

H'yah, H'yah!  Giddup there!

Beat that dead horse!

https://test.cameracenter.net/features/6/BeatDeadHorse.gif

Jan 16 07 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

That is a big reason why I don't use models on MM or on OMP for commercial shoots or work with them on projects that require any outlay of cash (for other personnel like MUAs for instance) until and unless I have personally worked with them on a TFP shoot first. 

If they show up on time, and don't blow me off, and work with me to create shots I can actually use for my portfolio and that would be of interest to clients for my work, then I have no problem recommending them for paying work later on or hire other people to work with us on projects where there needs to be money spent to up the production value of the work.

Jan 16 07 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

well well i will say dont be putt off as they say 3 is a crowd  so u are better off with a a crowd whenever u doing a shoot try to have more than 1 model coming.... at least  if 1 does not turn up u still have one specially if you have a team behind you here on mm you have a lot of good models here only a hand full want free fotos.... i had a shoot set up last months i had 4 models lined up 2 were up to standard 1 came with her hair not done she had weaves all over the place and 1 phoned me 2 hours b4 the shoot saying she could not come with no real explanation.............. a no show will happen to you maybe 1 more time and that will be it..........

Jan 16 07 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
well well i will say dont be putt off as they say 3 is a crowd  so u are better off with a a crowd whenever u doing a shoot try to have more than 1 model coming.... at least  if 1 does not turn up u still have one specially if you have a team behind you here on mm you have a lot of good models here only a hand full want free fotos.... i had a shoot set up last months i had 4 models lined up 2 were up to standard 1 came with her hair not done she had weaves all over the place and 1 phoned me 2 hours b4 the shoot saying she could not come with no real explanation.............. a no show will happen to you maybe 1 more time and that will be it..........

Eye kant unerstnd ur dyealect.  Es itt bsd n nglsh?

Jan 16 07 03:25 pm Link