Forums > General Industry > blatant PREJUDICE or not ?

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I get the job listing in my email offers:Title:  FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHERS

Category: Photography / Videography
Description:
LOOKING FOR TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHERS FROM EVERYWHERE.  MAGAZINE IS NEEDING STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY, TRAVEL SHOTS, LANDSCAPES, ABSTRACTS AND CONCEPTUAL STAGED PHOTO ESSAYS AND PROJECTS. (XXXXX) WILL PAY BY THE PHOTO OR COMMISSION A PROJECT.  A LESBIAN MAGAZINE NEEDS A LESBIAN PERSPECTIVE - ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY.  IF CHOSEN AS ONE OF OUR FREELANCE TEAM, EXPECT YOUR PROJECTS TO TOTAL BETWEEN $6,000 AND $10,000.

Now can I say I have a job for white people only ? black people only ?  no effing foreigners !

So as of today I am lesbian also.

Jan 13 07 02:35 pm Link

Artist/Painter

WI Lifecaster

Mazomanie, Wisconsin, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I have been for quite some time:

A lesbian trapped in a man's body.

Jan 13 07 02:37 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Now can I say I have a job for white people only ? black people only ?  no effing foreigners !

lol..

Jan 13 07 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Description:
LOOKING FOR TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHERS FROM EVERYWHERE.  MAGAZINE IS NEEDING STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY, TRAVEL SHOTS, LANDSCAPES, ABSTRACTS AND CONCEPTUAL STAGED PHOTO ESSAYS AND PROJECTS. (XXXXX) WILL PAY BY THE PHOTO OR COMMISSION A PROJECT.  A LESBIAN MAGAZINE NEEDS A LESBIAN PERSPECTIVE - ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY.  IF CHOSEN AS ONE OF OUR FREELANCE TEAM, EXPECT YOUR PROJECTS TO TOTAL BETWEEN $6,000 AND $10,000.

who cares, it's not like you'd get laid there or anything

Jan 13 07 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

lotusphoto wrote:

who cares, it's not like you'd get laid there or anything

I am trying to shoot...not get laid.

Jan 13 07 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Description:

Just keep in mind that only middle aged male can be prejudiced. Any one else and it's called "turn about is fair play"......

Jan 13 07 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

SensualArt

Aldershot, England, United Kingdom

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Just keep in mind that only straight, white, middle aged males can be prejudiced.

Jan 13 07 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Just keep in mind that only middle aged male can be prejudiced. Any one else and it's called "turn about is fair play"......

And it's only LEGAL to discrimate against middle aged white men in the USA....My standard rule of thumb is to take adds like that, put the word "white male" in instead of the other term, hand it to the first black guy on the steet that I see...tell him it's an add for a new business I'm opening...if he hits me...well it probably discrimation...

but hell, I'm a white male, I run the world right?

Jan 13 07 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Agreed.  You can favor any race, color, or creed as long as it's NOT a white male.  You can have a lesbian only, black only, senior only, hispanic only, or whatever else and it's OK.  Have a "white male only" anything and the ACLU will break it's foot off in your ass.

Jan 13 07 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

LarryB wrote:
Agreed.  You can favor any race, color, or creed as long as it's NOT a white male.  You can have a lesbian only, black only, senior only, hispanic only, or whatever else and it's OK.  Have a "white male only" anything and the ACLU will break it's foot off in your ass.

the entire foot ?

having participated in Civil Rights issues. I get mad when now when i see ads for housing for "chinese" only, this only that only.

Ever try to get a job with a Asian company that says "send photo" ?

It seems  like the only people OBEYING the discrimination laws and white people and black people. Every immigrant group says "fuck you" to the laws many fought and died over.

Jan 13 07 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

You're right - it's blatant discrimination.

Jan 13 07 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Description:

It goes without saying that it's discriminatory...

what makes more infuriating is the fact that it doesn't start state up front and throughout that they are seeking LESBIAN freelance photographers... and bullshit on their lesbian magazine needs a lesbian prspective.... are they only going to feature photographs of lesbians? no bisexuals? do prospective photographers and models need to present proof? references?

Jan 13 07 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

tootsie

Jan 13 07 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Scam

Jan 13 07 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Southwick

Rock Island, Illinois, US

Hell apply for the job, If they turn you down based soley on your sex sue them

Jan 13 07 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 76 Photo

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Wow this past couple days has been about nothing but race.. I have a job for all asians!! sweatshop for your freedom ride to the US..smile JK

Jan 13 07 05:49 pm Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

It's no different than Victorias Secret hiring only female models without any visible handicaps.

It's no different than FHM magazine not featuring a multitude of women of different nationalities and of dark skin. Only difference with this mag is that they want someone who likes the same sex, not the same race.

There's a world of difference, especially when you're in a world of homophobes. I wouldn't feel at all comfortable working with someone who's an active and proud member of the KKK and vice versa. So I can see their point, because i'm sure they wouldn't feel comfortable working around someone who's all jumpy and nervous because they think everyone in the room is trying to jump thier bones.

Jan 13 07 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Description:

I wonder what the application process involves?  How does a woman prove she's a lesbian short of taking a dive into the furry garden?

Jan 13 07 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
It's no different than Victorias Secret hiring only female models without any visible handicaps.

It's no different than FHM magazine not featuring a multitude of women of different nationalities and of dark skin. Only difference with this mag is that they want someone who likes the same sex, not the same race.

There's a world of difference, especially when you're in a world of homophobes. I wouldn't feel at all comfortable working with someone who's an active and proud member of the KKK and vice versa. So I can see their point, because i'm sure they wouldn't feel comfortable working around someone who's all jumpy and nervous because they think everyone in the room is trying to jump thier bones.

BS god you are gorgeous , but wrong.
I have hired people in the past. I did not ask anyone if they were in the Klan or the Panthers. Not my business.
One of my workers was a "son of the south" he did his job.  WE would have "discussions" at lunch time. But he did his job.  Not  me to judge his views.

Jan 13 07 05:55 pm Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

:S

Jan 13 07 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

BS god you are gorgeous , but wrong.
I have hired people in the past. I did not ask anyone if they were in the Klan or the Panthers. Not my business.
One of my workers was a "son of the south" he did his job.  WE would have "discussions" at lunch time. But he did his job.  Not  me to judge his views.

Agree. one of my cleints that I designed a website for is gay. Both him and his partner needed a site. Shit, I could care less. This is business. Or is it tis biness?

Jan 13 07 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Jim Ball wrote:

I wonder what the application process involves?  How does a woman prove she's a lesbian short of taking a dive into the furry garden?

I was thinking the same thing!  But I'd take it a step further ... what if I try dressing and looking like a woman. Then when they accuse me of being a man, I'll just say "I'm just very butch!"  wink

But to answer the question, YES!  It is prejudice.  I don't know if they've broken any State labor laws, but it is not necessary to have a certain sexual orientation to be a photographer.

Jan 13 07 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

screen shot of job listing : you have to be a member of the job site to see it.

http://www.unomundo.net/mm/salir.jpg

Jan 13 07 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Undo,

i know that you can mack your way up in there. your game is tight. old school player macaroni you.

Jan 13 07 06:14 pm Link

Model

karennn

Huntington Beach, California, US

for lesbians, by lesbians. i dont see anything wrong with that.

Jan 13 07 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Southwick

Doesn't state you have to be a lesbian just a preference.

Jan 13 07 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
tootsie

You know what?  I have been told that I have a striking resemblance to a younger Dustin Hoffman.  So if I had the right make up and dress ... I bet I could pull it off!  Umm ... I mean fool 'em until it got pulled off!

Jan 13 07 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Michael Southwick wrote:
Doesn't state you have to be a lesbian just a preference.

job says  "ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY"

Jan 13 07 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

karennn wrote:
for lesbians, by lesbians. i dont see anything wrong with that.

perhaps a little thing like  the Civil Rights Issue was not taught in your school.

Jan 13 07 06:23 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

You can't have that job because you're not a lesbian, the same way I can't bartend at the gay bar.

They are catering to their market.

Jan 13 07 06:25 pm Link

Model

karennn

perhaps a little thing like  the Civil Rights Issue was not taught in your school.

oh please. dont be a smartass. just because the magazine only wants lesbians to do the work in their LESBIAN magazine its the end of the civil rights movement? if there was a magazine for black men and they only wanted black men involved with it, i wouldnt hear anyone complaining.

Jan 13 07 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

karennn wrote:
oh please. dont be a smartass. just because the magazine only wants lesbians to do the work in their LESBIAN magazine its the end of the civil rights movement? if there was a magazine for black men and they only wanted black men involved with it, i wouldnt hear anyone complaining.

So I can have a magazine for White People and advertise , only whites need apply ?

Now which magazine for the black market  has an all black staff ?  Ignorance is NOT a virtue ! name one. come on !

have you EVER seen an Ad for say a black magazine that said "only black people need apply"   have you ?

dont state crap that is NOT fact!

funny , we have an EFFING LAW says you cant do that.

Jan 13 07 06:33 pm Link

Model

karennn

So I can have a magazine for White People and advertise , only whites need apply ?

Now which magazine for the black market  has an all black staff ?  Ignorance is NOT a virtue ! name one. come on !

have you EVER seen an Ad for say a black magazine that said "only black people need apply"   have you ?

dont state crap that is NOT fact!

and how do you know the lesbian magazine has an all gay staff? maybe they want a feature section on lesbian photographers. i dont call that discrimination.

they cant even get married for god sakes let them have their damn magazine!

Jan 13 07 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Southwick

job says  "ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY"

In the job description not the job requirements.

If you feel your capable of writing from a lesbians perspective apply for the job. It is asking for a Journalistic Photographer. Hard case to win since the burden of proof is on you and your ability to write from that perspective.

Your Photography skills are not in question you do very nice work.

M

Jan 13 07 06:38 pm Link

Model

karennn

how could i miss this?

from the screen shot..."ADDITIONAL SKILLS: LESBIANS PREFERRED."

doesnt say you have to be a lesbian.
so i still dont see any discrimination.

Jan 13 07 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Michael Southwick wrote:

In the job description not the job requirements.

If you feel your capable of writing from a lesbians perspective apply for the job. It is asking for a Journalistic Photographer. Hard case to win since the burden of proof is on you and your ability to write from that perspective.

Your Photography skills are not in question you do very nice work.

M

They are looking for travel photos and landscapes.  That is not my issue. The issues here is stating illegally that only "certain " people need apply.

Funny, I remember Congress passing a tiny tiny law says you cant do that.

Jan 13 07 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

karennn wrote:
how could i miss this?

from the screen shot..."ADDITIONAL SKILLS: LESBIANS PREFERRED."

doesnt say you have to be a lesbian.
so i still dont see any discrimination.

You have YET to read the job description; hence your confusion, again just for YOU.
      LOOKING FOR TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHERS FROM EVERYWHERE. (SALIR) MAGAZINE IS NEEDING STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY, TRAVEL SHOTS, LANDSCAPES, ABSTRACTS AND CONCEPTUAL STAGED PHOTO ESSAYS AND PROJECTS. (SALIR) WILL PAY BY THE PHOTO OR COMMISSION A PROJECT. A LESBIAN MAGAZINE NEEDS A LESBIAN PERSPECTIVE - ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY. IF CHOSEN AS ONE OF OUR FREELANCE TEAM, EXPECT YOUR PROJECTS TO TOTAL BETWEEN $6,000 AND $10,000.

Jan 13 07 06:47 pm Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

Weird. I would apply anyway. I doubt they're going to try to make you prove you're a lesbo.

Jan 13 07 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

You have YET to read the job description; hence your confusion, again just for YOU.
      LOOKING FOR TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHERS FROM EVERYWHERE. (SALIR) MAGAZINE IS NEEDING STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY, TRAVEL SHOTS, LANDSCAPES, ABSTRACTS AND CONCEPTUAL STAGED PHOTO ESSAYS AND PROJECTS. (SALIR) WILL PAY BY THE PHOTO OR COMMISSION A PROJECT. A LESBIAN MAGAZINE NEEDS A LESBIAN PERSPECTIVE - ONLY LESBIANS NEED APPLY. IF CHOSEN AS ONE OF OUR FREELANCE TEAM, EXPECT YOUR PROJECTS TO TOTAL BETWEEN $6,000 AND $10,000.

Undo? it aint worth iit. We know that when many gays want to join the church, get married, be know about their sexuality in the military etc..suddenly it's a 'we' thing or in some cases, blacks, gays and lesbians are the same because we are minorites.

When I read stuff like this, I read them primarily from lesbian more than you hear about them from gay men. I find to interesting.,

Jan 13 07 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

If they had tried to put that ad in most any newspaper, it would have been turned down.  Our newspaper no longer divides "help wanted" ads into "men wanted" or "women wanted" sections as they did in the past.  About the only place you see any preferences listed is in the "lookin' for love" ads which are divided into men, women, women seeking women and men seeking men even in conservative old Richmond, VA.  They probably could have gotten away with, "magazine by and for the gay/lesbian community seeks photojournalist.  Those with a unique perspective on lesbian issues strongly encouraged to apply."  When a man went in for the interview, a good interviewer could easily weed him out of the pool of applicants without appearing to be prejudiced.  The people who sent out the original call are just asking for trouble.

Doug

Jan 13 07 06:55 pm Link