Forums > General Industry > taking pics at a wedding when you are NOT...

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

...the official hired photographer.
what is protocol?
when is whipping out the camera forbidden?

i mean, there's common sense stuff, like not popping the flash right in the bride's face during the vows, but... is bringing a camera into the church and taking pictures from my seat allowed?

Jan 13 07 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

I think the best thing is to do is ask the photographer and bride.  I think different photogs have different rules.

I dunno about the protocols with church though.

Jan 13 07 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

My mother asked me to take environmentals at my sister's wedding reception. I went up to the official photographer while he was setting up and said, "Hi, I'm the bride's brother. My mother asked me to take pictures of the people at the reception. I'll try my best to stay out of your way, let me know if I cause you any problems."

He replied, "Makes no difference to me, they're paying me by the hour."

*shrug*

M

Jan 13 07 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

StMarc wrote:
My mother asked me to take environmentals at my sister's wedding reception. I went up to the official photographer while he was setting up and said, "Hi, I'm the bride's brother. My mother asked me to take pictures of the people at the reception. I'll try my best to stay out of your way, let me know if I cause you any problems."

*shrug*

M

I'd say that was a smart photographer, in tune with today's realities of widely-available digital cameras and charging up-front vs. print sales (assuming that's what being paid by the hour meant).

Jan 13 07 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Something other than "model no-show excuses"? I'm incredibly impressed. I honestly don't have an answer because I've never shot weddings...or been the wannabe guy who thinks he can do better than the hired photographer.

I've been to weddings however where the bridge and groom hired a photographer but then also asked friends and/or family to snap more candid moments. Although I would hope, for a few thousand dollars, that the hired photographer produced higher quality images than the family member smile

Jan 13 07 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

StMarc wrote:

Wow...sounded like he was really into the emotion and pageantry of the occasion. If I was getting married, the last thing I would want was a photographer with the attitude that it's just a job. Even though that, in reality, is the case.

Jan 13 07 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

I have been on both sides of that discussion.. I dont care if everyone in the wedding is snapping pics as long as they arent in my way.. I am getting paid to do what I am contracted to do..

And most of the church weddings I have been in or done dont allow flash photography for the very reasons stated above.. it is distracting to everyone involved..

DURING the ceremony is one thing, but trying to snap some during the portrait sessions is another.. that is when you need to be gracious and ask the photog if they mind since those pics are more tedious for him and need to be done within a time frame to keep those at the reception from losing their minds from waiting..

I usually snap the ones I planned on getting of the group in front of me and then step to the side to allow those lingerers with their disposable cameras to snap the one shot they wanted, then move to the next group and repeat the process.. those lingerers usually only want a shot of the people they have a connection to.. not the whole group..

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

well i would never suggest that i could do a better job than the hired photographer. he got hired for a reason, obviously.
i just would like some pictures of my own, that i could also share with the newlyweds, but without stepping on anyone's figurative toes.

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If the "official" photographer doesn't think other people will bring cameras, he's not living in reality.

The church will have it's own rules regarding photography during the ceremony, use of flash, etc.  Just ask.  Sometimes the preacher will announce that there is to be no flash photography during the ceremony, or sometimes no photographs at all.

When I was doing weddings, I told the bride that when doing the formals, I didn't care if other people shot pictures, but they were to stay behind me and take their shot after I got mine.  Also, very often a bunch of the people having their picture taken will all dump their cameras off on one guy.  I'm not waiting while one person takes the same picture with 6 different cameras.  Sorry.  Besides, most people are shooting digital, and they can share.  Geez.

(From a business standpoint, I didn't care about their pics because if they thought for a minute their pissant little on-camera flash was going to have the same effect as my 600 w/s monolight and slow shutter speed to fill in with ambient, they're sadly mistaken.  My pics will look a lot better than theirs, so they can shoot their ass off as far as I'm concerned.)

So I'd tell you just to stay out of the "official" photog's way.  At the reception he gets the choice spot for the cake cutting and whatever, but shoot all the candids you want and don't worry too much about him.

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

there is no rules................. i was shooting my first wedding ages ago ......... so i went to the rehearsal so i could have an idea of were i would be the conditions i would be working under  and all the other bits how a catholic wedding goes about the key moments and what not i ended up talking to the priest regarding what he is comfi with and he said t o  me he would appreciate if i   go easy with the flash......  so i decided to shoot with available light back then i used films so i pick six kodak 800 off i went with my minolta, and a couple of lenses... now here is the bit that u might be interested in.......... as i went on with my duties guest started shooting from the pews with their disposable/compact cameras now picture this everybody flashing away but me so truth is there is no rule if u feel like  standing up in a corner and use your zoom be my guest try no flash 4 real u get better  images......... u will do the bride and groom a favor by taking  a few shots as your shots could be and might be better that the actual photog........ as long as u do not draw too much attention u will be ok.............. funny enough a friend of mine was getting married so she and the bf asked me how much i would charge so i said $1000 and trust me that was a bargain.... they asked to see samples of my work and all i was kool with that but funny enough they hired someone else i was kool with that since i was a guest anyway............  i love taking pictures anyway so i brought my cameras with me  and i shot the entire wedding  as i wanted to add images to my wedding port....the following week the groom was looking for me!!! funny enough... the dude that they hired missed most of the important shots... so he was wondering if they could see what pics i took and all........... anyway just enjoy yourself man take your camera with you  and shoot away its not like u gonna get kicked out there is no rules  just use common sense

Jan 13 07 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

As has been said, it's a fact of life these days. For a variety of reasons (this one included) many wedding photographers have moved to a pricing structure that relies less and less on print ordering to pay the bills.

And woe to the photographer who relies on optical slaves smile

Jan 13 07 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Victor Kurzweil

London, England, United Kingdom

It varies from church to church, I've been to one wedding where the priest told everyone no photographs at all and continued to lecture us on the fact that this was a house of worship, then I've been to a wedding where the priest dragged me up to the altar as he said I'd get much better shots facing the bride and groom, and actually tried to stand slightly off centre not to block the view.

Jan 13 07 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

ask the hired photog if he wants to know "how its done"..then whip out your disposable...

Jan 13 07 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

StMarc wrote:

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Wow...sounded like he was really into the emotion and pageantry of the occasion. If I was getting married, the last thing I would want was a photographer with the attitude that it's just a job. Even though that, in reality, is the case.

Shoot a few weddings and you will understand that attitude..

No matter how well you plan out your shot sheets, how many discussions you have with those who are paying you, no matter how professional you behave, weddings are headaches at best.. the very reason I dont know ANY wedding photogs who enjoy shooting them..

They enjoy PHOTOGRAPHY and weddings pay well, but the process of shooting a wedding is like getting a root canal to ease the pain of a constant tooth ache.. You are looking forward to when it is over..

So dont judge the product on the demeanor of the person producing it..

if I had a dollar for every couple at the wedding who asked me to shoot THEM and every family member turned last second wedding coordinator giving their two cent about what and who and how it should be shot and every person screaming about the amount of time between the wedding and when THEY want the reception to start so they can eat, I could shoot the wedding for free..

So hopefully when you get married and pay another photog to shoot it, you will take those things into account and keep everyone away from them so they can do the job you are paying them for..

I know I see it in a very different light now that I have done it..

Jan 13 07 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
what is protocol?

i mean, there's common sense stuff, like not popping the flash right in the bride's face during the vows, but... is bringing a camera into the church and taking pictures from my seat allowed?

I think it's common courtesy if you are going to take shots while the official hired photographer is posing the bridal party that you ask him if you can take pics. This is kinda how I got started sort of in my wedding photography ( although I've only done it for friends or referrals from friends).

I got invited to my husband's friend's wedding and I brought along my camera.  I asked the photographer if I could take shots in between his shots. He told me he welcomed it just in case something happens to the photos he was taking. smile

But for candids anywhere during the wedding, I'd say it should be okay. Flash is not usually allowed while the ceremony is going on.

Jan 13 07 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

maryfatima

American Canyon, California, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
DURING the ceremony is one thing, but trying to snap some during the portrait sessions is another.. that is when you need to be gracious and ask the photog if they mind since those pics are more tedious for him and need to be done within a time frame to keep those at the reception from losing their minds from waiting..

I usually snap the ones I planned on getting of the group in front of me and then step to the side to allow those lingerers with their disposable cameras to snap the one shot they wanted, then move to the next group and repeat the process.. those lingerers usually only want a shot of the people they have a connection to.. not the whole group..

I so agree with you.  Unfortunately, there are folks that regardless of how many times I've asked graciously to take the shot first... they shoot anyway.  Over the years, I've gotten beyond annoyed since more often then not, some one in the bridal party becomes distracted.  ::head shaking::  So I typically find myself shooting way before the ceremony group pictures of the bride and groom, the bridal party, and the immediate family shots.  So much easier that way.  I'm sure not to loose the shot I really wanted to take.

Jan 13 07 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

mostly, i'm just waiting for the reception.
there will be open bar, and i can't wait to get picture of everyone tanked off their asses while dancing to the Cro-Mags and Misfits.
it's that kind of party, that kind of couple, and it'll be those kinds of pictures, i'm sure.

Jan 13 07 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

maryfatima

UIPHOTOS wrote:

StMarc wrote:

Shoot a few weddings and you will understand that attitude..

No matter how well you plan out your shot sheets, how many discussions you have with those who are paying you, no matter how professional you behave, weddings are headaches at best.. the very reason I dont know ANY wedding photogs who enjoy shooting them..

They enjoy PHOTOGRAPHY and weddings pay well, but the process of shooting a wedding is like getting a root canal to ease the pain of a constant tooth ache.. You are looking forward to when it is over..

So dont judge the product on the demeanor of the person producing it..

if I had a dollar for every couple at the wedding who asked me to shoot THEM and every family member turned last second wedding coordinator giving their two cent about what and who and how it should be shot and every person screaming about the amount of time between the wedding and when THEY want the reception to start so they can eat, I could shoot the wedding for free..

So hopefully when you get married and pay another photog to shoot it, you will take those things into account and keep everyone away from them so they can do the job you are paying them for..

I know I see it in a very different light now that I have done it..

Gee... are you sitting in my living room?  I must say that I love photography.  Weddings do pay well but are stressful, not because of the theme but because of the numerous folks who try and check you.  If the bride and groom didn't like my work, then they wouldn't be paying me the big bucks and pay their self-proclaimed guest photographer instead.

I do have a wedding coming up this summer.  As a matter of fact, I'm meeting with the bride and groom this pm. LOL.

Jan 13 07 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

maryfatima

jon mmmayhem wrote:
there will be open bar, and i can't wait to get picture of everyone tanked off their asses while dancing to the Cro-Mags and Misfits.
it's that kind of party, that kind of couple, and it'll be those kinds of pictures, i'm sure.

I love those... its kind of like BLACKMAIL!

Jan 13 07 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

If a photographer, or any other service provider, were to become emotionally involved, they'd burn out after a few weddings, and their work would be compromised.

Jan 13 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:

I had the most fun doing that at a recent event in my day job industry. It was held on the grounds of a local brewery, with free beer. I had just gotten a Nikkor 180 2.8 ED, and had a great time with it.

Jan 13 07 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

maryfatima wrote:

I love those... its kind of like BLACKMAIL!

haha yes!
although these people are pretty shameless, myself included.
and there's as much likelyhood that i will end up making a fool of myself as anyone else, so the blackmail is a double-edged sword.

Jan 13 07 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I have shot quite a few weddings for friends as a supplementary "sneak" photographer. I always speak to the photographer that was hired for the wedding. I do not shoot ANYTHING that he is shooting, unless it is a totally different perspective. The ceremony and the formals are all about the hired gun, they are in position and have the lighting set up. What they cannot do is be in more than one place at a time. This is where you come in. What they usually DON"T do is bother with certain shots that only a few people might buy, these are all about you as well. Plenty of opportunity for some great candid moments here, especially before the wedding and at the reception. One of my tricks for candids is to focus on something that is the same distance as the subject matter but in a different direction. Lock your focus, keep your eye out for the moment, and swing quickly on the unsuspecting subjects. Stay at 90 degrees from the photographer, out of his line of fire. Be sure to do some wide angle shots of the dances, hold the camera way up over your head, aim and shoot. Most people will look at the camera as it rises and BAM! I got a great shot one time of the groom dancing with his mom and the bride dancing with his father that was the favorite shot of the wedding party, on-camera flash and all. They all looked up and smiled at the same time, you cannot mess a shot like that up!!! Best of luck to you.

Jan 13 07 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

The hired photographer is there to do a job. Professional courtesy dictates that you stay out of his way. Don't block his shots. And don't shoot his formals.

Jan 13 07 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

StMarc wrote:

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

To be fair, he did smile when he said it and he only said it to me: I got the impression that he was more being realistic than being fatalistic. I was wearing my rig, which while it wasn't anything like as impressive as his, probably told him it was likely I knew what I was doing, especially since I was also going out of my way to be polite to him. I had a similar conversation with the photographer at my brother-in-law's wedding, and once he realized I was minimally competent and wouldn't mess up his shots, he treated me like a colleague. smile

I haven't seen any of the pictures he took: Many of mine turned out as well or better than things I've seen professional wedding photographers take, and I was careful not to get in his way. He was obviously much better at it than I was, but I did notice several times that he and I were the only people with cameras to anticipate certain events and try to get in position for them. smile

I asked my sister, and she said that they got a package deal where he got paid to be in attendance for a certain number of hours, which included a set list of images (bridal, couple, bridal party, bride w/parents, groom w/parents, all the normal stuff) and a fixed number of prints, with additional prints available on a per-print cost basis.  So while he was getting paid "by the hour," there was really more to it than that.

She did not get a CD of images. He was shooting film: she didn't remember whether she had the option to buy scanned files.

M

Jan 13 07 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

My problem:

Being invited and told to "bring your camera."

:-(

Jan 13 07 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

StMarc wrote:
She did not get a CD of images. He was shooting film: she didn't remember whether she had the option to buy scanned files.

It's a wedding, not a TFCD.

Jan 13 07 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

My wedding contract states no other professional photographer will be taking pictures. Most wedding phtoographer contracts state this. If you are shooting with your pro equipment, you may be asked not to.

Jan 13 07 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
aks the hired photog if he wants to know "how its done"..then whip out your disposable...

LMAO!!!!

Jan 13 07 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

StMarc wrote:

BlindMike wrote:
It's a wedding, not a TFCD.

Deftly observed.

That being said, lots of photography studios now offer at least web-sized images that you can send to family and friends when you sit for portraits. I haven't shopped for wedding photography recently: I don't know if it's the same for wedding pictures, but I don't see why it's any more inherently unreasonable.

The photographer who shot our wedding moved away from where my wife is from a year or so later: he has the negatives and we cannot find him. So we scanned in all the pictures at high resolution so we could make a backup copy of them in case something happened to our wedding album. While I wouldn't necessarily expect a professional photographer (especially one who still works on the print-sales business model) to provide a CD of high-res images, it seems like a disc of web-resolution images would be a nice extra sales item. I know I *have* seen wedding photography ads where you get a DVD slideshow of the images.

M

Jan 13 07 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

paulcobophotography

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I hate to shoot weddings!

Jan 13 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I did wedding for many years and camera clad relatives and friends were always a problem.

I know that some out there feel it's perfectly ok to allow other to shoot candids but my feelings were that for every candid someone else shot it reduced my upsell chances dramatically.

However I did go for the shots I knew they were incapable of doing from lack of experience or technical expertise which is probably the best way to look at it. But in my contract it was specifed that I was the "official" wedding photographer and had the option of barring cameras from certain aspects of the wedding ceremony.

Usually during the church formals, outdoor formals and specific reception photos. Never really had a problem except on those few occasions when someone would try to step in directly behind me and recreate the shot I just took. At those times I did enforce the no camera rule.

My feeling was that it took me many years of shooting and learning my craft simply to let someone come and copy it.

One wedding I had a young lady approach me and ask why I got paid so much for a wedding? I asked her if when she took the shots if she hoped they came out ok. She replied she always hoped they did.

So I told her when I take the shot I don't hope because I got paid for perfect shots everytime. Ended that discussion real quick.

Jan 13 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

Brittany Leigh

i shoot weddings...and i dont mind people taking snapshots...as long as they arent in my way, and as long as i get the attention of the bride and groom when i need it. esp during formals. its really frustrating when you have 10 point and shoots behind you and you are trying to keep everyone focused.

but as long as you respect the pro photog...most are fine with it!

Jan 13 07 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Miko Was Here

Ventura, California, US

I shoot weddings and as long as others stay out of my way I do not mind them shooting. I will and  do step on and over any obstruction. (missing a shot as a wedding photographer is like not okay.)

I generaly don't want others shooting with flash especialy at the reception.

Ask the photographer some wedding guys are really uptight about it. (I think it's insecurity).

Jan 13 07 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 76 Photo

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I just don't like it when people pop out their cameras to take my posed/group shots etc...  Stay out of my way I was hired to do it not you.. blah blah blah.

I always tell the paster/preist if they don't allow flash that if he sees one, it's not from my camera!

Jan 13 07 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Oooh, I have a question...

What's the protocol for suggesting to your friend's obvious hack wedding photographer, who is using a flat flash for every shot of the wedding party, that he is in a church absolutely blooming with stained-glass-filtered natural light, and he might get better images by taking advantage of that?

Jan 13 07 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
what is protocol?

It's polite of you to ask the photographer, but most people don't.  I've shot many weddings and have gotten used to other cameras being around.  It's especially annoying when someone has seen you set up for the formals and they want to shoot over your shoulder! The way I deal with it is to announce in a loud and stern voice that it's alright to shoot AFTER I have shot what I NEED TO.  Most people understand that request.

Go ahead and shoot, but do your best to avoid interference with the hired photographer.

Jan 13 07 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay -That Guy- Graves

Chillicothe, Ohio, US

I actually had a family member LOUDLY proclaim that I didn't know what I was doing because my lens was so small (a f/1.8 50mm), and suggested that the b&g sue for their money back and give it to him to finish out the photographs with his HP point & shoot which is 'Just as good without the fancy flash and such'.
  I had to stop the session, upload to the laptop and give them a preview, at which point I offered to stop taking photos and give a partial refund, or have them quiet the offending family member.  They had the fellow kicked out, and sent me a $100 tip a few days later for the nightmare I'd endured.
  As horrid as it sounds, this is really the only time I've had a problem like this.  Most times, they hover about and snap photos at will, but rarely get in my way.

Jan 13 07 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

maryfatima

jon mmmayhem wrote:
haha yes!
although these people are pretty shameless, myself included.
and there's as much likelyhood that i will end up making a fool of myself as anyone else, so the blackmail is a double-edged sword.

Ah... yes the double caveat.  Funny how that is.  Have a blast shooting it.  I'd love to see what you shot when all is said and done.

Jan 13 07 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

maryfatima

Luminos wrote:
My problem:

Being invited and told to "bring your camera."

:-(

Gee... I've had that situation.  Am I a guest or what?!?

Jan 13 07 07:20 pm Link