Forums > General Industry > Paying a model and expected usage rights...

Photographer

Boho Foto

Atchison, Kansas, US

Taneka Bowles wrote:
I work as a fulltime model ~ i get paid
The photographer has never *not* given me images to use in my port. Now, granted.. the photographer has full rights to do whatever he wants with them, and i suppose if he really wanted to be an ass he could not allow me to both advertise himself as well as my own potential.

I wouldnt pay a model if she were not signing a release with full rights.
Just my opinion... wink

But why should you get images for free if the photographer has to pay you? Isn't the photographer's work of some value? Shouldn't the photographer at least get a discount off the fee you charge if they are providing you with a product? Otherwise, you are saying your work has value and deserves to be paid, but the photographer's is worthless.

How is it being an ass to assert that what you do has value and deserves some compensation, and shouldn't be given away for free?

I've been doing a lot of band work, and I'm tired of the mentality that when I provide photos to someone, they are doing ME some great service by using them without paying me.

Jan 14 07 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cristina Ashley wrote:
If I was getting paid for a shoot I wouldn't demand images....

I would *hope* that if the photographer and I were in good standing that maybe they would send me a high res file with the best photo for my port....but I wouldn't expect it.

If the photographer said no- i'd just take the money I made from him and pay for another great photographer to test with.

Hey! I'm available! you can pay me! - LOL!

I agree, if I'm paying a model, I always give them images to use in their port since it benefits me with exposure (as long as they credit me).

If a client is paying, then it is up to the client if the model can have any images.

Jan 14 07 09:50 am Link

Model

Taneka Bowles

Rising Sun, Maryland, US

Retro Photo wrote:
But why should you get images for free if the photographer has to pay you? Isn't the photographer's work of some value? Shouldn't the photographer at least get a discount off the fee you charge if they are providing you with a product? Otherwise, you are saying your work has value and deserves to be paid, but the photographer's is worthless.

How is it being an ass to assert that what you do has value and deserves some compensation, and shouldn't be given away for free?

I've been doing a lot of band work, and I'm tired of the mentality that when I provide photos to someone, they are doing ME some great service by using them without paying me.

smile look hun.. its to no offense on this one here!

If you are hired to do a job then you get paid, you sign the release.. and all is happy!

However, I have yet to come across one person who was not *glad* to share there work with others...

If you've created it... and its good stuff.. do you not want to be acknowledged for it.

See *that* is how people get to know who you are, your work and what your about...
I feel silly that i am answering this as this seems to be a very obvious thing here...

I mean no offense... if you dont want to give the pics..
Dont give them... I've managed to maybe not get pics from one or two people.. and frankly could care less. I work with plenty of other good photographers who are interested in putting the work they've done up in their portfolios and also interested in seeing *me* put their work up.

Most get offended when i do not.

Of course your work is not worthless.. if we thought that, we'd not want to have some copies of the images to show others how good they are!!

I most def would not "give rights" of those photos. Copies are all that are necessary, and if you dont wish to send her edited pics.. DONT!
Tell her to buy photoshop and get to learning wink

IMHO i just think that theres nothing wrong, whatsoever, with asking for copies of the pics... if you choose to give her 5 or 6 to share.. then so be it. Again, *you are* paying her.. and you in the end make the final decision.

smile
Good luck to you on that one

Taneka

Jan 14 07 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

The only way anyone can put a restriction on the distribution rights on my photographs is if they're paying me.  My take on it is that if I take the photo, I get full distribution rights unless I'm being paid not to.

If the model is not being paid at the shoot, they get a copy of all non-edited images right away and (depending on the type of shoot) they can use them for promotion, or use them for profit.  (Content shoots, where I shoot a model for my websites and hers, are both for profit and we each get whatever $$ we can from them.  Trade shoots usually end up with me having the distribution rights and we split the revenue from them...)

I do give a few samples to the models even if I am paying them for promotional purposes.  Anything I use as a sample to promote them on my websites is a photo they can use to promote themselves as well...

If someone is commissioning a shoot for their private use or for their websites, then they'll be paying for me and the model...

Jan 15 07 10:09 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Retro Photo wrote:

See:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=99664

M

Jan 15 07 11:53 am Link

Model

LoreCuba

Houston, Texas, US

Pamela Hunter wrote:

Amen!

I second that....

Jan 15 07 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Foto

Atchison, Kansas, US

StMarc wrote:

See:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=99664

M

Yep, that nails it pretty well. Sadly.

Although I think most of the bands I've run into would even try to get around paying a couple hundred for limited use. I know they're poor, but hey, it's the price of presenting yourself professionally.

They just don't get it in that world. But I'm sure modeling is totally different, right?

Right?!? ;-)

Jan 15 07 07:02 pm Link