Forums > General Industry > Honest Photographer Survey...

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

No harm in this, so answer honestly or don't answer..

For how many photographers out there is the goal of photography simply to make pictures of pretty girls?

Jan 08 07 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

I'll take the fifth

Jan 08 07 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

"Pretty girls" are less than 10% of my business. I like getting paid. Money can always buy "pretty."

Jan 08 07 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well, that's obviously part of it. There is a style and look that I like, and it's reflected in my work. But it's also not the only thing I do, as I also do a lot of macro photography and I like nature photography as well (although I don't do nearly enough of it). So, while I'd say taking pictures of pretty girls is one aspect of my photography it certainly isn't the only reason I do it.

Jan 08 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mike s Photo Works

San Bernardino, California, US

pretty or otherwise i shoot photos

Jan 08 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Not "get with" or "be around" pretty girls.. That's the GWC question and a different topic..

I'm talking about whether or not your idea of what a good model picture begins and ends with "start pretty" and don't mess it up.

Jan 08 07 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Sounds like pretty much another "are you just a GWC" thread. And hey, that's cool. In my case the answer is no. My website is proof of that.

Jan 08 07 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Not "get with" or "be around" pretty girls.. That's the GWC question and a different topic..

I'm talking about whether or not your idea of what a good llama picture begins and ends with "start pretty" and don't mess it up.

That being said, my anwers still no.

Jan 08 07 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

To create,discover,enhance, beauty in whomever I shoot.  And bring out whatever hidden talent, acting range that lies dormant within those (pretty girls)
These days I never pick up a camera unless I'm with an attractive woman. Nothing else inspires me to shoot images.

Jan 08 07 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

kombizz

London, England, United Kingdom

I guess I am more interested in taking photos rather to think about pretty girl.

I think everybody could be pretty if he/she spend their money for makeup tools, plastic operations, etc.

Jan 08 07 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Sorry man.....Not my goal.
I've just been lucky enough to shoot "pretty" & talented women along the way. 
The goal is to create pieces that I want to see or to get the image out of my head and on paper.

To achieve that goal I sometimes must:
create pieces I know I can sell
take boring headshots of "pretty girls"
take editorial images for newspapers/internet
take paid jobs of product shots, album covers, T-shirts, etc.

Jan 08 07 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

stephent

New York, New York, US

I want to take photos I want to look at later.  A lot of landscapes/cityscapes.  A bunch are women.  A bunch are bodyscapes.  Some are specific images I want to realize or bits of someone else's head I wanted to bring out and explore.   So it really depends.

Jan 08 07 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

Shooting "pretty" girls is not really a goal of mine, since I am interested in other avenues of photography as well.  It is just one area I enjoy working with others, allowing the creativeness of all to bring about a satisfactory "product".  I do not look at my photography as a hobby or a business, but as a passsion, therapy, and peace of mind. Beauty abounds in many areas, so why not photograph it!

Jan 08 07 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'm not knocking one side or the other.. I was just curious.. A lot of people who say, no, don't have a picture anywhere showing even the smallest hint of a blemish.. 

I find people interesting..  Sometimes because they're pretty, but usually for more than that.  Sometimes I see something I want to bring out that has nothing to do with pretty, and I get paranoid because I've just shot a model, and what if the image in my head doesn't match up to her standards of what pictures of models should look like..  I've spent a year learning to fight blemishes, smooth skin (and I'm not saying I'm good at it..)  But as I get closer and closer to being good, I find myself more and more being drawn to the very bits of character I'm supposed to be getting rid of..

I know thinking like this isn't going to make me rich or famous, and god knows I like pictures of pretty girls as much as the next guy.. But sometimes there's so much more that's beautiful, to me, then just "pretty"..

Jan 08 07 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Not me.
I wouldn't need to continually spend the amount of time & $ I do just to take pics of pretty girls.
I enjoy winning competitions, the approbation of my peers, and the occasional check.

Jan 08 07 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Most of the stuff I've done is landscape work when I go backpacking.  Prett girls is a nice bonus though wink

Jan 08 07 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Nope... Ill shoot "pretty" just to make it ugly.. or "ugly" to make it pretty. It all depends on what I want to accomplish. One need not be gorgeous to have me want to work with them.

Jan 08 07 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

No, my goal is not to end up with pretty pictures. My goal is to end up with images that fit a concept in my head, sometimes on the mark, other times loosely. If that concept involves a girl looking pretty, then I aim for that. If the concept does NOT require pretty, or specifically should not be pretty, then I ail for 'not pretty'.

Jan 08 07 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shooting pretty and naked women is fun, but it's bubble gum photography. Unless your someone like vonUnworth pulling in the big clients and bucks. Even then, even with some cool shots, it's never really important photography.

Everyone seems to be doing the same thing with the nudie pics, nothing groundbreaking.

If anyone is interested in seeing some really cool nudie stuff, try checking out Sam Haskins work from the sixtys; Cowboy Kate& Other Stories, new book edition was just re-released. Give yourself a bench mark for quality and imagination.

For me important photography documents life and history, the happy and the sad, and all the other things in between; important moments captured.

Jan 08 07 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

There has to be something else about the models' look that will make me want to work with them. It's not just a matter of having a pretty face with me.

Jan 08 07 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

For how many photographers out there is the goal of photography simply to make pictures of pretty girls?

My goal is always to have fun creating photos.  Sometimes models are present, often they are not.

Jan 08 07 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

"pretty" is all i care about.  why would i shoot anything else?  if you want reality, just look around.

Jan 08 07 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

It certainly is one of my goals.  Some others are pretty flowers, pretty ducks, pretty sunsets.  Then I start on the not so pretty.

Jan 08 07 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Ferguson

Nassau, Minnesota, US

My goal is to make unique photos not just of pretty girls. Thats not my intention.

Jan 08 07 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Taulman

Chicago, Illinois, US

No, what would be the fun in that. I am out to make interesting pictures, no matter what my subject may be.

Jan 08 07 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Michelle Allmon

State College, Pennsylvania, US

I am a pretty girl. I like to make unique images.

Jan 08 07 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

shootmike

Vinita, Oklahoma, US

Who would want to take pictures of ugly girls?  All girls are pretty to me in one way or another....

Mike

Jan 08 07 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

well for me, I find that "pretty" people are often ones that also come with a great deal of confidence and they invest the time in their appearances and their personal lives.  However for me, it's about performance and character.  There are some really interesting characters out there and if they express it visually, i love that!

But I don't judge from pretty or not, it's all subjective.

Jan 08 07 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...well, I enjoy photographing beauty-comes in many varieties, shapes and forms.
Pretty is amoung the latter.
I have photographed women from 18 to 90 years of age and "pretty" is in the eyes of the beholder and creator, so I'm not sure who's the judge.

Jan 08 07 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Nope.  Pretty girls are redundant.

Jan 08 07 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Foto

Atchison, Kansas, US

Okay, being new, I have to ask...what does GWC stand for? ;-)

Anyway, I'm looking for a quality in someone that is provocative, whether traditionally beautiful or not. And if I can't get something unusual or provocative, then I'll settle for beautiful.

Jan 08 07 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

duh. what else is there? guys? no thanks.

Jan 08 07 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Foto

Atchison, Kansas, US

Anthony Wallace wrote:
duh. what else is there? guys? no thanks.

I love shooting men. But then I AM female.

Jan 08 07 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I'm not knocking one side or the other.. I was just curious.. A lot of people who say, no, don't have a picture anywhere showing even the smallest hint of a blemish.. 

I find people interesting..  Sometimes because they're pretty, but usually for more than that.  Sometimes I see something I want to bring out that has nothing to do with pretty, and I get paranoid because I've just shot a model, and what if the image in my head doesn't match up to her standards of what pictures of models should look like..  I've spent a year learning to fight blemishes, smooth skin (and I'm not saying I'm good at it..)  But as I get closer and closer to being good, I find myself more and more being drawn to the very bits of character I'm supposed to be getting rid of..

I know thinking like this isn't going to make me rich or famous, and god knows I like pictures of pretty girls as much as the next guy.. But sometimes there's so much more that's beautiful, to me, then just "pretty"..

And that's a fact, Jack!

Oh yeah. I want to take images of beautiful women, but I want to take pics of everyhting. I haven't had much luck finding models since deciding to try glamour type stuff, but I keep trying.

I also look for faces with a lot of character, 'cause these faces, in thier own way, are more beautiful than a pimple free, photoshopped, wax faced implied idea of beauty that we're constantly bombarded with.
Everything! from wax beauty to snow covered landscapes. Just beautiful imagery is my goal. Even if ugly is the beauty of it.

Jan 08 07 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

pai

San Diego, California, US

"pretty" girls are often STUCK UP and I hate shooting them.
PLUS I am a female.. and I am not into girls.
Its not just the model that makes the shot look good either..atleast in my opinion.

Jan 08 07 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

pai wrote:
"pretty" girls are often STUCK UP and I hate shooting them.
PLUS I am a female.. and I am not into girls.
Its not just the llama that makes the shot look good either..atleast in my opinion.

I suppose I could have made the OP pretty "the gender of interest to the photographer"

But that sounds weird.

Jan 08 07 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Retro Photo wrote:
...I'm looking for a quality in someone that is provocative, whether traditionally beautiful or not. And if I can't get something unusual or provocative, then I'll settle for beautiful.

...and if I can't get someone beautiful, I'll settle for pretty.  And if I can't get anyone pretty...

Jan 08 07 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
oops, misread

As you well know Bill I'm a totally honest photographer who cannot tell a lie and therefore I'm compelled to tell you that I never speak the truth.
Having said that I admit to only being into photography for the "PRETTY" nekkid girl shots.
Thanks for asking and have a great day!

Jan 08 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

The defense objects on the grounds that "simply" is not defined and is a prejudicial term.

M

Jan 08 07 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

San Francisco, California, US

Okay here goes:

30% - Travel & Editorial Pictures (Paid and Unpaid)
40% - Boring People Pictures (Mostly Paid)
10% - Event Pictures (Paid and Non-Profit Charities)
10% - Landscape (Unpaid)
5% - Pictures of Bugs (Unpaid)
5% - Pictures of Hunks & Babes (Paid and Mostly Unpaid)

Jan 08 07 08:26 pm Link