Forums > General Industry > Baffled by models choices

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Carole Hayes wrote:
On a shoot where images are part or all of my payment, I'd like to have some say over which images I get -- otherwise, there's no guarantee that I'll get what I want/need out of the shoot, in which case:  why am I accepting these images as partial/full payment?

Because life is not always fair and there are Never any guarantees...  If the Photographer is accepting those same images as partial/full payment what is his guarantee that he will get anything he wants?

Carole Hayes wrote:
What I would like would be for the photographer to weed out the shots that he finds unacceptable and then show me the rest; let me weed out facial expressions/poses that I find embarrassing/unflattering, and then have each of us select the shots we want to showcase from those that are left.

This is the only way to do it for everyone to be happy...

Carole Hayes wrote:
I understand that this would take a bit more time, but if both parties are happier with the end result, isn't it worth it?

Absolutely most definitely!

Jan 10 07 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

Guy looks at pictures, sees some he likes.

Girl looks at pictures, sees some she likes.

There's a 2 picture overlap.

You are doing better than average, I'd say.  How many times have you agreed with women you know well, much less non-intimates.

So you must be in touch with your feminine side, there, guy.

Jan 10 07 11:30 pm Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

Carole Hayes wrote:
On a shoot where images are part or all of my payment, I'd like to have some say over which images I get -- otherwise, there's no guarantee that I'll get what I want/need out of the shoot, in which case:  why am I accepting these images as partial/full payment?

Hamza wrote:
Because life is not always fair and there are Never any guarantees...  If the Photographer is accepting those same images as partial/full payment what is his guarantee that he will get anything he wants?

Yes, it's true that there are no guarantees -- but if I'm working with a photographer on a trade basis, I've agreed to do so because I like his style, and I expect to have a say in what we shoot and I fully expect to end up with some usable shots -- otherwise, I wouldn't be doing the shoot. 

Yes, he's accepting those images as partial/full payment, and there's no guarantee for him either. 

But we both have input into what gets shot -- I think it's only fair that we each get to reject photos that reflect poorly on us, and select photos that we believe will benefit us.  You can say "life's not fair" all you want, but I'm not talking about life in general:  I'm talking about a trade shoot, and it should be fair.

Am I being unreasonable??

Jan 11 07 11:09 am Link

Photographer

MalePortfolios

Anaheim, California, US

I think that the basic thing is... as so many have already said... The model is looking at their images one way, and the photographer views the work in another. If both groups could go to several agencies and get critiques on the work, it would be a LOT easier for everyone to figure out what types of images that ought to REALLY be created.

Funny thing though... in one day, I visited 6 agencies, got six totally different reviews of the images in the book! Each agent had widely varying "personal best" choices. NONE of them agreed on ANY of the same shots. That alone taught me that, well, each agency was searching for a certain "look" that matches the image of their particular agency or exact models for their upcoming clients projects. There is no absolute "right or wrong" when it comes to this business.

I've seen shots in books where the images are out-of-focus, blown-out highlights, washed out images, horrific cropping, "monster" lighting, make-up nightmares, wierd off-color images, poor clothing choices, horrible hair, lame or strange backgrounds... And quite honestly, NONE of it seemed to make a differance to the agencies! In fact, many times they seemed to applaude the "uniqueness" of the images, as if the photographer actually MEANT to make these mistakes. Augh! And granted sometimes those things ARE a way of self-expression for those of us in the creative world. (But when you've critiqued enough images, it becomes very obvious when a photographer really means to create their art this way, versus sloppy or shoddy workmanship.)

Well... my 2 cents on the subject.

Jan 11 07 11:56 am Link