Forums > General Industry > Ever since I started photography..

Model

TIFFANY A

.. no photographers want to work with me anymore.
Many photographers used to contact me for TFCD but as soon as I stepped behind the lens they don't contact me or reply to my emails.

I'm very frustrated right now because I've had photographers plan out shoots with me and even give me time frames as to when this will happen then when they find out I do photography, I never hear from them again. I'm being known as a photographer instead of a model now.

What's wrong? Do photographers not like working with models who also step behind the lens? sad

Jan 05 07 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Could just be their own insecurities coming out.

Jan 05 07 06:21 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

They'll realize that you know more about photography than they do, so they'll be intimidated???

Jan 05 07 06:24 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

i'd shoot you in a minute!what ever the problem is, it isn't you, believe me.It maybe you have just hit a dry spell like we all do once and awhile,I scream and groan about "no shows" and then I get overloaded with models,sometimes it goes like that.

Jan 05 07 06:25 am Link

Model

TIFFANY A

Thanks for the replies!

I feel as if my photography has over-shadowed my modeling. It just sucks that it's almost as if I have to be a model or a photographer.. I can't be both.. ?

Jan 05 07 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Add those guys to the GWC list - a "real" photographer will shoot anyone willing to get in front of his lens -

Jan 05 07 06:34 am Link

Model

TIFFANY A

It sucks cuz the photographers I'm referring to are actually very talented and are by no means "GWC"s. I would never put them in that description considering the amount of talent they possess. Not ALL of them are the greatest photogs, but I can respect them for what they do and the images they create. However, I'm not happy with the fact that it's all too coincedental that they all stopped talking to me ever since I started a photography page here on MM (which I've taken down) & that my website has been split into my modeling and photography portfolios.

Jan 05 07 06:40 am Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Ahhh... There are ALWAYS some WetBlanket people who, yes, DO NOT want you to be a great ______ (whatever it is you are becoming). IMH experience they quite often have NO IDEA they are stabbing and slashing you. Often they're your FRIENDS.  Such a sad thing. They come out when you are poised to grow...

So I'll bet you are growing!

Congrats, Move On, and "Don't let the bastards get you down!"

Jan 05 07 06:46 am Link

Model

TIFFANY A

northern clicker wrote:
Ahhh... There are ALWAYS some WetBlanket people who, yes, DO NOT want you to be a great ______ (whatever it is you are becoming). IMH experience they quite often have NO IDEA they are stabbing and slashing you. Often they're your FRIENDS.  Such a sad thing. They come out when you are poised to grow...

So I'll bet you are growing!

Congrats, Move On, and "Don't let the bastards get you down!"

Thanks for this reply! It just saddens me that I got along great with these photogs and my interest in photography seems to have made them all disappear.

It's like a model not wanting to work with me because I'm also a model..

Jan 05 07 06:58 am Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Hey, I went to your site and there ain't NOTHIN' wrong with what you're doing. Just keep doing it. And not to get all specific or anything, but I think your sh*t is GOOOOD.

Jan 05 07 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Speaking only for myself -- whether you are a photographer, a brain surgeon, a bartender, a stripper or a librarian would make absolutely no difference to me in my decision to work with you or not. And actually, I find the idea of a model who is also a photographer intriguing.

It may just be that some doors have been closed to you -- but others will be opened if you just look for them. Contact new and different photographers from the ones you've worked with before. Don't hide the fact that you're also a photographer, but don't make a big deal about it. For example, if you were one, you wouldn't write a photographer and say, "I'm a lesbian -- want to shoot me?" Similarly, you don't need to explain your interest in photography to every photographer.

Regards,
Paul

Koala wrote:
Many photographers used to contact me for TFCD but as soon as I stepped behind the lens they don't contact me or reply to my emails.

I'm very frustrated right now because I've had photographers plan out shoots with me and even give me time frames as to when this will happen then when they find out I do photography, I never hear from them again. I'm being known as a photographer instead of a model now.

What's wrong? Do photographers not like working with models who also step behind the lens? sad

Jan 05 07 07:18 am Link

Model

TIFFANY A

northern clicker wrote:
Hey, I went to your site and there ain't NOTHIN' wrong with what you're doing. Just keep doing it. And not to get all specific or anything, but I think your sh*t is GOOOOD.

THANK YOU!! smile

bang bang photo wrote:
Speaking only for myself -- whether you are a photographer, a brain surgeon, a bartender, a stripper or a librarian would make absolutely no difference to me in my decision to work with you or not. And actually, I find the idea of a model who is also a photographer intriguing.

It may just be that some doors have been closed to you -- but others will be opened if you just look for them. Contact new and different photographers from the ones you've worked with before. Don't hide the fact that you're also a photographer, but don't make a big deal about it. For example, if you were one, you wouldn't write a photographer and say, "I'm a lesbian -- want to shoot me?" Similarly, you don't need to explain your interest in photography to every photographer.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for your reply, Paul! I never bring up my photography when discussing a shoot as a model. I started hearing crickets the moment I opened a MM account for my photography and had it stated in my "about me" in my model MM account that I've also started fashion photography. I'm definetly going to start contacting other photographers too.

Jan 05 07 07:25 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

There are some who do not enjoy shooting around other photographers... This might have to do with insecurities, or with not wanting to bother with anothers opinion on lighting, posing, etc.

If you're wanting to shoot with someone as a model I don't see why you would being up your photography. Some might see this as bothersome... That rather than doing your job as a model, you'd inundate them with photography questions.

That being said I would love to work with you.

Jan 05 07 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

That's odd... I've been *wanting* to shoot with model-photographers, but so far they've all either flaked out or not answered emails.

I think it would be great to collaborate with someone who could challenge me artistically, who would have their own ideas about lighting and style to add to the mix.

Inundate away! I like questions, and I'm a geek at heart so I'll talk as much about my lighting, settings, and process as the model will stay awake for.

Maybe offer "TFTF"? Many photographers (myself included) have really crappy portraits.

Jan 05 07 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

I'd shoot you if you live closer. . . and willing to work with me, of course. wink

Jan 05 07 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

Koala wrote:

I know the feeling, cause i have gotten it from some

Jan 05 07 09:33 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

but as you can see i am still going at it smile and still getting shoots done smile

Jan 05 07 09:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

how about we do a shoot where i shoot you and you shoot me... and i can do your makeup too smile

Jan 05 07 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

I would think having a model that understood photography, lighting and post processing would make my job as a photographer simpler. I can't think of one reason to not work with a model that feels comfortable on either side of the camera.

So, if you ever plan to make a trip to my part of the world drop me a line. I think it might be fun to work with you no matter which side of the lens you want to be on.

Bill
http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill

Jan 05 07 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Koala wrote:

It could be a myriad of things…
…Could be insecurity (doubt it)…
…Could be intimidation (doubt it)…
…Could be that [some] photographers are very secretive about their personal lighting formulas, techniques, and workflow (much more likely).

Some photographers don’t and some don’t care. If I was in your position, I wouldn’t post the I photographed in any modeling bio, just like if I was to model I wouldn’t post that information on my photography website.

Other than that, next time you’re in my area hit me up! Shoot, coffee, talk shop, w/e.

-Ciao

Jan 05 07 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kovacs Photography

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I have no problem working with a model who is also a photographer.  I've worked with some in the past and it's great to work with someone that can give you another perspective.  I don't always want to work in the box but sometimes I like to step outside the box.

www.mk-photography.com

Jan 05 07 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

I don't think "being a photographer" has any thing to do with it. There are other reasons below the surface.... I can't put my finger on it, but I know it's there.

Jan 05 07 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Koala wrote:
Do photographers not like working with models who also step behind the lens? sad

I know another model who has had this experience. What happens is that you realize that a lot of the photographers out there don't know what they're doing. And it shows. Depending on how strong the photographer's self-image is, they might not be able to handle it.

Jan 05 07 09:56 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

What a bummer. I would say that if those people can't accept your transition then they really can go jump. Its got to be disappointing, but you can't control the actions of others. Look at it this way... they've revealed their true colors. They saved you the effort of discovering it on your own. Think of what could have happened if you didn't get this type of insight into their character.

Best of luck with both of your goals!

Jan 05 07 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I've had models bring along boyfriends who are also photographers, and who sit there watching everything you do, even taking notes sometimes. At first I was a little annoyed because I felt like they were getting a chance to steal my hard-earned tricks and techniques. But then I figured, so what? I'm not exactly god. Once I figured that out, I don't care who watches -- idiots, super pros, whatever -- bring it on.

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

I know another model who has had this experience. What happens is that you realize that a lot of the photographers out there don't know what they're doing. And it shows. Depending on how strong the photographer's self-image is, they might not be able to handle it.

Jan 05 07 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

So true! I've seen a lot of that in my life. People want to put you in a certain box, and keep you there for the rest of your life. They get annoyed when you make a transition. I've had it happen with significant others, children, co-workers, employers, you name it.

You just have to smile and move on. They either come with you or they don't, but if you let them, people will trap you into a hellish mediocrity where you're never allowed to grow and evolve.

Paul

NC17 wrote:
What a bummer. I would say that if those people can't accept your transition then they really can go jump. Its got to be disappointing, but you can't control the actions of others. Look at it this way... they've revealed their true colors. They saved you the effort of discovering it on your own. Think of what could have happened if you didn't get this type of insight into their character.

Best of luck with both of your goals!

Jan 05 07 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Approaching this from another angle, it's possible they've worked with model/photographer combos before (they seem to be quite common) and didn't care for the experience for one reason or another. Perhaps a previous person asked too many questions about what was going on, and he found it irritating that he was expecting a model, but instead got a student.

Jan 05 07 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Tom Winstead

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Glenn Worton wrote:
Add those guys to the GWC list - a "real" photographer will shoot anyone willing to get in front of his lens -

Hmmm, I disagree. Unless the "anyone" or a client is paying, I am pretty selective about who I shoot.

Jan 05 07 10:06 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

It's not really you Koala... it's the fact that you're from British Colombia... and British Columbia's provincial mammal is the Spirit Bear (also known as the Kermode Bear)... and everyone knows photographers and Stephen Colbert HATE BEARS … they are, quoting Colbert, "godless killing machines without a soul"!!! And given the fact that your name is Koala... well... it's that bear thing again.

Jan 05 07 10:19 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

You might try keeping your modeling and your photography somewhat separated - model under an alias, shoot under your real name, something like that.  Have separate websites for your two portfolios, etc.  You can always tell the people in person whom you want to know.  I suspect it's the same mentality that has many photographers not wanting any other photographers on set to steal their secrets, or whatever.

I know many people who do both, but at least until they are established at doing both, most keep things somewhat separated.

Might be an approach worth trying, anyway.  (Unless the horses are already out of the barn, as it were.)

Jan 05 07 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Aaron S wrote:

ditto

I don't know much about photography, at least the tech side so I'd probably be intimidated.

Jan 05 07 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

I think you are in need of a road trip!  There are lots of photographers outside your area that would love the chance to work with you (raises hand)!

Jan 05 07 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen MS

Long Beach, California, US

I'd set up a shoot with you; if you lived in Califorina. But I agree it might just be a dry spell. And not to mention maybe the photographers don't take themselves serious. I've come across a lot of models who say they'll work with me and I never hear from them again. And from your port you sound very professional, so it isn't you.

Jan 05 07 03:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

Koala wrote:

Well might be that they don't want you to learn their cool tricks.
In a sense you are a competition. Hummm.... Would be like a free photography workshop for you. Not only will you be shooting you will be also taking notes down automatically because this is your field.

Who knows. ::CHEESE!::

Jan 05 07 03:38 pm Link

Model

TIFFANY A

Thank you to EVERYONE that posted!! It's great to hear everyones opinions, especially by the photographers.

Just to make it clear, I do not let the photographers know that I also do photography. They find out on their own by going to my website or seeing my photography MM page (which is now gone).

Like someone else said, I guess I'm going to have to be Clark Kent and Superman, being two different people but not letting anyone know.. but that sounds really silly and UNFAIR.

I photograph professional models without feeling insecure or intimidated or anything like that. They always love that I'm a model because I can understand their position. I always thought a photographer would have loved that I was dabbling into photography, considering I'd be able to model a lot better knowing what it's like behind the lens. I'm glad that there are some photographers out there that do like working with a model/photographer or would.

Also, when I model, I am JUST a model. I shut off my "photographer" side and only concentrate on what I'm there to do. I would also never ask the photographer questions about photography or try to steal any kinds of techniques. I learned everything on my own and prefer it that way. However, if a photographer offered me advice and brought it up themselves then I would listen as a student and learn what they are wanting to teach me.

When I'm the photographer, I let the model be the model. I don't talk about how I model or anything like that. The only time my modeling is brought up is if they ask me about it or we exchange "modeling stories".

Well, I guess I'll just have to find other photographers and hope they don't mind me being in photography as well. Or maybe I'll have to make some trips..

Thanks again for the replies. I really appreciate the feedback.

Jan 05 07 06:03 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

bang bang photo wrote:
I think there's a lot of truth to that. I've had models bring along boyfriends who are also photographers, and who sit there watching everything you do, even taking notes sometimes. At first I was a little annoyed because I felt like they were getting a chance to steal my hard-earned tricks and techniques. But then I figured, so what? I'm not exactly god. Once I figured that out, I don't care who watches -- idiots, super pros, whatever -- bring it on.

My boyfriend is a photographer as well, though he would never DARE take notes, lol, frankly he's too lazy for that! But he does really enjoy talking to photographers about their craft. He's very charismatic and just likes coming to shoots with me because its fun. He's also an extremely good extra set of hands to have around, because he understands the value of equipment and knows how to handle things, as well as hold lights, reflectors, etc so that it benefits the photographer, not hinders them. I think you're right, if you're too insecure about your skills that you can't allow someone to watch you, then thats your own issue. I am an artist, where would I be if I were too insecure to allow students and parents from the rest of the art classes not to watch me over my shoulder sometimes? Painting in a dark closet? That does no good! And seriously, what is someone really going to gain that you will lose? Its not like grandma's secret cookie recipe...

Jan 05 07 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

i dont see what the big deal is. i think its awesome when the model understands what i'm doing!

Jan 05 07 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Oh well, they're weird.

Jan 05 07 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Harmon

Austin, Texas, US

Bizarre.  I wouldn't think twice about photographing you.

Jan 06 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

Aaron S wrote:

that makes sense.......you can have it all though...don't let that slow anything down...u don't seem like the type who would

u've got an awesome port btw

Jan 06 07 12:31 am Link