Model

Heidi P.

OK I know I'm being dumb, but what is TFCD?

Jan 03 07 05:39 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Jan 03 07 05:40 am Link

Model

Heidi P.

BlindMike wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/faq.php#q18

Jan 03 07 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Not dumb Heidi, its an internet thing, not common with real pro photographers.

By the way, nice look : )

Jan 03 07 06:11 am Link

Model

Heidi P.

Lightwave Photography wrote:

Thanks very much.

Jan 03 07 06:13 am Link

Photographer

alan Pickering

Warrington, England, United Kingdom

I'm a pro, and I do tfcd frequently!

Jan 03 07 08:19 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

It will be TFDVD by the end of the year.

Jan 03 07 12:47 pm Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

You just can't miss a chance to slam TFP/CD, can you?

If you don't like it and don't want to do it, that's fine -- but your digs at those who do are unnecessary and immature.

Get over it already!

Jan 03 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TFCD - Time For CD
TFP - Time For Prints
TFPT - Time For Plane Tickets ( Pick me, pick me...lol) smile
TFD - Time For Donuts smile
TFAPTS - Time For A Place To Stay smile

Jan 03 07 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

TFF

Time for Furniture. I've actually done it.

Jan 03 07 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

All that stuff that starts with "TF" is what those who appreciate the creation of art, sometimes do. It's not mercenary, doesn't pay bills and appeals to those who simply love the arts....but not necessarily for the money.

Jan 03 07 12:56 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ward wrote:
TFCD - Time For CD
TFP - Time For Prints
TFPT - Time For Plane Tickets ( Pick me, pick me...lol) smile
TFD - Time For Donuts smile
TFAPTS - Time For A Place To Stay smile

You're forgetting:

TFF: Trade for Food (under which the below qualify):
TFCS: Time For Cold Stone
TFP: Time for Pizza
TFCF: Time for Chinese Food
TFHCCC: Time for Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies smile (I haven't done this one yet, but I'm open to working something out ;D )

Perhaps also TFWP: Time for Wardrobe Pieces or even TFS: Trade for Shoes!

(Edit: I've done the food-related stuff, and have been given a couple articles of clothing before... a girl can dream about some of the other stuf... can't she? LOL!)

Jan 03 07 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Not an internet thing. A digital age thing. Before digital cameras, TFP was the order of the day for testing purposes.
And yes, pros did TFP just as now they TFCD since it's cheaper to give a CD of digital images than pay for film, processing and printing.

Jan 03 07 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I've done TFWP and TFS before smile
Maybe I'll look you up next time I visit my family in Round Lake Beach!

RachelJ wrote:

You're forgetting:

TFHCCC: Time for Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies smile (I haven't done this one yet, but I'm open to working something out ;D )

Jan 03 07 12:59 pm Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

RachelJ wrote:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I LIKE the thought of Time for Wardrobe Pieces! 

I once did TFiP:  Time for iPod -- we use that thing every day!  : )

Jan 03 07 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Mikes Images - Mike #4 wrote:
All that stuff that starts with "TF" is what those who appreciate the creation of art, sometimes do. It's not mercenary, doesn't pay bills and appeals to those who simply love the arts....but not necessarily for the money.

well put

Jan 03 07 01:01 pm Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
Not an internet thing. A digital age thing. Before digital cameras, TFP was the order of the day for testing purposes.
And yes, pros did TFP just as now they TFCD since it's cheaper to give a CD of digital images than pay for film, processing and printing.

Very true!

I was advised by the first photographer I worked with (who WAS a pro -- he used to shoot for Playboy, had done magazine covers and had shot celebrities) that until I got good enough to charge on a regular basis, that I should request TFP to build my portfolio.  (HE actually paid me, but said that I needed photos from lots of photographers for the port, and said TFP was the quickest and easiest way to do it.) 

That was back in 1993!

Jan 03 07 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

TFCP = Time for CHICKEN PIE!!
big_smile

Jan 03 07 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RachelJ wrote:

You're forgetting:

(Edit: I've done the food-related stuff, and have been given a couple articles of clothing before... a girl can dream about some of the other stuf... can't she? LOL!)

lmao smile I have a model coming here from Philly to shoot this month...she's baking me peanut butter cookies....mmmm smile

Jan 03 07 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

you might have sacred the OP with all these terminologies. i get dizzy just trying to remember them.
i like TFF. smile i can cook some mean italian dishes. any models wanting to try contact me. smile

Jan 03 07 01:09 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Heidi Pinkney wrote:
OK I know I'm being dumb, but what is TFCD?

Heidi, hi, happy '07!  TFCD means "Time For Coffee and Donuts"

Jan 03 07 01:11 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

C David Stephens wrote:
It will be TFDVD by the end of the year.

big_smile  Been done.

Jan 03 07 01:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

ward wrote:
lmao smile I have a model coming here from Philly to shoot this month...she's baking me peanut butter cookies....mmmm smile

COOKIESSSSS YUMMY. Any TFS/TTS/TTG
Time for Share/Time to Share/Time to Give

COOKIESSSSS!!!! ARGH ARGH ARGH!

But I love oatmeal cookies best tongue

Jan 04 07 12:56 am Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

San Francisco, California, US

Well, I'm offering TFPC!

Seriously,  TFPC = Time for PC -> HP Pentium 4 2.4GHz 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, XP Pro,  hardly used black desktop.  No monitor but comes with new keyboard  and mouse!

Jan 04 07 01:08 am Link

Model

Carole Hayes

Garland, Texas, US

ImageConcepts wrote:
Well, I'm offering TFPC!

Seriously,  TFPC = Time for PC -> HP Pentium 4 2.4GHz 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, XP Pro,  hardly used black desktop.  No monitor but comes with new keyboard  and mouse!

California is too far from Dallas!!  (I'd take you up on it!)  sigh....

Jan 04 07 02:04 am Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Carole Hayes wrote:

You just can't miss a chance to slam TFP/CD, can you?

If you don't like it and don't want to do it, that's fine -- but your digs at those who do are unnecessary and immature.

Get over it already!

Whoa there, lady.  It seems you are the one with the problem! Talk about an agressive response to a mild comment.
I have been a pro for almost thirty years..what he said is TRUE! TFP/TFCD is not COMMON with pro photographers.  It doesn't mean we don't do it..just not often, mainly because we either don't need to or can't afford to donate our time in a trade arrangement except for very exceptional models (male or female).  I charge $1,000 to do a portfolio and have plenty of business, thanks so if I agree to a TFP/TFCD deal and it takes a day, that's a $1,000 opportunity cost to my business - it better be worth it.
He didn't say he didn't like it!  He didn't say he didn't want to do it! And his observation was in no way a dig at anyone...so I have to ask myself, who is being immature....get over it

Jan 04 07 02:16 am Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

most of the best photographers don't shoot "portfolios" or use the term "pro"

one side of the industry trying to belittle the way another side of the industry works
is kind of small minded don't you think?

nothing published avoids being digitized anymore, disks are the preferred physical delivery method, and it has been that way for years.  do your publication clients still want prints?

or don't you have any?

David Pankhurst Photo wrote:

Whoa there, lady.  It seems you are the one with the problem! Talk about an agressive response to a mild comment.
I have been a pro for almost thirty years..what he said is TRUE! TFP/TFCD is not COMMON with pro photographers.  It doesn't mean we don't do it..just not often, mainly because we either don't need to or can't afford to donate our time in a trade arrangement except for very exceptional models (male or female).  I charge $1,000 to do a portfolio and have plenty of business, thanks so if I agree to a TFP/TFCD deal and it takes a day, that's a $1,000 opportunity cost to my business - it better be worth it.
He didn't say he didn't like it!  He didn't say he didn't want to do it! And his observation was in no way a dig at anyone...so I have to ask myself, who is being immature....get over it

Jan 04 07 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Hi Heidi and other newer models Ill elaborate:

TFCD/TFP is when a model poses for photos in exchange for prints.  In theory this sounds reasonable but in practice you are better off paying a professional when you are starting out, here's why:

1-Most aspiring, new models do not have one in a million or really outstanding looks that would get a top level photographer interested in photographing them TFCD. 

2-The next level of photographers are solid, talented professional photographers that do photography for a living and charge new models a reasonable amount for a model portfolio.  The advantages of this is you decide what kind of photos you want-the photographer does not do it mainly for his/her purposes.  You deal with a professional with a reputation to maintain(assuming you did your homework and found a good one, of course there are bad professionals but less likely than hobbyiests primarily doing TFCDS) so he/she is less likely to be innapropriate with you.

Also when you pay a professional starting out you are demonstrating that you value the time and respect the process.  So in the future, as long as you were on time, have a good look and can learn, the working professional will consider you for paid assignments.  Photographers that mainly do TFCD rarely have connections to paid work and most are hobbyiests.

This site has many more hobbyiests than working professionals so you will get a bias towards TFCD.  The other problem is there are photographers pretending to be hobbyiests or want you for "special projects" and offer you free pics but dont tell you that you will have to pose topless or nude to get the pics at the session.

The business model for them is they have you sign a release that they make all the profits on the nude pics or you dont get them.  Then if you didnt want to do that kind of photography you have that stuff circulating around which could damage your career.

In contrast, a good professional will charge you for portfolio photos and updates.  However, the professional will pay you when he used photos of you commercially rather than reap all the profits on the socalled free for the model TFCD deal(not really free because the model usually signs over any money made on the photographer selling the photos and very likely they will try to get you to pose topless and nude because its obviously easier to sell those to raunchy magazines).

Also it is much more likely that hobbyiests doing TFCD will never get you your pics(because its a hobby and it may take months for them to get around to doing them for you).  They may also want you to do photos for their own pet projects and nothing you need for your career or personal use;  again much less likely when you pay a professional because they want your business and will do what you need for yourself.

Most importantly, the chances of you getting really bad poorly done photos is much higher doing TFCD because when you pay an established fulltime professional he/she has to do work people like that is good or not stay in business.

There of course are exceptions to every rule but not often.

My point is, especially when you're starting out, don't see a photographer just because it's TFCD and free.  It is usually worth it to invest in paying the best professional you can afford(and a few hundred dollars is not alot to invest in a career) when you're starting out for the reasons I outlined.

Best of luck,

Jon

Jan 04 07 03:38 am Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

no offense to anyone meant here, but i think this largely depends on the market you are in.
in more competitive markets everyone is testing as much as possible. 
a larger and larger percentage of published work in the fashion magazines is shot on a speck or test basis, where compensation is either the promise of a tear sheet or a selection of images after the story is shopped and sold, or not. 
with few exceptions the primary incentive for being involved in an editorial shoot is the exposure it will generate for you. 
advertising photographers market themselves with that "personal work" some here want you to avoid.  which gets in front of every major advertising agency, essentially it ends up being free direct marketing for the model, the price of which is staggering by the way, add a disk of images and you are getting a hell of a deal. 
it all comes down to the quality of the work being offered, but a tfcd from someone who makes their living from high quality low volume published photography will almost certainly be better and do more for you than will images from the local wedding/high school, family portrait guy, no matter what he charges you.
(no offense to the wedding guys, i am sure many of them make more $$ than many of the editorial guys.)
yes the "test for" route is a longer one, but few will honestly disagree that "if done right"
it is how the best model portfolios get built.
consider this if "test for" sucks so bad why is it so important to the large market fashion modeling industry?  consider also what is the motivation of who is giving you advice.
don't get me wrong, many of the people charging money for shoots are worth the $ even if it is just for the quality of what they do, and the time it should save you in building your first portfolio, but to be dismissive on the "test for" process is highly misleading, and probably financially motivated.
heidi if in your market nobody wants to test with you, you must have to reevaluate your place in it, and heidi if you are continually spending more money trying to be a model then you are making, you should reevaluate your agency, photographer support, and finally your expectations from the market you have targeted.

good luck,

rich

Jan 04 07 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

So by real pro you mean people who started with film? Or perhaps people over 40 who make 50K plus annually solely off sales of their images? Or maybe elitists who are scared of change? I'm not sure what you mean here.

Jan 04 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Photography

Riverside, California, US

how about TFM? Time For Massage

Jan 04 07 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I'd be willing to shoot a model in exchange for a good massage from her!!! tongue

ASCimages wrote:
how about TFM? Time For Massage

Jan 04 07 12:29 pm Link

Model

Heidi P.

Anyone fancy some TFP (pizza) I'm starving.

Thanks for all the input guys :-)

Jan 04 07 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Photography

Riverside, California, US

I'd be willing to shoot a model in exchange for a good massage from her!!! tongue

hahaha!!! i was thinking the opposite.

Jan 04 07 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

with the quality of pizza in nyc, that would be a good deal.

;-)

rich

Heidi Pinkney wrote:
Anyone fancy some TFP (pizza) I'm starving.

Thanks for all the input guys :-)

Jan 04 07 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

RachelJ wrote:

See my profile.  Try them, you'll like them.

Jan 04 07 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Richard Boswell's comments appeared to undermine the diversity, style, and quality that "A portrait / wedding photographer" could offer models.
I am a portrait / wedding / and commercial photographer.
Anyone want to compare my portfolio to his? 
Compare websites?
The proof is always in the portfolio(s)  And yes I do TFCD and always appreciate the models efforts.  I rest my case.

Jan 04 07 01:39 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=103729

Jan 04 07 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Larry Brown Camera wrote:
Richard Boswell's comments appeared to undermine the diversity, style, and quality that "A portrait / wedding photographer" could offer models.
Compare websites?
The proof is always in the portfolio(s)  And yes I do TFCD and always appreciate the models efforts.  I rest my case.

We have a winner.

Jan 04 07 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

i think you need to re read this thread and try harder to understand my points gentlemen.

don't misrepresent my response to accusations as accusations.

if you believe i have grossly misrepresented the subject at hand,
please say how specifically.

i apologize if i did not stroke your ego enough in the process.   

i am glad you are so satisfied with your web presence,
me i'm not so satisfied with mine, maybe thats the difference between us ...

larry piss on some other tree i'm too busy working in nyc to worry about you and your market.   

rich

(edited for misunderstanding)

Larry Brown Camera wrote:
Compare websites?

Jan 04 07 03:22 pm Link