Forums > General Industry > Take this razor. Stand in the light.

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Searcher wrote:
No, sad because he would wish me pain for my opinions.

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
That's not what you said "That's sad" in reference to.

Ah, that was someone else.

C David Stephens wrote:
I thought you'd be the one to suffer for your art. I'm happy just faking it.

Searcher wrote:
That's sad.

I was saying that if you struggle for your art it can mean more to you personally in the end, and it's sad if he fakes the struggle. But I think I was misinterpreting what he said anyway.

Jan 02 07 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:
No, like I've said a half dozen times now, the razor blade thing is a metaphor for a leap of faith. I have no intention of asking any model to cut themselves. I do want them to let go of things in their mind that are not themselves, and that's what I'm trying to talk about if the sensationalists would calm themselves.

If you hadn't started such a sensational thread with such sensational statements, you wouldn't have a problem with "sensationalists".

The razor blade thing certainly didn't seem like a metaphor.  It seemed like a hypothetical possibility that you wanted to be able to ask of a model.

Jan 02 07 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:
I haven't asked anyone here to trust me.

Brian Diaz wrote:
That seems to be the problem.  If no one trusts you, they will not cut themselves on command.

Searcher wrote:
I meant in this thread.

It sounded like you meant on MM.

Jan 02 07 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

This thread makes me feel yucky inside hmm

Jan 02 07 01:02 am Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kasmia wrote:

me too hmm

Jan 02 07 01:05 am Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Sandra wrote:

me too hmm

me three hmm

Jan 02 07 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
It sounded like you meant on MM.

Sorry. I did not.

-

Searcher wrote:
No, like I've said a half dozen times now, the razor blade thing is a metaphor for a leap of faith. I have no intention of asking any model to cut themselves. I do want them to let go of things in their mind that are not themselves, and that's what I'm trying to talk about if the sensationalists would calm themselves.

Brian Diaz wrote:
If you hadn't started such a sensational thread with such sensational statements, you wouldn't have a problem with "sensationalists".

I never expect people to get so hyper about simple ideas like this. I don't see my original post as sensationalist. When I wrote it I was simply passionate about the concepts, I suppose.

Brian Diaz wrote:
The razor blade thing certainly didn't seem like a metaphor.  It seemed like a hypothetical possibility that you wanted to be able to ask of a model.

Well, yes. It is a hypothetical. It is something I would like to be able to ask a model, but it is only hypothetical.

I was afraid that people would latch onto the cutting aspect in the wrong way, but I couldn't think of a better way to present the idea.

Jan 02 07 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Kasmia wrote:

It wasn't supposed to. I just wanted to talk about getting shots with clear emotions.

Jan 02 07 01:12 am Link

Model

Orpheus Faust

Seattle, Washington, US

I'd totally do that. I love making people squirm

Jan 02 07 01:14 am Link

Photographer

LAM Photography

Highland, California, US

I understand what Searcher is trying to say about wanting a model to step outside of his/her box. To throw their inhibitions to the wind.

But if the subject of the photo were something less violent that you asked, would the model be willing to do it, without having been asked before hand? Such as..pose nude when they've never posed nude before?  Then you step into comfort zones and it is up to the model on how comfortable they feel. If they trust the photographer enough, would they do it? Did you work with this same model times before to gain that trust, or do you want the model to be raw enough to do what you ask upon first meeting them? Do you build a slight relationship during the shoot THEN pop the question? Then how do you react when the model says no? Treat them with respect or tell them they are not real visionaries?

Intensity is great. Fear and discomfort for only the artists sake is not.

Jan 02 07 01:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

Sandra wrote:

Kasmia wrote:

me too hmm

Maura wrote:

me three hmm

me four...

I took a make up class and got that affect without cutting anything.

Get a great mua, fake blood and have a ball if that works!

muhahaha

Jan 02 07 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Searcher wrote:
It wasn't supposed to. I just wanted to talk about getting shots with clear emotions.

Searcher wrote:
. I want them to trust me enough to let every bit of baggage they came in the door with fall away and just be for the camera.

Searcher wrote:
I'm not letting myself be limited by what is sane and insane. That sounds self-serving, but it's what I feel my recent experiences have prompted me to explore.

Jan 02 07 02:02 am Link

Model

Mia Mali

Searcher wrote:
about the look in the eyes, and you don't get that from smearing Karo and red dye on an arm.

As a former cutter, you don't want that look in the eyes.  It means shear desperation, shear depression; that's what got me in that position to begin with.  It's not a proud moment and certainly not something I would do, as I struggle not to do it.

Jan 02 07 02:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Searcher wrote:

You can get shots with clear emotions by acting it out too you know. Act it out like any emotion, happy sad or whatever.

Sidenote: You never have to slap a model in the face to get her to cry . Or unless that's what will take for the true emotions to come about. lol JK!

So go with a great mua and a model/actress that WOULD know how to express that emotion, if you can't find anyone to do that for you.

Jan 02 07 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Ceana, it is a compliment to you that you do not know what Searcher is suggesting.  He is too far gone, in a place that is really dark and scary.  He can not hear you.

Jan 02 07 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Searcher wrote:
about the look in the eyes, and you don't get that from smearing Karo and red dye on an arm.

Mia Salen wrote:
As a former cutter, you don't want that look in the eyes.  It means shear desperation, shear depression; that's what got me in that position to begin with.  It's not a proud moment and certainly not something I would do, as I struggle not to do it.

I will drink to that.  I wish you success on your struggle.

Jan 02 07 02:48 am Link

Model

Mia Mali

Daguerre wrote:

Searcher wrote:

I will drink to that.  I wish you success on your struggle.

Thanks smile  I'm doing pretty well, it's just not some place I would force myself back into for the sake of photography.

Jan 02 07 02:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Daguerre wrote:
Ceana, it is a compliment to you that you do not know what Searcher is suggesting.  He is too far gone, in a place that is really dark and scary.  He can not hear you.

lmao... Ok... I will step away... ;-)

*Tippy toeing out*

Jan 02 07 02:54 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I have dwelled into this subject quite extensively.  To simply ask someone to cut on command for realism clearly does not understand the emotional process the individual is going through.  Therefore any sacrifice for art sake would not be real unless you are in the moment. 

A model/actress familiar with the process will be able to convey all the realism you need without the bloodshed.  I guarantee it.  I had no problem getting that look in her eye.

I’ve posted a few shots in the critique forum a while back.  Interesting reading from those who are cutters.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060728/18/ … f7c8a0.jpg
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060728/18/ … 04dbf0.jpg

Jan 02 07 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

californian

Anyone worth their salt would just go take pictures that get the emotions they are looking for. Posting about it on a website is stale. Go take some photos, improve at what you are doing. The emotional content of the photograph is your responsibilty not the model's.

Jan 02 07 12:49 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Searcher wrote:

I hate to toot my own horn, but in this instance I feel it'd help make a point. You can get clear emotions without real danger...so this is where I start to disagree with you. I'm all for the idea of sacrificing for art...but "the look in the eyes"? You don't need real, physical, in-the-moment pain to do that. Just find a girl who knows how to act.
https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/nnyrocksmysocks/Modeling/Kat238bww.jpg
Does it look like I'm really feeling something there? Well I am...those are real tears. I just know how to conjure up the past to bring out the emotion I need. Everyone has an infinite well of experiences inside them...just find someone who knows how to bring them to the surface. Sacrifice is great, but what you're describing is unnecessary.

Jan 02 07 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

A series of photos of someone cutting herself, real or faked, is going to be pretty lame compared to the work of performance artist Orlan.  She basically has herself surgically mutillated as her art.  Not for the sqeamish:

http://www.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/eco … geries.htm

I have makeup artist friends who can produce latex prostheic scars that look like the real thing as well as convincing fake blood.  If I employ them to make up a model and then I tell you the pics are the real thing, how would you know they are not?

Doug

Jan 02 07 01:36 pm Link