Forums > General Industry > Take this razor. Stand in the light.

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Searcher...I didn't take the time to read every entry in this thread, so if this is a repeat of an earlier comment, forgive me.

I understand from your first few comments that you are looking for

A  realisim
B  tearing down walls as an artist
C  cutting of themself by a model
D  you want to "Let the blood flow"
F  you want to make an image of the above

So what is keeping you from doing all that in a self portrait? You can be artist, model, photographer, cuttee, cutter....whatever. You can take the infection risks, whatever pain there is, whatever scar there is...all without even needing to pay for it....after all, should an artist ask another to do what even they won't?

You want blood? Try your own.

Jan 01 07 11:43 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Odin's Eye wrote:

there we go. in response to shooting someone being raped.

Yeah...I'm reading through it now, and the more I read, the more disappointed I am. I would love it if people were willing to sacrifice for their art...but

a. I would never judge anyone or their commitment to their art if they didn't
b. I would ESPECIALLY never judge someone like that if I weren't willing to make sacrifices myself.
c. I would never force another person to sacrifice for my art, or judge them for not wanting to.

Jan 01 07 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
pretending you are a rapist or watching a rape. No, I didn't overlook it. I just still see that persona in your responses.

I didn't bring that up, I responded to a question. And then responded again to the response to my response. Too much of this is cyclical and useless.

Jan 01 07 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

JBPhoto wrote:
I think your idea of the process is a tad messed up.
You want edgy, shoot your interperetation of it.   You want someone to actually cut themself and bleed for you?  Shoot self portraits.

No. Read the whole thread.

Jan 01 07 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Have you considered that cuts on a model's skin reduces her or his chances for future work?  Would you be willing to destroy your camera for my art?  If you say no, I'll be depressed.

Pay enough for the model's time, the time it takes for the cut to heal completely, and pay for the model's pain and suffering (as a court would award in an injury lawsuit) and you'll find your model.  Say a hypothetical $400/day for 10 days plus an additional $2000 for the pain.  Lay down $6K, and I'll do it.  Hell, I'd do it for $5K.

And for $10K, I'll break my camera.

I don't want a model to cut themself! I want a model to be willing to cut themself if asked.

Jan 01 07 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:

I don't want a model to cut themself! I want a model to be willing to cut themself if asked.

Okay, for $5K, I'll be willing to cut myself, but I won't do it.

Jan 01 07 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
I've always been one to take chances for art, and I plan to continue that so long as I'm not truly risking my life. I've been in nothing but a corset in a shed with holes when it was snowing outside, I've stood at the top of what was probably like a 20 foot ladder, I've climbed through bushes with thorns barefoot (and gotten cut), I've sat completely immobile for 15 minutes at a stretch for light paintings, I've been tied hanging from a ceiling and gotten some nasty bruises under my arms. I'm already planning a shoot as soon as it snows where I will essentially lay naked in the snow (I'm not telling why tongue You guys will have to wait and see). A true artist will sacrifice for their work. A few drops of blood is a small price to pay for art. If I thought it would be a good shot (which is really debeatable...cutting shots are done to death), I would certainly cut myself for it. Cuts are temporary...art is forever.

Kaitlin, we are pilgrims in an unholy land.

Jan 02 07 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

That's harsh. Why aren't people allowed to live their life as they choose? Maybe David prefers to draw on suffering that's already there for his art. Or maybe he just wants to show beauty. Just because you don't want to purposely cause yourself pain for your art doesn't mean you're "sad". It just means you've got different motivations.

No, sad because he would wish me pain for my opinions.

Jan 02 07 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Odin's Eye wrote:

there we go. in response to shooting someone being raped.

Yeah, and I followed up saying something along the lines of "ask a silly question, get a silly answer."

Jan 02 07 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
Okay, for $5K, I'll be willing to cut myself, but I won't do it.

A bit more seriously, are you really expecting a model to be okay with cutting herself during a shoot where you have not forewarned her that cutting would not be part of the shoot?  I'm really not understanding the practical difference between doing something and being willing to do something during a shoot.

Jan 02 07 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Anderson Artwork wrote:
You want blood? Try your own.

No, I just want a fearless model.

Jan 02 07 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:

It would seem that a fearless model would bore you.

Searcher wrote:
I'm thinking about art and fear, and how to force the models out of the state of mind they had when they walked in. Innocense, confusion, intelligence, grace, long moments... these things fascinate me.

Jan 02 07 12:09 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Searcher wrote:

Then at the very least show your own fearlessness by actually posting some of the real art you claim to have created. I am willing to do a lot if I know it will mean creating a truly memorable image, but I'm not going to do it for someone who openly states that his own (mediocre) portfolio is just a big goof-off.

Jan 02 07 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Searcher wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
A bit more seriously, are you really expecting a model to be okay with cutting herself during a shoot where you have not forewarned her that cutting would not be part of the shoot?  I'm really not understanding the practical difference between doing something and being willing to do something during a shoot.

Yes, I expect that at some point I will find a model willing to do anything for the shot. It's a leap of faith. I want the model to trust me that much so I can actually trust the model. I have gotten models to that point on a few occasions, but it is really rare. Once we're in that zone, the best images appear. The best stuff I've ever shot was when we got to that level.

Jan 02 07 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
...Considering the fact that this is a 4 page thread, and the inflammatory nature of the topic, I'm sure plenty of stupid things have been said all around.

Only dangerous things by one party thus far...  It has been quit restrained...

Jan 02 07 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Searcher wrote:

Catriona wrote:
Then at the very least show your own fearlessness by actually posting some of the real art you claim to have created.

I cannot. It would be recognized.

Searcher wrote:
I am willing to do a lot if I know it will mean creating a truly memorable image, but I'm not going to do it for someone who openly states that his own (mediocre) portfolio is just a big goof-off.

Of course.

Jan 02 07 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

I'm just going to say it simply: Put up or shut up, beacuse the pseudo-intellectual shit is getting old.

Jan 02 07 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
I'm just going to say it simply: Put up or shut up, beacuse the pseudo-intellectual shit is getting old.

Are you sure you would recognize intellectual discourse if you encountered it? The work is immaterial. The concepts are under discussion.

Jan 02 07 12:18 am Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

work is only immaterial to people who don't have the muscle to back up the claim.

Jan 02 07 12:19 am Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Searcher wrote:
I'm thinking about art and fear, and how to force the models out of the state of mind they had when they walked in. Innocense, confusion, intelligence, grace, long moments... these things fascinate me.

forcing models out of their state of mind...
as in, scaring the shit out of them or making them really uncomfortable with your suggestions for art... doesn't quite seem like you care too much about your reputation.. I definitely couldn't see myself recommending another model to work with someone who opted to rattle me a bit...
and this is all so contradictory.. you want to force a model out of her state of mind into giving you raw fear, and yet you want someone who is fearless... would you not then want someone who is a cutter to begin with?
you already said no to that, I believe.. so....

Jan 02 07 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Jan 02 07 12:20 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Searcher wrote:

As what, evidence for your trial?

Jan 02 07 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Maura wrote:
forcing models out of their state of mind...
as in, scaring the shit out of them or making them really uncomfortable with your suggestions for art... doesn't quite seem like you care too much about your reputation.. I definitely couldn't see myself recommending another model to work with someone who opted to rattle me a bit...
and this is all so contradictory.. you want to force a model out of her state of mind into giving you raw fear, and yet you want someone who is fearless... would you not then want someone who is a cutter to begin with?
you already said no to that, I believe.. so....

I love fearless models. I wish more were fearless and am trying to figure out how to get them to that state. I don't want to scare anyone. I want them to trust me enough to let every bit of baggage they came in the door with fall away and just be for the camera.

Jan 02 07 12:23 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Searcher wrote:

I love fearless models. I wish more were fearless and am trying to figure out how to get them to that state. I don't want to scare anyone. I want them to trust me enough to let every bit of baggage the came in the door with fall away and just be for the camera.

But why should anyone trust you when you clearly don't trust anyone here?

Jan 02 07 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Searcher wrote:

Are you sure you would recognize intellectual discourse if you encountered it? The work is immaterial. The concepts are under discussion.

The concept stopped being under discussion a long time ago; you've been asked repeatedly for proof. Your response, a whiny "I can't, it would be recognized!"

So either you have no proof, as someone else suggested would be incriminating against you, or you are simply rousing us up. So again, put up or shut up.

Jan 02 07 12:24 am Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Catriona wrote:

As what, evidence for your trial?

Amen!

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Catriona wrote:
But why should anyone trust you when you clearly don't trust anyone here?

I haven't asked anyone here to trust me.

Photographer

Odins Eye

Searcher wrote:

I love fearless models. I wish more were fearless and am trying to figure out how to get them to that state. I don't want to scare anyone. I want them to trust me enough to let every bit of baggage they came in the door with fall away and just be for the camera.

So develop a d/s relationship, take a slave, and there you go, your fearless all-trusting model.

Jan 02 07 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
The concept stopped being under discussion a long time ago; you've been asked repeatedly for proof. Your response, a whiny "I can't, it would be recognized!"

So either you have no proof, as someone else suggested would be incriminating against you, or you are simply rousing us up. So again, put up or shut up.

I owe you nothing. I'm still talking about the concepts. You're just being nosy.

Jan 02 07 12:26 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Searcher wrote:

Then why are you starting threads on what models should or should not be willing to do, if you apparently have no plans on using models from this site?

Jan 02 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
So develop a d/s relationship, take a slave, and there you go, your fearless all-trusting model.

I have to work with new models every week.

Jan 02 07 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Catriona wrote:
Then why are you starting threads on what models should or should not be willing to do, if you apparently have no plans on using models from this site?

This is my dark side.

Jan 02 07 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Searcher wrote:

I owe you nothing. I'm still talking about the concepts. You're just being nosy.

You are talking about the ability to abuse a model with her consent. To alter her frame of mind to trust you. Yet you offer nothing that is showing you even begin to be worthy of that type of trust.

Jan 02 07 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Searcher wrote:

The Guy who ended up chopping up a model he contacted off of OMP with his girlfriend , in Philly used those same words in his weak defense........"I just wanted a fearless model"... Last we heard he was getting his 'fearless' RAMMED up 'his' in prison while he is awaiting the chair.....
There are many safe, none violent forms of finding a 'fearless" model , but then again  many of them are be alot smarter then to work with someone wanting to see blood.

Jan 02 07 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Read the thread.  Searcher is searching, for what he does not know.  But ya'll are playing his game...

There is no discussion here.

Only practice for Searcher.

Jan 02 07 12:30 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Searcher wrote:

This is my dark side.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say: You are SO full of shit.

Jan 02 07 12:31 am Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Searcher wrote:

without even the slight bit of trust, there can be no chemistry between the model and the photographer..

in other words, if I go into a shoot thinking a photographer might hurt, exploit, or humiliate me, you'd see the discomfort in my eyes and the tension in my body if I even let myself get in front of his camera...

so maybe that's your answer... just be creepy and untrustworthy and the model will give you what you seek...

Jan 02 07 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:
Yes, I expect that at some point I will find a model willing to do anything for the shot. It's a leap of faith. I want the model to trust me that much so I can actually trust the model. I have gotten models to that point on a few occasions, but it is really rare. Once we're in that zone, the best images appear. The best stuff I've ever shot was when we got to that level.

During that building of trust, have you ever indicated that you want the model to cut herself?  You have to make your expectations clear if you ever expect people to live up to your expectations.

Searcher wrote:

That seems to be the problem.  If no one trusts you, they will not cut themselves on command.

Jan 02 07 12:34 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Searcher wrote:

No, sad because he would wish me pain for my opinions.

That's not what you said "That's sad" in reference to.

Jan 02 07 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
During that building of trust, have you ever indicated that you want the model to cut herself?  You have to make your expectations clear if you ever expect people to live up to your expectations.

No, like I've said a half dozen times now, the razor blade thing is a metaphor for a leap of faith. I have no intention of asking any model to cut themselves. I do want them to let go of things in their mind that are not themselves, and that's what I'm trying to talk about if the sensationalists would calm themselves.

Searcher wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
That seems to be the problem.  If no one trusts you, they will not cut themselves on command.

I meant in this thread.

Jan 02 07 12:42 am Link