Forums > General Industry > beach shoot

Model

FelaD

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

what is the best time of the day to have a shoot at the beach?
thanks in advance.

Dec 26 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Fela D wrote:
thanks in advance.

sunrise, shortly after, or sunset.

high noon is a bad idea. bad bad bad.

Dec 26 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

KRB Photography

Stuart, Florida, US

Sometimes, it depends on location.  Florida has a very hot sun.  Best to shoot sunrise to about 10:00 a.m.  Maybe late afternoon to sunset will work too.

Dec 26 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

photogjohn

Irving, Texas, US

One hour to one and a half hours after sunrise or one hour to one and a half hours before sunset...The Gloden Hour!!

Dec 26 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

sunrise, shortly after, or sunset.

high noon is a bad idea. bad bad bad.

This will be a pretty short thread. Not much debate on this one. Agreed. Sunrise for the next couple hours. Shortly before sunset for the golden look - shortly after sunset. Didn't know you had to be a meteorologist also did you? smile

Dec 26 06 02:21 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

This will be a pretty short thread. Not much debate on this one. Agreed. Sunrise for the next couple hours. Shortly before sunset for the golden look - shortly after sunset. Didn't know you had to be a meteorologist also did you? smile

Funny- that was my minor in college wink

Dec 26 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

MrMisadventure

Brooklyn, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Yea man get that "Magic Hour" hour before sunset or after sunrise, lighting is definetly the bestest

Dec 26 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Start at sunrise and you'll have a few hours before the sun gets too harsh. If you start in the afternoon, the ideal starting time will vary at different lattitudes and times of the year.

Dec 26 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

no shes on the WEST coast

our ''golden hour'' is just before the sun sets
presently about 4pm

wink

Dec 26 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

In Michigan it's between 7:00 am on June 15th and 10:00 pm on September 2nd.

Dec 26 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

I like 2am with a full moon.  smile

Dec 26 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

KRB Photography wrote:
Sometimes, it depends on location.  Florida has a very hot sun.  Best to shoot sunrise to about 10:00 a.m.  Maybe late afternoon to sunset will work too.

Depends on which coast you're on due to sun angle.
One of the nice things about Florida is being abale to shoot a beach sunrise & a beach sunset on the same day!

Dec 26 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Fela D wrote:
thanks in advance.

Sports Illustrated nearly always shoots their bikini spread in the morning at sunrise ... the first hour of light and also the last hour at sunset.  Those are the "golden hours" and I also have shot most all my bikini shots at the beach in the last hour of daylight ... I'm never awake early enough for sunrise!  lol 

Here on the west coast, it is around 4:30 to 5:30 this time of the year.

Dec 26 06 04:09 pm Link

Model

FelaD

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Sports Illustrated nearly always shoots their bikini spread in the morning at sunrise ... the first hour of light and also the last hour at sunset.  Those are the "golden hours" and I also have shot most all my bikini shots at the beach in the last hour of daylight ... I'm never awake early enough for sunrise!  lol 

Yes, I am lazy, can't wake up before 9am, so I guess the sunset will be better

Dec 26 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Fela D wrote:

Then don't model.

Photographers hate that attitude.

You want the shot? Get your butt outta bed and take it.

Dec 26 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Shoot when the sun is out big_smile

Dec 26 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

FelaD

Daniela V wrote:

Then don't model.

Hahahaha
Up to now I haven't met any photographer that hated my attitude.
Plus I was asking the time to shoot because I will be shooting a friend of mine, I won't be the model this time

Dec 26 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Fela D wrote:

Hahahaha
Plus I was asking the time to shoot because I will be shooting a friend of mine, I won't be the model this time

I'm not a photographer- but I'm telling you, as a model that does a lot of bikini in the sunrise shots....don't complain- the photographer or client wants you out there, and YOU want the best shot, then get out there for sunrise and bring coffee.

Dec 26 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Fela D wrote:
thanks in advance.

Whenever I'm available. smile

Dec 26 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

right now go down to the beach around 3:30 and start messing around. It will give you 1 1/2 hrs to shoot. also bring a reflector if you have one. and if it is over cast like normal just use some fill flash

Dec 26 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Lauren

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I got lucky. I shot with my photographer in the mid afternoon and got a wonderful photo.

Dec 26 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Fela D wrote:

Daniela V wrote:
Then don't model.

Daniela, I am a photographer, and I don't car for judgmental attitudes.  All the models I work with understand that I start work from the moment I wake up at around 11AM or noonish, until about 3 AM.  If I have a special project, like a music video shoot that has to be done in the early morning, then I usually don't go to bed at all.  Many times I've been up at 3 AM dealing with web server issues or editing images that have to be online by early AM.  So please lighten up!  It's Christmas season after all!

Happy Holidays!

Photographer

californian

Los Angeles, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

sunrise is just about 7AM right now. last week was the shortest day of the year.
you can get great AM light starting a shoot as late as 7.30.

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Dec 26 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

markcomp wrote:
In Michigan it's between 7:00 am on June 15th and 10:00 pm on September 2nd.

It sets that late?! dang!!

I have a love/hate relationship with my sunset sessions.  During the summer is best because it's warm and I can shoot w.o leaving work early (4pm).  However, I hate getting home at 10pm and then having to clean up and get to bed because of work at 7am.  But if I was in Michigan shooting to 10pm?  ouch!

Dec 26 06 04:53 pm Link

Model

FelaD

Daniela V wrote:

I'm not a photographer- but I'm telling you, as a model that does a lot of bikini in the sunrise shots....don't complain- the photographer or client wants you out there, and YOU want the best shot, then get out there for sunrise and bring coffee.

I don't ever complain, I just set the cards stright before the shoot, if I get a good paying gig at 5 am I will do it without complaining, for for TFP I wont get out of bed, out to the cold before 8 or 9 am.

But Like I already told you, I was asking this because I am taking photos of a friend and wanted some expert advice on the best lighting time, not critique on my sleeping habbits or shooting attitude.

So thanks everybody who has helped me out in this matter. Still haven't decided the time, lol.

Dec 26 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Fela D wrote:

Daniela, I am a photographer, and I don't car for judgmental attitudes.  All the models I work with understand that I start work from the moment I wake up at around 11AM or noonish, until about 3 AM.  If I have a special project, like a music video shoot that has to be done in the early morning, then I usually don't go to bed at all.  Many times I've been up at 3 AM dealing with web server issues or editing images that have to be online by early AM.  So please lighten up!  It's Christmas season after all!

Happy Holidays!

Good for you. You want me to respect that attitude when you don't respect my point?

No one is judging her- but give me a break "I'm lazy" does not cut it.

It's not about "lightening up", it's about stating the facts....they don't change just because it's Christmas.

Happy New Year-

Dec 26 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Daniela V wrote:

Certainly if you are hired to do something, you need to be there and not complain.  But in cases where the person making these decisions such as when to shoot etc. IS the model or photographer ... then we control our own hours of working.  I used to work a regular job and did fine except that I'd come home too drained to do what I love!  Now that I work for myself, I have so much more energy!  So make your own website! Hire your crew!  Work for yourself!  Then you can sleep in if you want.  lol

Dec 26 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Fela D wrote:

Hahahaha

I bet that you were half joking when you said it because if there was enough money involved, you'd be there!  LOL

Dec 26 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Certainly if you are hired to do something, you need to be there and not complain.  But in cases where the person making these decisions such as when to shoot etc. IS the model or photographer ... then we control our own hours of working.  I used to work a regular job and did fine except that I'd come home too drained to do what I love!  Now that I work for myself, I have so much more energy!  So make your own website! Hire your crew!  Work for yourself!  Then you can sleep in if you want.  lol

If I'm doing TFP and the photographer says to be there at 4am (has happened) I am there at 4am. if I am getting paid and the photographer says to be there at 4am (has happened) I am there at 4am.

Rules don't change because of money- that's like saying that you are a serious model when you're getting paid, and not for TFP, and vice versa.

I'm not here to hijack her thread- she got her answer- if you want to continue this debate fine- but I don't think here is appropriate.

Happy Kwanzaa

Dec 26 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Daniela V wrote:

She wasn't complaining.

Dec 26 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
Shoot when the sun is out big_smile

Dude, I've shot at the beach when it was moonlite!  Really cool!  wink

Dec 26 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Penny Berlin

Bend, Oregon, US

Bright and early!! Photographer is dragging my fanny out of bed and on to the beach coffee in hand (if I am lucky). And you know what, in Oregon its icy cold in the am but you get a kisk ass shot or two!

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/rebeccakooy/IMG_1777e1.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/rebeccakooy/IMG_1610fingcool.jpg

Dec 26 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Christopher Hartman wrote:

Whenever I'm available. smile

Now that's the laid back Cali attitude I love!  big_smile

Dec 26 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Rebecca Penny wrote:
Bright and early!! Photographer is dragging my fanny out of bed and on to the beach coffee in hand (if I am lucky). And you know what, in Oregon its icy cold in the am but you get a kisk ass shot or two!

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/rebeccakooy/IMG_1777e1.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/rebeccakooy/IMG_1610fingcool.jpg

those are brilliant images

Dec 26 06 05:02 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Patrick Walberg wrote:

She wasn't complaining.

didn't say she was.

Dec 26 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

thehitter wrote:

sunrise is just about 7AM right now. last week was the shortest day of the year.
you can get great AM light starting a shoot as late as 7.30.

Sorry, I should clarify ... before sunset or PM times are what I was writing about.

Dec 26 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Daniela V wrote:
Good for you. You want me to respect that attitude when you don't respect my point?

It's not about "lightening up", it's about stating the facts....they don't change just because it's Christmas.

Damn, you rock. Please reconsider having my babies.

Dec 26 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Penny Berlin

Bend, Oregon, US

Daniela V wrote:

those are brilliant images

Thank you!!!

Dec 26 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Daniela V wrote:

Happy New Year-

I call myself "lazy" sometimes too.  If you really knew me, then you'd know I was joking because I am not really lazy.  Maybe it's the West Coast attitude of being laid back.  I don't mean any offense to you and I do highly respect your work! 

As a joke, I list myself as "Self-unemployed" ... get it?  If a model or photographer wants to call themselves "lazy" then it could very likely be in kidding. No debate here!

Best wishes!

Dec 26 06 05:09 pm Link