Forums > General Industry > Show me "implied nude"

Photographer

Randy Tay LMPA

Santa Ana, California, US

carlo Di Paolo wrote:
A dictionary is a reliable and an offical source, googling is not.

This model is nude. If I put the model in bed with sheets covering her private areas and she appears to be nude, but is in fact wearing a bra and panties which can't be seen, then that is implied. Because she appears to be nude when in fact she is not.

Yes yes, finally a photographer who understands what it REALLY meant and not just "see, everyone says so!"

*with tear in my eyes*

Dec 29 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Randy Tay LMPA

Santa Ana, California, US

double posting tongue

Dec 29 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

naomimarie wrote:
Implied to me means just that implied, where through the use of props etc....to hide the fact that the model is wearing clothing( not much clothing) to give the impression  or imply that the model is nude when in reality the model is not.  Images where the model is nude but covering or posing where one does not get a view of the private regions, in my opinion would fall under covered nude  of course this is only my view...

i have to agree with naomi... this is the way i see it... or don't see it actually... lol...
implied means looks like nude but really isn't... like on broadcast tv or even some movies when they're wearing body colored bits of fabric on set...

otherwise it's a covered nude...

Dec 29 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

Santa Rosa, California, US

So, the shot in my ModelMayhem portfolio immediately to the right of the B.B. King shot (sorry, I can't figure out how to do the URL thing) is implied nudity because the genitals are in shadow and the breasts are not visible. Hmmmm.

Dec 29 06 04:47 am Link

Model

Josu

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, US

Colin Talcroft wrote:
OK, another linguistic question: People seem to use the term "implied nude" very loosely. To me, the logical assumption is that a model in an implied nude shot is NOT nude, but is made to appear nude. That is not, however, how people seem to use the phrase. So what does 'implied nude" mean to you? Can someone here point me to the quintessential implied nude?

I think you posted this in the wrong place...  Implied nude.. just by the words makes me thing of an image that someone calls nude but isn't...?

Dec 29 06 05:10 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

I think of it as nude, but not showing anything.

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/BeautifulDolphin/Modeling/Pineapple.jpg

Dec 29 06 06:10 am Link

Model

Bryanna Nova

Milford, New Jersey, US

Ya know..  I've been reading this thread for a few days and I just can't seem to understand how some people want to comprehend the word "implied"

If your model is WEARING a nude bodysuit, and is stretched out on a park bench, strewn in strategically placed vines.. well guess what, you've pulled it off.. IMPLIED the model is nude, when the model truly IS NOT NUDE.

HOWEVER -
If your model is UNCLOTHED - no matter how you slice it, he/she is NUDE - It really doesn't matter what part of the body you cover with some other body part, the body is still UNDRESSED - there is NO IMPLICATION the model is NUDE, because the model, is in fact.. NUDE.

Just how do you get "implied nude" from a model, naked as the day they were born.. covering their genitals with their hand? What are you implying? That your hand (or pineapple) is big enough to cover your genitals? or that you are flexible enough to cover both of your breasts with your arm and cover your genitals at the same time without the benefit of clothing?

For those of you who think that is implied nude, just who are you all trying to convince? Yourselves that you are not shooting nudity? or the models whom you are falsely advising to undress before the camera?

So the following question is posed to all those models who put "I don't do nudes" in their ports.. will you strip down to your birthday suit and cover your goodies with your hands, allow that shot.. and be comfortable in the fact that you haven't been a "NUDE model" or..... will you simply NOT remove your clothing before the camera -period?

Dec 29 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

I think Bryanna has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Dec 29 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

yonika

Shelton, Connecticut, US

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060909/00/45024d306b900.jpg

Dec 29 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...another Implied Nude, by my definition:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060810/16/44dba6c39e503.jpg

Helena of Gold

Dec 29 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

People 1st Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

wandering eye wrote:

Sorry.. but you guys can't be more wrong..

im·plied     [im-plahyd]
–adjective
involved, indicated, or suggested without being directly or explicitly stated; tacitly understood: an implied rebuke; an implied compliment.

I can't see how you guys can use that word in the sense you are using it. You're talking about "faked" nudity.  Faked is different from implied.

An implied nude photo doesn't show any nudity (any more than a bikini does).. but the *implication* is that the model was nude on set.

This is the correct answer to the question. If you can tell from the image that the model is indeed nude, then it is NOT implied. Just covering up the privates does not make it implied.
An example of implied nude might be a male shot from the waist up with out a shirt. With such a shot, you cannot tell if the model is nude or not: thus implied nude...

Dec 29 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

If you ask me, the shot two posts up is "implied topless." The knot tied at her hip implies that she is wearing a bikini bottom. Certainly not implied nude.

Dec 30 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

yonika wrote:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060909/00/45024d306b900.jpg

this is not implied. this is a partially clothed (beautiful) woman covering her breast.

Implied is more like wearing a tube top but framed to look nude, only the model and the photographer would know she was really wearing a tube top.

Dec 30 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

dgold wrote:
...another Implied Nude, by my definition:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060810/16/44dba6c39e503.jpg

Helena of Gold

this is nude, nothing implied here, she's really naked.

Dec 30 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

People are arguing this like they are lawyers in court. There seems to be at least some agreement on the resulting photo, she looks like she's nude, but may or may not really be nude, so the only thing that really matters is the communication between the client, or photographer, and the model.

From the viewer's perspective it shouldn't matter one whit whether the model was wearing a thong and pasties, a bikini, or nothing at all, as long as the naughty bits aren't seen. What you see is what you get. The photographer is considerably more concerned, as anything the model wears will limit his range of shots. Naturally, a GWC will be far more inconvenienced than an experienced art nude photographer. The model is even more concerned, as wearing nothing might allow the photographer to shoot more than the model bargained for.

The classic "holding her own boobs" shot can easily be shot by any but the most prudish model. She simply turns her back, drops the towel, holds her boobs, and turns around. Nobody knows, or cares, if she's wearing pasties. If she's to be lying naked on a bed, however, using a sheet or pillow to cover the naughty bits, then she's constantly worried that the sheet will slip and something will show. She's constantly looking over her shoulder to make sure there's no one lurking on set, or congregating outside the window, looking at the uncovered parts.

If a model posts "I've been modeling about two weeks. NO NUDITY, but I might consider implied, with the right photographer" then you damn sure better get your definition clear before you shoot. If it's an experienced model with a portfolio full of nudes, then an "implied nude" shoot should be much easier.

I prefer the terms from the film and TV business, "nude on set" and "nude on camera." If you agree to "nude on set" then you will be nude on set, a number of people will see you naked, but no naughty bits are to be filmed, and if they are, they can't be used. If you agree to "nude on camera" then the naughty bits will be filmed, will be used, and anyone on the planet, now and forever, will be able to see them for a few dollars or a couple of mouse clicks. In both cases, the naughty bits will be explicitly defined by negotiations between your lawyer and the company's lawyer, and everyone will sign it.

Dec 30 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Marquita C wrote:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060926/14/451984d4aa2d2.jpg

(If I did the url thing right)

I would say this is implied in my opinion. I was topless and had on a thong. The photographer edited out the thong string.

Oh great...we now have a new category since PS was used to create the Implied Nude. So now we have to add Applied Nude? It's so much less confusing to shoot perfume bottles lol.

Dec 30 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

C David Stephens wrote:
People are arguing this like they are lawyers in court.

Bailiff, whack his pee pee! I object. smile

Dec 30 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

jack4photos

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

C David Stephens wrote:
I prefer the terms from the film and TV business, "nude on set" and "nude on camera." If you agree to "nude on set" then you will be nude on set, a number of people will see you naked, but no naughty bits are to be filmed, and if they are, they can't be used. If you agree to "nude on camera" then the naughty bits will be filmed, will be used, and anyone on the planet, now and forever, will be able to see them for a few dollars or a couple of mouse clicks. In both cases, the naughty bits will be explicitly defined by negotiations between your lawyer and the company's lawyer, and everyone will sign it.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Jack

Dec 30 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

Thanks very much for this. I wasn't aware of the terms "nude on set" and "nude on camera." That's a useful distinction, anyway--not that it matters to me personally--, but I think that will clarify things for people on this thread that have been trying to sort the two out. Personally, I have never done a shoot with a model wearing clothes in my life (the model; I'm dressed), so I'm very comfortable with nudity and I work with models that feel the same way; worrying about "nude" or "not nude" or "maybe nude" has never been an issue for me while shooting. I originally asked the question just because there didn't seem to be a consensus about what "implied nude" means. I was just curious about what other people thought.

Dec 30 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

jack4photos wrote:

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Jack

We should all start using these more professional and more accurate terms immediately.
Ignore anyone who doesn't.

Dec 30 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

glamourandlight

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kimberlyannqt wrote:
You look nude but your not. Thats what it means to me too!

You claim to be an attorney but you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"?  And you can't spell "nipple"? ... Right (giggle!) (... or should I say giggel!)

Dec 30 06 05:40 pm Link