Forums > General Industry > Beware GWCs who offer the sun and the moon!

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Found out a female friend of mine put up a profile on OMP back here in NC, and some sort of GWC from NYC - Long Island City to be specific - got up with her.  Offered to set up both a NYC-based OMP profile and a Yahoo e-mail addy, saying that would get her more work (like $3000 over a weekend.  He even offered her a place to stay (with him of course) and she bit. 

So she goes up, stays with the guy, got a little paying work (not as much as he led her to believe), and then she didn't get any samples from half the guys she shot with.  And of course the guy's OMP profile is no longer up and running - do many GWCs drop off after a while? 

Chris

Dec 23 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

https://lotusimages.com/images6/jjass.jpg

this mm photographer (jj) seems to be offering both..

Dec 23 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

but I do try my best to deliver

Dec 23 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

ha ha ha ...ha

Dec 23 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

“Beware GWCs who offer the sun and the moon!”

Tell me why this is limited to GWC’s?

Dec 23 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

if you can't spy a GWC from the quality of their existing photographs, then perhaps models that agree to shoot should learn the hard way....

Dec 23 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Telephoto Studio wrote:
Found out a female friend of mine put up a profile on OMP back here in NC, and some sort of GWC from NYC - Long Island City to be specific - got up with her.  Offered to set up both a NYC-based OMP profile and a Yahoo e-mail addy, saying that would get her more work (like $3000 over a weekend.  He even offered her a place to stay (with him of course) and she bit. 

So she goes up, stays with the guy, got a little paying work (not as much as he led her to believe), and then she didn't get any samples from half the guys she shot with.  And of course the guy's OMP profile is no longer up and running - do many GWCs drop off after a while? 

Chris

I am confused.  Why would it matter if she gets samples of the images or not?  She was paid to pose.  The images belong to the guy, so he shouldn't even has to show her any samples if he wish.

secondly, did she got raped?  Did he tried to do anything that isn't legal?

Dec 23 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lotusphoto wrote:

Thats more than I wanted to see in my lifetime

Dec 23 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

lotusphoto wrote:

I don't understand your point.  John is a good guy.

Dec 23 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

lotusphoto wrote:

Leo Howard wrote:
Thats more than I wanted to see in my lifetime

Joh is not shy about telling people that he is "open."  I don't always agree with everything he does, but ... he treats the girls well, always does what he promises and the models get along with him fine.

The biggest problem I ever had with John had to do with politics, but I am friends with a lot of people who are politically backwards.

Dec 23 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

lotusphoto wrote:

Joh is not shy about telling people that he is "open."  I don't always agree with everything he does, but ... he treats the girls well, always does what he promises and the models get along with him fine.

The biggest problem I ever had with John had to do with politics, but I am friends with a lot of people who are politically backwards.

Regardless, I still dont want to see him nekkid

Dec 23 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi.

Dec 23 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Regardless, I still dont want to see him nekkid

Nor do I, but this pic has been around for a while now.  I also know the model that shot it.  Yes, it was shot by a model on a shoot.

At least he didn't turn around.

Dec 23 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nor do I, but this pic has been around for a while now.  I also know the model that shot it.  Yes, it was shot by a model on a shoot.

Actually, I don't think you know the model who shot it. Leo does though.

Dec 23 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yeah, and she always tells me she regrets taking that photo, she has been scarred for life

Dec 23 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Quite well actually

Dec 23 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Yup, I do, but I won't say the name online.  I just told you in a Yahoo IM.

Dec 23 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Yeah, and she always tells me she regrets taking that photo, she has been scarred for life

I'm not sure about her being scarred, but ... when I heard the whole story, it was classic John.

Dec 23 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

my photo studio is located in long island city, Queens, NY (and i know its not me)

but can you pm me who it is?

EDIT: i think i know who it is, there is only 1 other photog in my building, and ive never liked his advertising techniques on craiglist

Dec 23 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

of course he's a good guy, see the smiley face? big smile, that's how you can tell

anyways, just to be on the safe side, i used his initials, so maybe change the word john in your post to 'j' or 'jj' so no-one knows who we're talking about..

Dec 23 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lotusphoto wrote:

of course he's a good guy, see the smiley face? big smile, that's how you can tell

anyways, just to be on the safe side, i used his initials, so maybe change the word john in your post to 'j' or 'jj' so no-one knows who we're talking about..

too late, the uhhh, errrr Genie is out of the bottle?

Dec 23 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Leo Howard wrote:

too late, the uhhh, errrr Genie is out of the bottle?

i was being tongue in... er.. nevermind

Dec 23 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
i was being tongue in... er.. nevermind

Butt who Nose?

Dec 23 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

Butt who Nose?

GGGGGGHHHHHHAAAAAAA IM BLIND. . . .

John, make is go away, please, please, please

Dec 23 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Telephoto Studio wrote:

Chris

There are pretty decent photogs that scam models with management/work offers. OMP is a breeding ground for 'em, and I know several models with "managers" half way across the country who control their options.  Yeah I have 2 linked models on my OMP profile but wouldn't dream of interfering in a model's choices or activities.

Dec 23 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Chan Studio wrote:

I am confused.  Why would it matter if she gets samples of the images or not?  She was paid to pose.  The images belong to the guy, so he shouldn't even has to show her any samples if he wish.

secondly, did she got raped?  Did he tried to do anything that isn't legal?

I get paid to take pics, but I always get samples of the work when it appears in print.  Models should get a little something to put in their portfolios to show they actually have done work - I mean how can you believe that they get paid the rates they get claim to get paid unless you got some proof?

Gee - I didn't think I would have to rehash all the dialogue between the model and this guy.  He never said he would pay her - he said he would set up an OMP profile for her, and let her stay at his place while she was up in the area.  He also offered to shoot TFP work for her portfolio.  He set up her OMP profile for paid work from other photographers.  So they paid her, he did not - he shot her and owes her pics.  But now he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth and she wants her pics.

Dec 23 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Leo Howard wrote:

GGGGGGHHHHHHAAAAAAA IM BLIND. . . .

John, make is go away, please, please, please

I would do that for you, but luckily it's not on my server.

Dec 23 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

lotusphoto wrote:

John has posted the pic himself on more than one occassion and models have talked about their experiences with him.  He is well liked, but the pic is pretty much common knowledge.

Dec 23 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John has posted the pic himself on more than one occassion and models have talked about their experiences with him.  He is well liked, but the pic is pretty much common knowledge.

Nothing at all safe about that photo, it causes people to have nightmares. . .  Oh the horror

Dec 23 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Chris.... I am also Photogrpaher from NC and I hate to tell you this but, your portfolio strikes me as a GWC in itself. I find it amusing when GWC's try to remove themselves from the pack by talking about (other) GWC's.

Dec 23 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Larry Brown Camera wrote:
Chris.... I am also Photogrpaher from NC and I hate to tell you this but, your portfolio strikes me as a GWC in itself. I find it amusing when GWC's try to remove themselves from the pack by talking about (other) GWC's.

O U C H !

< < EDIT > >

I thought we were just having a good time making fun of Jonh's uhhh Butt N Nose pic . . .

Hahaha get it, thats a christmas punn, ya know Frosty the snow man was a jolly happy soul, with his corn cobb pipe and his Butt N Nose . . .

Dec 23 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Whoa.

Dec 23 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Nothing at all safe about that photo, it causes people to have nightmares. . .  Oh the horror

I have just a two word response to that - Ha Ha

Dec 23 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

Christopher N. wrote:

Whoa.

Some of his shots scream GWC...but others are really, really good...quality shots...I don't think he is a GWC..

Dec 23 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

I didn't say that to pick a fight..... it's just that I see that kind of thing all the time here on MM and finally thought I would point it out.
Of course my observation was off topic but don't we open ourselves up when we post?
It amuses me to see GWC's talk about other GWC's as if they themselves were "professional". You check out their port and ...... well there you  are!
Surelly a Professional can tell the difference in their work....... models, maybe not!
OK..... so how many are checking me out now?  LOL

Dec 23 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

https://lotusimages.com/images6/buttnose.jpg

Dec 23 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I didn't say that to pick a fight..... it's just that I see that kind of thing all the time here on MM and finally thought I would point it out.
Of course my observation was off topic but don't we open ourselves up when we post?
It amuses me to see GWC's talk about other GWC's as if they themselves were "professional". You check out their port and ...... well there you  are!
Surelly a Professional can tell the difference in their work....... models, maybe not!

I really think the term GWC gets thrown around too often.

Yes, there are people out there with less than good intentions, however, we all have to start somewhere, and I  feel that all of us should give them a break.

I know a few photographers that when I first met them they would have been considered a GWC, but they have worked at improving their skills and have come a long way.

Dec 23 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

I have to amend my initial statement (.ie "whoa"), admittedly. At first past I thought your comments were a bit over the top, but now with clarification I do see your point.

I don't think he's a GWC. He's got some great images. But as you implied, when ANY of us make assertions for or against 'GWC-ness' we open ourselves up for some "extra special" critical review of our MM port and our perceived skills.

And yeah....I DID look at your page after you posted. Nice stuff.... :-)

Dec 23 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Did you read the profile?  I can tell you this - anyone who worked at a pro camera store right out of high school stopped being a GWC the first day they began doing that work.  For me - that would be early July 1978. 

Furthermore, anyone who attended RIT and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Professional Photography has long since stopped being a GWC on the first day of Photo I and M&P.  For me that would be starting early September 1979.   

For you see I worked for a year between high school and college at a pro camera store then went to RIT.

What makes someone a GWC - a lack of photoshop tricks in their images?

Dec 24 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Leo Howard wrote:

I really think the term GWC gets thrown around too often.

Yes, there are people out there with less than good intentions, however, we all have to start somewhere, and I  feel that all of us should give them a break.

I know a few photographers that when I first met them they would have been considered a GWC, but they have worked at improving their skills and have come a long way.

Everyone has to start someplace, but the difference between an amateur and a GWC is in the attitude.  Especially with GWCs who try to use their cameras to get laid, who trick models into showing up to a remote location or fly them to another town and then tell them it's put out or else they are stranded.  Laugh if you want to - but that has happened to models I know.  Yes - the models should be more careful - but they guys shouldn't be pulling this kind of stuff and expect to be called anything BUT GWCs.

Dec 24 06 10:44 pm Link