Forums > General Industry > this is really getting ridiculous...

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

when everyone and their mother thinks they can be a model.

Select Models wrote:

Oh... and PS!  With only 11 (slightly above average) images in your port, anyone posting a comment such as this should SERIOUSLY step back and look in the mirror... wink

point well taken!

Dec 23 06 05:01 am Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

my mother told me i was an accident and i'll never amount to anything...

ok, I lied about the second part.

Dec 23 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah, and get a load of this...
                                 ... alot of guys think they're a photographer!

Dec 23 06 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Agreed.

There are just as many Photographer-wannabees as Model-wanabees...

Dec 23 06 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I wanna be a photgrapher..Oh wait..never mind..I did that already..

I wanna be an astronaut now. Got my space suit and all.

Now if I can just find away onto the launch pad, I am sure once they see me, they will know I am serious and let me onboard.

All you need is heart right?

Dec 23 06 05:41 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

joshua ellis wrote:

My mom thinks I cant be a model..

sad

edit: Im not fishing for compliments! I swear. Just giving you examples of unsupportive parents

Dec 23 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

the difficult part is being able to tell for yourself whether you are a (model or photographer) or if you're just a wanna be.

most wanna be photographers are way more self delusional than wanna be models.

Just because you are able to be photographed does not a model make...
just because you can push a plunger does not a photographer make....

Dec 23 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Lestari wrote:

My mom thinks I cant be a model..

sad

lestari, you're mom is an idiot. I would work with you if you were closer

Dec 23 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

I like to pretend too.

Dec 23 06 09:24 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

ravens laughter wrote:

Thank you.

3 months after she said that, I got my first work for a teen-mag back home..

edit: I will be in Cali around May!!smile

Dec 23 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Lestari wrote:

Thank you.

3 months after she said that, I got my first work for a teen-mag back home..

edit: I will be in Cali around May!!smile

what part? cali is a big place.

Dec 23 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Vance wrote:
I wanna be a photgrapher..Oh wait..never mind..I did that already..

I wanna be an astronaut now. Got my space suit and all.

Now if I can just find away onto the launch pad, I am sure once they see me, they will know I am serious and let me onboard.

https://web.mac.com/tigershark/iWeb/spacemanspiff/Home_files/spiff7.jpg

spaceman spiff surrenders

Dec 23 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

RA Photos

Sumter, South Carolina, US

I miss Calvin and Hobbes comics.

Dec 23 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Who is the official governing body that gets to determine who is a photographer or model?  There isnt one.  If it makes someone feel good about themselves as a person or a professional and they even get to make a buck or two in the process...or just have fun trying...then what difference does it make who calls themselves a photographer or model?  Thier look and or quality will make them in demand...otherwise they can at least have fun in the process.

Dec 23 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Jeweller

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I used to take photos for money but now I take photos for fun. I enjoy it a lot more this way. There's no pressure. Just shoot what I want to shoot and when I feel like shooting it. I don't know if I can call myself a photographer but I do take photos...........LOL.

Dec 23 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Image K wrote:

Agreed.

There are just as many Photographer-wannabees as Model-wanabees...

What's the difference? A lot of self-proclaimed "photographers" and "models" that have been doing it for years are wannabees.

Dec 23 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Creativity has many facets. The styles and types of expression with the various mediums is never ending. From painting, to sculpture, to pottery, to photography, to (now) the art of photoshopping; there is so much variety.

With that said, I find the human mind perplexing to break something as wide and varied as an art process into simple either or statements. Either your a model or you're not. You're either a photographer or you're not. And the almost universal assumption is that if you use the label 'model' or 'photographer' that you need to be a 'professional' to be considered real.

Have fun with it, enjoy the process, and don't worry about a label.

Dec 23 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Allen Coefield wrote:
Who is the official governing body that gets to determine who is a photographer or model?  There isnt one.  If it makes someone feel good about themselves as a person or a professional and they even get to make a buck or two in the process...or just have fun trying...then what difference does it make who calls themselves a photographer or model?  Thier look and or quality will make them in demand...otherwise they can at least have fun in the process.

The official governing body is the market place just as it is in any business!  If you can garner enough work to survive you are official.  If you can't, you will sooner or later fall by the wayside to make room for someone else.

Dec 23 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

They laughed at the man who invented the steam engine too. There are two choices in life - you can try and possibly you will become something you're not. Or you can lurk on the Internet criticizing other people and feeling smug.

I'm inclined to support people as long as they are not dangerously delusional.

Dec 23 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

tgimaging wrote:
Creativity has many facets. The styles and types of expression with the various mediums is never ending. From painting, to sculpture, to pottery, to photography, to (now) the art of photoshopping; there is so much variety.

With that said, I find the human mind perplexing to break something as wide and varied as an art process into simple either or statements. Either your a model or you're not. You're either a photographer or you're not. And the almost universal assumption is that if you use the label 'model' or 'photographer' that you need to be a 'professional' to be considered real.

Have fun with it, enjoy the process, and don't worry about a label.

Amen brother!

P.S> You're port is cool...

Dec 23 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

A Errico Media LLC FIT

Newtown, Pennsylvania, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
They laughed at the man who invented the steam engine too. There are two choices in life - you can try and possibly you will become something you're not. Or you can lurk on the Internet criticizing other people and feeling smug.

I'm inclined to support people as long as they are not dangerously delusional.

Well said..

Dec 23 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Vance wrote:
I wanna be an astronaut now. Got my space suit and all

Internet modeling = Space Camp

Dec 23 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Funny I should find this thread, after getting an e mail notification from OMP about a new model in my state.....shitty webcam stills, over 200 pounds, I mean what the fuck....

Dec 23 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:

--------
Totally agree!!

Lestari, you are a beautiful woman/model, with great expressions in your images.

Dec 23 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

joshua ellis wrote:

The curse of the internet.

And, of course, everyone and their mother thinks they can be a photographer, as noted.

And everyone (mother or not) thinks they can be a news reporter (when all they really want to do is write editorials).

We don't have doctors and lawyers practicing via open (operative word here is open) chat rooms and forums yet.  But wait.

Engineers and scientists have, afterall that was the original purpose of ARPANET.  But I'm not sure that counts.  After all, a lot of them are on here as photographers and bloggers now.  Oh, and a few models.

I'm not sure which quote is best:

"On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."  (various attributions)

or....

"Statistically, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in."  (Wayne Gretzky)

Dec 23 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

joshua ellis wrote:

Who says they can't?  I'd love to photograph a mother-daughter set.

Dec 23 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Night Owl Photography

Atkinson, Illinois, US

"There is a vast different between taking a picture and creating a photograph" - Robert Heineken

Dec 23 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Oh come on guys...it's like life...there's someone for everyone...beginner photographers for beginner models...alternative models for art photographers...etc...

Let people dream...

Dec 23 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Paul Verite

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I know of a guy who thinks he can be president just because his dad was one.

smile

Dec 23 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

joshua ellis wrote:

Cindy Crawford THOUGHT she could be a model... Ansel Adams THOUGHT he could be a photographer.  Dude... its NOT your call on whether or not ANYONE can be either.  Rather, it's THEIR drive, potential, ambishion and intestinal fortitude that will determine their future in this industry.  All factors that fortunately for all of us, are OUT of your control... wink

Oh... and PS!  With only 11 (slightly above average) images in your port, anyone posting a comment such as this should SERIOUSLY step back and look in the mirror... wink

Dec 23 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

I had this conversation with a model and she did not like it when I said there are 2 kinds of models: 

1)  Professional models, aka agency models

2)  Internet models, those who were told they should be modeling but really shouldn't

My personal policy is to NEVER tell a model weather he/she should or should not be modeling, what do I know, right?  My job is to produce the best image possible for the person in front of my camera.  I will say this about "internet" models.  Internet models are more likely to flake, no-show, or be late than agency models. 

The reason for this is because "internet" models have nothing to lose by being flakes.  Where as agency models lose contracts, singings and paying jobs.  I have yet to have a agency (professional) model even be late much less flake!  Professional is not a piece of paper is it attitude and respect.  I implore models to look up the definition of "professionalism" and see how close you come to it?

Dec 23 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Janeisy Griego

Seattle, Washington, US

Im not a model, Im a hobbyist smile

Dec 23 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
https://web.mac.com/tigershark/iWeb/spacemanspiff/Home_files/spiff7.jpg

spaceman spiff surrenders

WHY do I remember this..!!! LMAO

Dec 23 06 11:14 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

SayCheeZ! wrote:

hahahaha...

Dec 23 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I was not a photographer the first time I took a picture.  I became a photographer the moment I felt the desire to photograph.  I may be good; I may be bad but a photographer nevertheless.  If a person is chosen to be my subject they become a model, if only for a brief period of time.  They don’t need to be pretty.  They don’t need to be thin.  That is only a requirement for some specific genres.  Most think modeling is so so easy.  It is not. Like everything else there are good and bad.  The desire and effort is what determines which.

Dec 23 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Emotive Photography wrote:

2)  Internet models, those who were told they should be modeling but really shouldn't

Art models shouldn't be modeling?  And modeling is not a legitimate hobby?  The model you told this to had every right to be upset because this attitude is terrible.

Dec 23 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Jenn Griego wrote:
Im not a model, Im a hobbyist smile

It sure helps out having amazingly beautiful hobbyists to work with as well as the models...

Dec 23 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Emotive Photography wrote:
I had this conversation with a model and she did not like it when I said there are 2 kinds of models: 

My personal policy is to NEVER tell a model weather he/she should or should not be modeling, what do I know, right?  My job is to produce the best image possible for the person in front of my camera.  I will say this about "internet" models.  Internet models are more likely to flake, no-show, or be late than agency models. 

The reason for this is because "internet" models have nothing to lose by being flakes.  Where as agency models lose contracts, singings and paying jobs.  I have yet to have a agency (professional) model even be late much less flake!  Professional is not a piece of paper is it attitude and respect.  I implore models to look up the definition of "professionalism" and see how close you come to it?

There is not just one world...

Dec 23 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Art models shouldn't be modeling?  And modeling is not a legitimate hobby?  The model you told this to had every right to be upset because this attitude is terrible.

LMAO,,,and yet another one did not read this and in the vein in which it was intended.  The thread was NOT talking about art models, or models who do this as a hobby. 

I respect your liberal, "tree-hugging" approach to this, and your hobby, but what was meant as it was clearly written is that professionalism is not a piece of paper it is about attitude.

Dec 23 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

BlackWatch wrote:

There is not just one world...

LMAO,,,and yet another one did not read this and in the vein in which it was intended.  The thread was NOT talking about art models, or models who do this as a hobby.

I respect your liberal, "tree-hugging" approach to this, and your hobby, but what was meant as it was clearly written is that professionalism is not a piece of paper it is about attitude.

Dec 23 06 11:33 am Link