Forums > General Industry > Ok I feel stupid...

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

There's a house down the street from me they had their decorations I thought it looked all pretty with the snow so I snapped a shot....and well I thought I'd be nice and give them a copy of it, just cause I'm nice and it's the Christmas season. So I went today to give them the picture after all it IS their house, and I told her I was a aspiring photographer handed her the picture and she was very rude and said "I don't think so!!!" I was like errrr you don't have to buy it I just thought I'd give it to you since it is your house, I'm sorry if I made you mad"  And she just said all pissy like "WELL THANK YOU BYE!"
eesh last time I be nice....So my kind heart bites me in the ass once again.

Can they do anything?? I'd hope not...
sorry for the lame post...I probably should of just kept it to myself.
This is the picture I took
https://hnsg.net/~michelle/mc.jpg

Dec 19 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

ungrateful bitches. you should egg her house and then reshoot. that would teach that biatch a hard lesson.

Dec 19 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Awwww!! Wow people can be grinchy around christmas time. Don't sweat it smile That was very kind of you.

*Sandra

Dec 19 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

lol@ egging....I'd rather not waste good food on a grouchy woman.
At least she said thank you I guess but the tone was so cold and rude I was shocked.

Dec 19 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Search the web for 'property' releases. You may find something from a photographer or lawyer who is versed in their use.

Now get your huge grain of salt handy, as I demonstrate the tried and true tactic of talking about a subject I don't have any real knowledge on.

If you took the photo from the street, and did not trespass while taking the picture, and have no intention of selling or using the photo for commercial purposes, you are probably safe.

Dec 19 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Saylor

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

see no good deed goes unpunished!!!

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

do not fell stuped it was very nice of you do offer the photo smile

Model

M Kym

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Its not like you were selling it back to them.  Some people dont appreciate kindness.

Dec 19 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

drop a few needles on her lawn, maybe some baking soda in a small cellophane. then call the cops.  Pretty red and blue lights to match the decorations will make one hell of a picture.

Dec 19 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I think it's great!  And very kind of you to offer them a print.  Don't let the b*tch get to you.

If it makes you feel any better, I got flipped off in the Wal-Mart parking lot a couple of days ago by this manic Christmas shopper because I pulled into a parking space she wanted.  Then got a dirty look from an old dude today when I offered to let him go through the door of the grocery store first so I could put money in the Salvation Army bucket.

I hate/love the Holidays!!!

Dec 19 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

MrMisadventure

Brooklyn, New York, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
lol@ egging....I'd rather not waste good food on a grouchy woman.
At least she said thank you I guess but the tone was so cold and rude I was shocked.

how about some toilet paper?
TEEPEE!!!

Dec 19 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
There's a house down the street from me they had their decorations I thought it looked all pretty with the snow so I snapped a shot....and well I thought I'd be nice and give them a copy of it, just cause I'm nice and it's the Christmas season. So I went today to give them the picture after all it IS their house, and I told her I was a aspiring photographer handed her the picture and she was very rude and said "I don't think so!!!" I was like errrr you don't have to buy it I just thought I'd give it to you since it is your house, I'm sorry if I made you mad"  And she just said all pissy like "WELL THANK YOU BYE!"

https://hnsg.net/~michelle/mc.jpg

I think the house and decorations may be generic enough that they would be unable to PROVE it is their house.  My non-legal opinion says that you probably do not need a property release.

If you have no intention of trying to sell the image, that's reason for you to be even less concerned.
You would think people going through the trouble of decorating their house like this would...

1. Be more gracious
2. Love to have a photo!!  Especially one that is so well done!

Dec 19 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Not intending to sell at all just to have for my own collection of photos, and I took it from my property, we have a large triangle lot that isn't to far from the street and their house I was far enough away.

I'll do some research, but damn that'd be petty if they did do something. It was completely harmless. But I feel bad now and stupid as I said.

Thanks for making me feel better though everyone.

Dec 19 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I think the house and decorations may be generic enough that they would be unable to PROVE it is their house.  My non-legal opinion says that you probably do not need a property release.

If you have no intention of trying to sell the image, that's reason for you to be even less concerned.
You would think people going through the trouble of decorating their house like this would...

1. Be more gracious

I would agree that the reaction they had was unexpected, and rude. But, as for proving it is their house, they now have a copy of the photo and her word that it was of their house.

Dec 19 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

KatieK wrote:
I think it's great!  And very kind of you to offer them a print.  Don't let the b*tch get to you.

If it makes you feel any better, I got flipped off in the Wal-Mart parking lot a couple of days ago by this manic Christmas shopper because I pulled into a parking space she wanted.  Then got a dirty look from an old dude today when I offered to let him go through the door of the grocery store first so I could put money in the Salvation Army bucket.

I hate/love the Holidays!!!

Oh man I hear ya, I had a lady cursing up a storm at me and flipping me off cause I was trying to get out of target I was in my lane it isn't my fault she pulled out to face my vehicle so i sat there waiting for to get herself situated I was fine not angry things happen.  But boy she gave it to me and then some.
People are real pains in the ass this time of year. I have a love hate relationship with the holiday season too.

Dec 19 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
drop a few needles on her lawn, maybe some baking soda in a small cellophane. then call the cops.  Pretty red and blue lights to match the decorations will make one hell of a picture.

lol oh man that would be awesome!

Dec 19 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Wow that will be my next year christmas card  !!

Dec 19 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Mike Vinereanu wrote:

how about some toilet paper?
TEEPEE!!!

Teepee wouldn't be a bad idea, but I just can't see myself doing it, you can though:)

Dec 19 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

1. Be more gracious

Well here's to hoping. Thank you for the feedback. I would of thought so to, I mean you have it there for show..so why get mad?

Dec 19 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
Teepee wouldn't be a bad idea, but I just can't see myself doing it, you can though:)

find an out of work highschooler.  give him a 20 dollar bill and a bottle of thunderbird.

thunderbird you know it's good because it's fortified.

Dec 19 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

or go back later when you see the husband.

then he'll love the photo (he probably did all the work on the house) and later show wife.

And she'll be, "That bitch!!!"

and he'll be, "Damn woman, you're crazy.  She was just being nice!!"

and then'll be, "the photo goes or I go!"

then he'll say, "Ok, the photo goes."

Then they'll have sex that night.

Then he'll say, "On second thought, you should go."

Then he'll get a new wife.  And she'll love your photo.

Dec 19 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

D-O-N-S-I-R

Norwalk, California, US

That's a rad pic.  It's sad when we're rejected even with the best intentions.  But you know the saying: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Next house you decide to shoot, ask them first and they might even want to pay you for it.

Dec 19 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

or go back later when you see the husband.

then he'll love the photo (he probably did all the work on the house) and later show wife.

Thank you you made me laugh quiet a bit job well done, the images were going through my head as I read.

Photographer

Brad and Brad

Winter Park, Colorado, US

How can anybody that has that many lights outside their house be so rude around Christmas.  Sheesh, people amaze me sometimes.  Anyway, two things.  I love the picture, you did a great job on it.  It has a nice small town Christmas type feel to it and reminds me of when I used to live in a small town many years ago. 

Now, as far as whether or not she can do anything about it, here is my take on it.  I just took an entertainment business class with my film degree and the previous poster was right, if you took it from the sidewalk, you are fine, because that is private property.  BUT you actually DO have the right to sell that picture and make as much money off of it that you want to.  If you took that picture from a public location, you can do whatever you want to with it.  The only type of buildings that are protected against that are certain copyrighted buildings and other works of art, like an artist's statue, etc.  So basically, you can take a picture of a modest home decked out in Christmas lights, but you can't come to Orlando and take a picture of the Epcot dome at Disney World or Hard Rock Cafe and sell that picture.  Yes, you may get sued by the crazy lady living in that house, but you would win in the court case.

Now, I have 2 suggestions of how you should handle this situation and how I would do it if it was me.

1. Right after you handed it to her and she said "I don't think so."  You should have grabbed it from her, torn it up, and then started crying on her doorstep.

and my personal favorite....

2. I think you should print out about 50 of these photos and for the next week until Christmas, you should set up a little stand (much like a lemonade stand) outside her house on the public sidewalk and sell photos of her house for $1.00.  But then again, that's just me and I like screwing around with people who go out of their way to be rude to other people.

Keep up the good work, you have some great stuff.

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

burn the house down that way it makes a limited edition.....

karma's a bitch

Dec 19 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Thanks everyone for all your kind feedback, I think I am safe since I was still on my property when I took it I was out smoking.
Well if I didn't have my kids in the car I should of done the crying thing, that's better. The dollar one I'd freeze my ass off lol and I have kids so I couldn't do that one.

I will start asking from now on, just to save myself the trouble.

Dec 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

The Don Mon wrote:
burn the house down that way it makes a limited edition.....

karma's a bitch

hahahhaha oh my

Dec 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Mikel Featherston wrote:

I would agree that the reaction they had was unexpected, and rude. But, as for proving it is their house, they now have a copy of the photo and her word that it was of their house.

I'm not sure if that legally matters.  I think I can take a picture of a UPS airplane, edit out the logos, and then do whatever the hell I want with it.  I don't think even Boeing could come after me (assuming it was a Boeing airliner).

Think about on TV.  THey don't do it much these days, but comedies never licensed soda brands.  They'd use tape or something to make Coke not be Coke.  But we could still tell by the colors the swirl thing they have that it was a Coca-Cola can.  But since you couldn't read Coke or Coca-Cola, it was ok.

Their address is not in the photo.  Their name doesn't appear to be on the photo. There is nothing in the photo of a specific design that they claim ownership over.  I don't think they can protect their lighting setup as it's too ordinary.

I think they'd lose.  My opinion.  And not just because they are rude basturds.

Dec 19 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

I'm not sure if that legally matters.  I think I can take a picture of a UPS airplane, edit out the logos, and then do whatever the hell I want with it.  I don't think even Boeing could come after me (assuming it was a Boeing airliner).

Think about on TV.  THey don't do it much these days, but comedies never licensed soda brands.  They'd use tape or something to make Coke not be Coke.  But we could still tell by the colors the swirl thing they have that it was a Coca-Cola can.  But since you couldn't read Coke or Coca-Cola, it was ok.

Their address is not in the photo.  Their name doesn't appear to be on the photo. There is nothing in the photo of a specific design that they claim ownership over.  I don't think they can protect their lighting setup as it's too ordinary.

I think they'd lose.  My opinion.  And not just because they are rude basturds.

It is a shame her gesture was treated with such disrespect.

Dec 19 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

1. Be more gracious

I'd have to look at the copyright website to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that you can use this photo for anything you want. If a building is visible from a public place it becomes fair game for photography. If you have to trespass in order to shoot then you will need a property release. I'm rather sure there is a provision for just this sort of thing in the copyright law...

Here's something I found on the Stanford University's website:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_a … /12-d.html

2. Property Releases

In some cases, you'll need to obtain a release for using pictures of places. You may find this odd -- after all if a building can be viewed publicly why is permission required to use an image of it? Over the last few decades some buildings have earned protection under both trademark or copyright laws or both. Trademark law will protect a building's appearance under very limited circumstances. If a distinctive-looking building is used to signify a business's services, then you cannot use an image of that building in a manner that will confuse consumers. For example, the Sears Tower in Chicago functions as a trademark, and if you intend to use it in the foreground of an advertisement, permission should be obtained from the Sears Company. Use of the building's image for informational purposes, such as in magazine article, does not require permission.

Is permission needed to use the image of a trademarked building on a postcard or poster? That issue arose when a photographer sold images of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A federal court of appeals permitted the use of the trademarked building on posters and did not consider it to be trademark infringement. (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame v. Gentile, 134 F.3d 749 (6th Cir. 1998).)

Copyright protection also extends to architectural works, specifically for architectural works created after March 1, 1989. However copyright protection also has limitations. A release is not needed to photograph a building or property visible from a public place. However, permission is needed to photograph and reproduce images of a building protected by copyright and not visible from a public place. Entering private property to photograph a building or related private property may also trigger a claim of trespass. To avoid such claims, photographers, publishers and filmmakers use a property release, sometimes known as a location release.

Dec 19 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:

This is very sad -- the home owner should have been very happy for your photo; most sane people would be. And when you told her you weren't trying to sell it (I could see her being confused about this) the "normal" would be to laugh it off and offer you a beer. Well, I would anyway. People can be mean, and there's really nothing worse than a fake "thank you." It's all good -- her karma will come back and bite her in the ass. It always does.

Nice photo by the way!

-P-

Dec 19 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

...Go back later when you see the husband.

It is also very possible that the day before you snapped your shot, her husband of many years was killed in a car wreck.  And he was the one that made her house so beautiful through the years.

We never know what tragedy has afflicted those around us, or how we would react under such trying circumstances.

I would give her a pass and thank God we all have our own happy, comfortable lives. And hope we never know such pain that would blind us like this.

Make a beautiful print and write a nice letter to her, letting her know that the beauty of her lights inspired you.  And you would like to thank her with this gift.

Dec 19 06 06:13 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

What a scrooge!! How disappointing is that to do something nice and then be recieved in such a way. *sighs* Just for that you ought to find a nice BIG greeting card company and sell them the image... when someone lets her know it was her house she'd be fuming, but you'd have money in your pocket. As others have said, its obvious that you were not going out of your way to shoot it, and it is visable from public property, so its public domain for images, and thus you can make money off of it smile Cool.
I'd buy cards that looked like that. Nice message on the inside that says something about the light of the season...

Anybody ever know how much the SUPER light guy made for allowing Miller Lite to use his house in their commercial last year???? (THis guy: http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/xmaslights.asp )

Dec 19 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

Some people just want to be evil and horrible. They WANT to.

Knowing that, don't let it bother you. It sucks, but at least you know you tried to do a nice thing.

Dec 19 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Wahoo, that was post 900... this means only 199 more to go!!

Dec 19 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

Things Viral

Stockport, England, United Kingdom

Awwww I'd be so pleased if someone was nice enough to do that near my house! I would have invited you in for mince pies smile

You should have made her feel guilty about being so horrid! But how, I don't know.. tongue

Dec 19 06 06:18 pm Link

Model

Ms Jenni

Springfield, Colorado, US

I know I would have been thrilled to have my neighbor bring that gorgeous picture of my house over.

Dec 19 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

It's a beautiful photo.
Sounds like she was in the middle of covering up a murder when you showed up at her house. Like she had set up an alibi else where and not supposed to be at home killing her husband for insurance money, for example. Blow up the photo and see if you can see anything unusual through the window smile

Dec 19 06 06:24 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

I'm sure it's okay if the images are for personal use and not for sale or on display.....? Idk..

Dec 19 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

nikki fiction

Sacramento, California, US

what a@#holes....

Dec 19 06 06:26 pm Link