Forums > General Industry > Short Models?

Model

Feleica Marie

Valdosta, Georgia, US

Hi, MMers. I want to know how can I get noticed in the modeling world without my height being an issue. All I can seem to get are promotional jobs, which aren't a problem, but I want the BIG bucks! By the way Im' 5'4.....

Dec 19 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

I'm 5' even and older, and in the modeling world it's mostly a young and tall world...

Dec 19 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

Teresa P

New York, New York, US

Great question... I get mostly promotional jobs that are paid... Thinking about car modeling too...

I heard commerical might like shorter girls like us? haha not sure tho... what does everyone else think?

Dec 19 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

M Kym

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I think your best bet is glamour.  But you may be able to squeeze by with print or commercial stuff, because your pictures make you look taller than you are.  look for some glamour modeling agencies or a big agency with a reputable petite division.  You may be able to find great success there.  Good luck!!

Dec 19 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I have done a few assignments for products (commercial) and most of the models I worked with were under 5' 6''. I mean tall models have the advantage for fashion/runway but there are plenty of jobs out there for shorter models

Dec 19 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Feleica Marie

Valdosta, Georgia, US

Thanks so much guys! Keep 'em coming!

Dec 19 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

melissa mcintosh

Plano, Texas, US

I prefer the term Vertically challenged

Dec 19 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

Go for commercial!!! 5'4" seems very acceptable!!!

Dec 19 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

You'll find some useful info here:  http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

Dec 19 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

JoannaFlores

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the world of high fashion should be more open to shorter models haha..I have long limbs but I'm not 5'10...I'm too short by 6 inches

Then again I havnt had a taste of the industry quite yet..so if I was offered promotional stuff that'd be kool too

Dec 19 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Feleica Soul wrote:
but I want the BIG bucks!

There's a saying that serves all professions well: Don't chase the money. If you're doing what you love, the money will come...but if it doesn't, you're still enjoying what you're doing. If you're in it for the money you're guaranteed disappointment.

Dec 19 06 03:13 pm Link

Dec 19 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

This topic came up on here before. There was a model who wanted to get paid on here. There were different points of views about that topic. Someone stated that she couldn't make it in the fashion industry because she isn't tall. It is true that tall is what is in demand, but I didn't fully agree with the statement. I used MM member, Giselle as a proven example of someone who is not only getting paid on here, but she does primarily fashion. She's only 5' 3".

Dec 19 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Here's the deal . You can do commercial work at 5'2"-3"-4"  but the women over 5'5" will get chosen first. It is VERY difficult. You must have strong NON SEXY pics.

I don't know which Giselle they are reffering too, but I don't think she's MAKING MONEY doing REGULAR fashion! 5'7" MAYBE. Not 5'3"

newmodels.com explains it all nicely.

Dec 19 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Unfortunately, there really aren't big bucks to be made by petites unless they're doing "adult" work.

(

Dec 19 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Unfortunately, there really aren't big bucks to be made by petites unless they're doing "adult" work.

(

Dec 19 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Feleica Soul wrote:
Hi, MMers. I want to know how can I get noticed in the modeling world without my height being an issue. All I can seem to get are promotional jobs, which aren't a problem, but I want the BIG bucks! By the way Im' 5'4.....

In my opinion as another 5'4" model, you will never make the high fashion runway big bucks, sorry just being real.
I do have some fashion photographer's that will only shoot with 5'7" and up with rare exceptions and some of them contact me.

Kisses,
MEL

Dec 19 06 04:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Feleica Soul wrote:

Well... I'm 5'2" plus some more micro inches with the hair on my head...

Runway Nope
Commercial yes
Glamour yes

One of many solutions... Network... Get out there ...  Build your port and give a good presentation. With all things it takes time. But you have to be willing to work for it and patience patience... Hard work does not go unnoticed...

Well I hope not lmao jk jk...

Dec 19 06 11:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

melissa mcintosh wrote:
I prefer the term Vertically challenged

Yeah me tooooo lol

Dec 19 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For BIG bucks your best bet is commercial print.  But you're too short for even MOST of that work.

There is money in glam.  Not a lot, but it's no slouch either, you just have to know how to properly market yourself, because succeeding as a glam model does NOT follow the same path as a fashion/ commercial/ agency model at all.

Dec 19 06 11:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Ransom J wrote:
you just have to know how to properly market yourself, because succeeding as a glam model does NOT follow the same path as a fashion/ commercial/ agency model at all.

Very very true

Dec 19 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Ransom J wrote:
For BIG bucks your best bet is commercial print.  But you're too short for even MOST of that work.

There is money in glam.  Not a lot, but it's no slouch either, you just have to know how to properly market yourself, because succeeding as a glam model does NOT follow the same path as a fashion/ commercial/ agency model at all.

how tall is tall enough?
sorry I dont have any knowledge of this:P

Dec 19 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lestari wrote:

how tall is tall enough?
sorry I dont have any knowledge of this:P

Typically the cut off is around 5'6".  This is not to say they don't hire girls shorter, but it's increasingly more difficult to book work as a commercial model if you are under 5'6".  Unless you are Asian.  Then the rules skew slightly to the shorter end of the scale.

Dec 20 06 12:01 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Ransom J wrote:

Typically the cut off is around 5'6".  This is not to say they don't hire girls shorter, but it's increasingly more difficult to book work as a commercial model if you are under 5'6".  Unless you are Asian.  Then the rules skew slightly to the shorter end of the scale.

Yaaay!

Okay thanks:)

Dec 20 06 12:04 am Link