Forums > General Industry > Ruth Bernhard

Photographer

SMK Images

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I read this morning that she passed away Monday morning. A great artist that will be missed. Rest In Peace.

Here is alink to the story that I found: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … ss.bayarea

Dec 19 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Sigh. I was going to stay away but I came across this on the main page and couldn't resist. I met her 10 years ago. A tiny little woman who was a grande dame in the truest sense, she very definition of spry, with a mind like a steel trap, and a straight-shooting, matter-of-factual sense of humor. Even if you didn't know her photography, just meeting her you'd guess that she was great at something.

And "fine art nude" shooters have been blatantly ripping off her act for 50 years now. Like Ansel Adams, I think she's kind of the end of her line, creatively. The apogee of a particular tradition in art, from which there seems to be no evolution, (only mimicry), perhaps because the idea is now outdated.

Rest in peace, Ms. Berhard.

Dec 19 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

ahhhhhhh crap. I always had this belief that she, like her images, would really live forever. Marko, you're lucky to have met her. It was always a dream of mine.

Dec 19 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

richardnyc

New York, New York, US

A really great artist gone.... Sad but her work will live on forever...

Dec 19 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

so sad ::::

Dec 19 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

She had an excellent eye and imagination. I was surprised to read that her father was the noted type designer. Thanks for the link.

Dec 19 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
I met her 10 years ago. A tiny little woman who was a grande dame in the truest sense, she very definition of spry, with a mind like a steel trap, and a straight-shooting, matter-of-factual sense of humor. Even if you didn't know her photography, just meeting her you'd guess that she was great at something.

If only every photographer had the opportunity to meet one of the true legends of the field. I think it would alter all our perspectives and allow us to understand why the term "art" is associated with photography. Viewing their work...Reading their biographies just doesn't do justice to the impact they've left. I think we all have our wish list of who we would like to meet...or wish we had met. I've not had the opportunity to have the privilege of meeting any of my influences, idols  but I'm positive it would change everything dramatically.

Dec 19 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

A sad day for the rest of us, but good grief what a wonderful life and career she had! Such a great artist.

Dec 19 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I had the pleasure of spending a day with her, about 15 years ago.  That was a joyous, memorable day.  Here are some of the things I remember.

She spent 20 minutes looking at two eggs & noting how different they were from each other.

She loved my little portable, collapsable reflector.  I left it with her.

At one point, we were walking along the street & conversing, when suddenly, I noticed that she was no longer walking by my side.  I turned around & there she was, 10-15 feet behind.  She had picked up a pine cone from the ground & was holding it up to the sunlight, turning it this way & that.  Despite being well in her 80's at the time, she had a child-like wonder at everything.  She clearly was noticing stuff that never made it past my internal filter.

Her hands were always busy.  She was always touching things & people.

While she was well known for her nudes (and for good reason), she loved her still life images.  We talked more about those than the nudes.  She had a favorite of a silver teapot that had been run over by a truck.

When we were talking about the nudes, I asked her how many exposures did she make during her typical sitting.  Her answer was "Oh, just the one."  I was floored by that answer.  An exception:  her famous image of the nude lying in the box -- she made two exposures that day:  the horizontal one was the famous one, but she made a vertical one, too.  That box was the box that her enlarger was shipped in.

I don't think she ever used strobes, and used artificial lights rarely (if at all).  She came from an era where photographic materials weren't very "fast", so her style was developed based on long exposures.  Her nudes were still lives -- not much action, not much in terms of robust settings.

Another famous picture was of two models -- one white model with her back towards the camera & one black model behind the white one, with her hand wrapped around the white woman's waist, holding the small of her back.  Ruth had been working with the two models & was not finding what she wanted -- she asked the two models to stand close to each other, but the white model didn't hear her, so the black model was in the act of moving the white model closer when Ruth made the exposure.

At the end of the day, I was exhausted.  She wore me out.

She was from the golden age of photography.  This is sad news.

Dec 19 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

SMK Images

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I must admit that I really didn't know her name, but I do know some of her work. Thank you all for the posts, without which I would have never know about this side of her.

Dec 19 06 03:47 pm Link