Forums > General Industry > Pre-shoot preparing. How much on your last shoot?

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

For the photographer, there's checking equipment, prepping the lights, getting props, setting up backdrops, etc... And the list goes on. How much time did you invest on your last shoot?

For the model's, I'm interested in knowing what you do 'behind the scene' to prepare for a shoot. How much time did you spend on your last shoot to get ready?

Dec 18 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

tgimaging wrote:
For the photographer, there's checking equipment, prepping the lights, getting props, setting up backdrops, etc... And the list goes on. How much time did you invest on your last shoot?

For the model's, I'm interested in knowing what you do 'behind the scene' to prepare for a shoot. How much time did you spend on your last shoot to get ready?

It depends on what is necessary for the shoot. Different shoots require different things. Some dont take much prepping. some will require me to drive around town.

My last shoot was spur of the moment....
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061214/12/458186d977d30.jpg

just decided to hop in the tin bucket while waiting for customers to show...

Dec 18 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I spend quite a bit of time thinking about and preparing for my shoots. I will spend as much time as I have between the time the shoot was arranged and the time the shoot occurs preparing in some manner. This includes getting a general feel for the shoot, finding wardrobe, I may need to contact stylists of some sort, do my nails, get waxed, other general upkeep.

Dec 18 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

A couple weeks going over concept, styling, location, and logistics.

Dec 18 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Rena wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time thinking about and preparing for my shoots. I will spend as much time as I have between the time the shoot was arranged and the time the shoot occurs preparing in some manner. This includes getting a general feel for the shoot, finding wardrobe, I may need to contact stylists of some sort, do my nails, get wazed, other general upkeep.

Is getting 'wazed' like having 'wronkled' sheets? smile LOL

Thank you for the feedback.

Dec 18 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

tgimaging wrote:

Is getting wazed like having wronkled sheets? smile LOL

Thank you for the feedback.

lol yeah...I fixed that, you beat me to it.

Dec 18 06 08:19 pm Link

Model

Modell T

San Diego, California, US

I typically spend hours...nails, hair, gathering up make-up (if doing my own), searching and packing for wardrobe changes including shoes, lingerie, stockings....
Waxing, takes a few minutes...

I would guestimate about 5 hours prep time before a shoot if possible.

I have a number of shoots back to back, so I'll need to pack multiple items, and be as ready as I can be in advance...so in the AM, all I need to do is shower, make-up, grab bags and leave in enough time to get to the shoot.  Typically, photographer and I spend some time discussing the project to some degree via e mail, telephone...and then once I arrive discuss changes, etc.

Happy working!!

T

Dec 18 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

On my last shoot I spent a week designing and building out the set (actually it was a bit longer as I only worked on it a few hours a day, but it could have been completed in a week).  This meant coming up with an idea, storyboarding it, talking it over with my stylist, going out and purchasing all the materials and then actually constructing it.  Another two days pre-lighting it and experimenting with the look and lighting.  One day coming up with a wardrobe idea with my stylist and then had to go out and get the materials.  A day or so communicating with the model, and getting pics of her to my stylist/MUA.  On the day of the shoot she spent almost three hours in makeup and wardrobe.  Spent another hour or so tweaking the lighting with her on set, and adjusting wardrobe and MU.  We shot that one look in a several poses for about four hours.

Matt

Here's a shot from that set:

https://www.paramourproductions.com/featured_shoots/jonessa_blackstone/jonessa_blackstone_5b.jpg

Dec 18 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Rena wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time thinking about and preparing for my shoots. I will spend as much time as I have between the time the shoot was arranged and the time the shoot occurs preparing in some manner. This includes getting a general feel for the shoot, finding wardrobe, I may need to contact stylists of some sort, do my nails, get waxed, other general upkeep.

Yup, sometimes it takes a loooong time.  I had a nude shoot a few weeks ago for which the photographer didn't tell me until 4 hours before the shoot that he wanted me completely bare, so I ended up getting a bikini wax and then a brazillian 19 hours later.  Ouch.  Plus nails, hair (I usually straighten mine which takes forever), shaving everything that isn't already waxed, various lotions and skin concoctions...  My husband jokes that I spend longer preping for shoots than I do shooting.

Then again, sometimes I have shoots where the photographer just says come as you are.  Those are great!

Dec 18 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

It depends on whether or not I am shooting with a new model (that prep takes longer) and if I'm going to be doing "Pit and the Pendulum", which also takes longer to set up.

A typical set up takes about 1 hour outside the studio, then 45 minutes in the studio before the shoot.  With a new model, I add 15 minutes to go over the rules.  Since I shoot bondage mostly, there are rules that are there for the models' safety, and I make sure they understand them before we start shooting. 

The pendulum adds 30 minutes to a set-up.  It's a pain to get it into the right place on the backdrop, get the height right, the lights correct, etc.

Dec 18 06 09:49 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

depends on the shoot.

Dec 18 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

...Stacy wrote:
depends on the shoot.

How about on your last shoot?

Dec 18 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My last shoot? Talking with the model about the shoot and getting acquainted for about 45 minutes and 10 minutes setting up lights and background. Before that, 40 years of shooting experience.

Dec 18 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Marcos N

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

for my last shoot it took me 1 hour to get ready. that not including all the workout before hand.

Dec 18 06 11:44 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

my thing is way tooooooo long to type- and probably nobody wants to sit and read everything i'd write anyways

Dec 18 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

tgimaging wrote:

How about on your last shoot?

well, I had to do alot more prep than I used to do, and It was all mental since it was my first "nude" shoot...  Plus I had to shave my armpits, wash my hair, and pick out clothes...  then put the clothes back, then repack them and just leave without them...

Dec 19 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

too much. smile really, it depends. but it involves rearranging furnitures and painting the walls of my home studio. sad

Dec 19 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

my last dozen images on my port were spur-of-the-moment events.  But my current casting call has been in motion years before i've ever touched a camera. I have a few incarnations which have been illustrated and gone through photoshop to simulate the real thing, but haven't been shot yet. Of course, I do this all for fun. so i shoot whenever the time is right smile

Dec 19 06 02:34 am Link

Model

Ms Jennifer Denise

Seattle, Washington, US

For my last shoot it took me about an hour, and that was just picking outfits to wear because there was a stylist. Otherwise, it usually takes me a good 4+ hours if I'm styling my own hair and doing my own makeup. I also have to pick/buy outfits too. My hair takes the longest!

Dec 19 06 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Stacy wrote:

It depends on what is necessary for the shoot. Different shoots require different things. Some dont take much prepping. some will require me to drive around town.

My last shoot was spur of the moment....
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061214/12/458186d977d30.jpg

just decided to hop in the tin bucket while waiting for customers to show...

Not sure about the dogs hittin' it on the other side of the plane. Thats some kind of crazy shit there.

Dec 19 06 04:30 am Link

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

wait ppl actually prep for shoots?
Most of my shoots i throw some guns and swords in a bag grab a few girls and some luck (or unlucky) guy and look for the nearest unused spot that looks slightly wartorn and start shooting
I will say prepping for one shoot recently involved single handedly manhandling 4 old (and heavy) couches out of an unused storage room in the back of a building to make room to shoot and that took a few minutes.
The most prep is teaching the girls poses (and in a lot of cases moves) and how to use the weapons i work with. But i do all that a few days prior to the shoot.
I also utilize available light 90% of the time so its all about using God's light kit; that flaming ball of gas 90million miles away : )

Dec 19 06 07:34 am Link