Forums > General Industry > "Stealing" Poses & Framing

Photographer

thatsphotography

Ponce Inlet, Florida, US

Hi people,

I was just browsing thru portfolios randomly and there are really some really nice and interesting poses/framing techniques/etc... that I really liked.

Would it be ok for me to use their ideas and then try to in a way recreate them myself, and still be able to call it my work?

Do I have to like quote or mention who gave me the idea when putting together my own portfolio?

Cheers

Dec 18 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

Chances are that very little of what you see anywhere is 100% original. Often photographers try to recreate poses, backgrounds, or framing which they really like.

If you visit enough photography or modeling websites, its likely you will see very similar work many times. Because certain poses look good, they are popular with models and photographers alike.

Be creative, take poses you like and play around with them, see what you can do with lighting, positioning of face, limbs, expressions, and so on. Your resulting work won't be quite like the original, just use what you find as a good example to experiment with.

Dec 18 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

No, don't use mine.  I'll know and I won't be happy.

j/k. Like the poster before me said, nothing is original at this point.

Dec 18 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I took some classes in fashion design.  One of the first things they admitted was that any creation is inspired by something else.  Those that are considered trend setters/unique are simply better at hiding their inspiration than others.

Photographers on the other hand all like to think they've got something unique.  The reallity is, there much more like fashion designers than we'd like to think.

Go ahead, look at framing, poses you like and go duplicate them.  Do it until you develop them into something that's yours.  You're not stealing their work, you're using their inspiration.

Dec 18 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

thatsphotography

Ponce Inlet, Florida, US

Thanx guys for sheding some light, in a country(USA) where you can sue anybody for anything... I felt it would be bettter if i got a more opnions, or get a very powerful lawyer, hmmm oh wait, i already have that smile

There are alot of very awesome poses and framing techniques here for me to steal.

muahaahaahaa... tongue

Cheers

Dec 18 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

that caution tape and angel wings is mine. I have the copyright. you cant use it.

Dec 18 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

On top of being over-rated, originality is largely non-existant for all intents and purposes.  We're all inspired by something, somewhere, someone...  Even those who influence us are inspired by someone else.  People get caught up in the notion of "copying" and completely ignore that concept of inspiration.  Being inspired by something you see is not wrong; it's natural. 

The desire to rip-off another's idea, on the other hand, is both unnatural & abominable and will land you on a very short list of useless lifeforms along with roaches and people who show too much public affection...

Dec 18 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
that caution tape and angel wings is mine. I have the copyright. you cant use it.

Fine, the train tracks are mine then.

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

As long as you're not Photoshoping your head onto someone elses body you'll be OK. There are no original poses left...they have all been done by somebody.

Photographer

thatsphotography

Ponce Inlet, Florida, US

man i hate those pictures

j/king, but back to the point, can you copyright an idea? I know the picture is copyrighted, but the pose/framing/lighting of a picture???

Dec 18 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

markcomp wrote:

Oh yeah?? Well, the hands on the hips while smiling, PLUS the hands over the breasts is mine. tongue

Dec 18 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Photeaux 4

San Antonio, Florida, US

I believe this is what we call "influence" in the art work.  When you see someone's style or ideas and you use them in your own work and add your own creative touch to them.

Dec 18 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:

Oh yeah?? Well, the hands on the hips while smiling, PLUS the hands over the breasts is mine. tongue

Dang!! I forgot the hands over breasts.  Well then pulling the sunglasses down just a little while they are still on your face and looking over the top of them is mine.

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

I don't think I have anything original and creative enough on my port to tempt anyone to do more than say 'bleah' as they look. (Except the models themselves -they are sweet people and I love 'em!)

But if someone was to 'steal' one of my concepts.....

it would be such an honor!

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I do this all the time.

For me the key is not to copy exactly but to vary it enough to make the pose work for the lighting and model.

I often print out images from sites, rip out tears in mags or open a book and point the model to the pose I want.

For example:

For some of my art nudes I often look at my existing book collections for inspirtation. One of my favorites is famed art photographer Andreas Bitesnich's book Nudes.

I'll poses from the images in that book as a starting point and work the pose differently until I get what I want.

Dec 18 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

OK, well I bought the rights to the finger in the mouth and pucker look.

My law firm of Dewey Cheathem and Howe will check your portfolio from time to tme.

Dec 18 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Already did, put up yer dukes.

https://www.brucetalbot.com/wing.jpg

You can keep the caution tape tho, it's itchy.

bt

Dec 18 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

https://www.brucetalbot.com/wing.jpg

bt

Well Bruce, here is your only offer. My lawyer in Dewey Cheatham and Howe can sue you. or I can be your assistant for two weeks.

Dec 18 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

T Edward Glazar

Sunnyside, Georgia, US

Aaagogo wrote:
Hi people,

I was just browsing thru portfolios randomly and there are really some really nice and interesting poses/framing techniques/etc... that I really liked.

Would it be ok for me to use their ideas and then try to in a way recreate them myself, and still be able to call it my work?

Do I have to like quote or mention who gave me the idea when putting together my own portfolio?

Cheers

Feel free to steal mine, but be prepared to get lots of negative feedback.
"...does nothing to flatter the model."
"Your wide angle makes your model look..."
Etc.

Dec 18 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

Uh Uno, I think we're going to have to give the nod to BT.

Edit:  Checks Bruces port for any train track pics.

Dec 18 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Remember fembots from the six million dollar man? I am constructing an army of sophisticated robotic models that I will be using to duplicate Bruce Talbot's work. I call them tal-bots, and with them I will rule the world.

Dec 18 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Aaagogo wrote:
j/king, but back to the point, can you copyright an idea? I know the picture is copyrighted, but the pose/framing/lighting of a picture???

Copyright an idea? Nope. But you can get a patent if it's demonstrated to be largely original.

Copyright. Easy. Push button. Yours.
Patent. Diligent effort. More time and $$. Idea will be scrutinized. May be yours.

...... don't forget to register ya copyrights. When offenders are faced with, statutory damages and punitive damages, they're wonderful tools for settling out of court.

bt

Dec 18 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Crap! What about if I add...uh...a belt? Or have railroad tracks in the background? Would that still be infringing? smile

Dec 18 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:

See? I can't even post something original. I didn't see someone had already beat me to it.

Dec 18 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Well Bruce, here is your only offer. My lawyer in Dewey Cheatham and Howe can sue you. or I can be your assistant for two weeks.

Difficult choice I have here. Do I have to feed ya?

bt

Dec 18 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

See? I can't even post something original. I didn't see someone had already beat me to it.

I got the sunglass thing too, don't forget the sunglass thing.

Dec 18 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aaagogo wrote:
man i hate those pictures

I hope you are joking???? copyright a pose? lighting?

Dec 18 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Something to point out, a lot of times you start out using someone else's pose/idea for inspiration and you end up coming up w/ something else different that is completely your own. I've had that happen a few times smile

Dec 18 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Sorry fogot to add in the 1st one: If you look around on mm you'll see several of the same poses or ideas in different portfolios. I wouldn't worry about copy wright stuff too much (as long as it's not an exact replica)

Dec 18 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

digital Artform wrote:
Remember fembots from the six million dollar man? I am constructing an army of sophisticated robotic models that I will be using to duplicate Bruce Talbot's work. I call them tal-bots, and with them I will rule the world.

OOOooooOOOooooooo - I'm so stealing that one!

........ after I dry my eyes.   kan"tt hjardlle cie (6-4= _?_) tiyeep.

bt

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

markcomp wrote:

Oh yeah, I did this in 1965,, no 1945, no 1925, before Bruce was even born. I showed this to Albert Einstein. Yes!
https://207.159.151.228/mm/wings.jpg

Photographer

thatsphotography

Ponce Inlet, Florida, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Copyright. Easy. Push button. Yours. (this part i know, push button mine, but unless with a picture release form signed by the "model" in the picture, I cannot use it to make money in anyway.)

...... don't forget to register ya copyrights. When offenders are faced with, statutory damages and punitive damages, they're wonderful tools for settling out of court. (care to shed more light on registering for copyrights)

bt

Dec 18 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Difficult choice I have here. Do I have to feed ya?

bt

No, I can feed myself.  No hanky panky though. I am an artiste.

Dec 18 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Oh yeah, I did this in 1965,, no 1945, no 1925, before Bruce was even born. I showed this to Albert Einstein. Yes!

That's odd.  I saw that model recently and she didn't look a day over 22.

Dec 18 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

everything has already been shot. unless you use the same model and try to capture the same pose, then that would be wrong.

Dec 18 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

No, I can feed myself.  No hanky panky though. I am an artiste.

Agreed. And may it not rain ..........as we will most certainly drown.

btw - where is the 3rd angel?  C'mon boys, cough 'er up!

bt

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Aaagogo wrote:
Hi people,

Cheers

I have the Copyright on Caution tape implied nudity shots.  If you wish to use that style, you can license from me for $5 per photo.

Edit:  btw, Uno, I don't appreciate you claiming copyright.  You merely have a license.  Speaking of which, your account is waaaay over due.

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

As soon as I get a gas-mask pic in my port I get that one...eff that Weston guy!

Dec 18 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Copyright. Easy. Push button. Yours.

Aaagogo wrote:
(this part i know, push button mine, but unless with a picture release form signed by the "model" in the picture, I cannot use it to make money in anyway.)

True. That's a difference in having a right and a permission.

Bruce Talbot wrote:
...... don't forget to register ya copyrights. When offenders are faced with, statutory damages and punitive damages, they're wonderful tools for settling out of court.

Aaagogo wrote:
(care to shed more light on registering for copyrights)

It's all right here - http://www.copyright.gov

And your paperwork is waiting right ova' there - http://www.copyright.gov/forms/

bt

Dec 18 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

markcomp wrote:

What? No wisecracks about being stronger than a locomotive?

.........and I thought you guys were good. Geez. smile

bt

Dec 18 06 03:59 pm Link