Forums > General Industry > Shooting with TOTAL STRANGERS!!

Photographer

Photography about Image

Rancho Mirage, California, US

Like most photographers, I often see people with tremendous potential as models just walking down the street, in the supermarket, at Starbucks and so forth. So the question is why not ask? A lot of colleagues ask me "where do you find these great models?", and the answer is everywhere!

Professional models are great due to there comfort with modeling but often, the most unique and fresh faces are to be found in people that have no experience. In a number of cases, the spontaneousness of a good face with no experience can equal pictures of a great face that has been shot-to-death. A Naive model with a great face and/or body equals world class results.

So the questions is how? Four factors are critical: Location of the encounter, the type of work you wish to shoot, the way the presentation is made and having professional work to show the model.

In terms of locations, good ones are those that have the least to do with beauty. Places like gyms are completely out. Women have their "creep detector" working overtime and men feel obligated to exhibit macho posturing. Salons and spas are just as bad as there is an emphasis on superficiality, that is the antithesis a great model's personality.

Good locations are not 'places of power' but instead places where people feel the most ordinary. Women, in particular, are very moved when a total stranger walks up to them in a store (especially when they have no make-up on or special clothing on) and says "I love your look!" Also places like Michael's craft shops are great as many women are very much in a creative frame of mind and a feeling of 'trying new things' is very much in force. Great locations for finding male models are social settings like restaurants, events, street fairs and 'after-work' places.

If you are wishing to shoot fashion or portraiture, most any venue is probably good-enough to approach the individual. Swimsuits and fitness are somewhat touchier, but most people are probably interested as long as they don't feel that the photographer has ulterior motives. Nudes require some serious posh and a special type of person to consider it.

In all of these types of work, it is important to look the person in the eye, speak with serious enthusiasm and admit 'how crazy this must sound'. Counter-intuitively, it is much better if the subject of interest is with friends or a significant other when you ask. Firstly, because they feel secure and secondly, because the friends will often be just as intrigued and will do the following-up for you! "Did you get to take pictures with that photographer yet?" Also, it really demonstrates that you are seriously interested if you are willing to humiliate yourself infront of them AND their friend/s to avoid missing the opportunity. If your intuition tells you that the person you wish to shoot might be in a situation or mood that would make asking them needlessly awkward, then by all means approach one of the friends. Make them look great in pictures and you will have an in to work with the person you were originally interested in and in some cases, the friend winds up being awesome in their own way. I don't want this to sound manipulative or exploitive. Ultimately, if they are not interested, it won't happen and as long as a photographer does his best in each case - all is fair in making GREAT WORK!

The last issue, as previously mentioned is having something good to show them. When a photog is in the beginning of their career, it is virtually imperative to hire a few professional models to build up work worth showing, or shoot with close friends, but in time, one's work will speak for itself. It is better to avoid taking-up a lot of their time showing them your book on the spot, but leaving a card (preferably, with a great signature image on it that DOES NOT FALL INTO ANY PARTICULAR CATEGORY) is best. Let them wonder for a time about what you have in mind. The best scenario is to ask them for an e-mail address and wait about a day then either email photos, or better-yet direct them to a website. Especially in the case of nudes, it is best not bring up the actual type of shoot at the moment of approach, but let them see your work without you there making them nervous. If they like it, the they will be very much on-board, and if you don't here back, then move on.

Additionally, the offer you make is very important. It needs to be worth their time. In non-paying situations, I provide the models with CD, prints, Shared copyright, shared-profits from print-sales (in-writing) and veto-power if any of the final prints are not to their liking. This may sound like a lot, but it has made dozens of exquisite unknowns available that might have never considered posing.

The first person I tried this approach with was a beautiful blond riding a bike in my college town. I trailed after her for nearly a block and crossed the street to avoid loosing her. My invitation was made short-of breath and without much in the way of materials to show her, but she was so charmed that we wound up shooting some of my best work on two occasions and she remains a good friend to this day.

Professional models are truly a wonderful resource, but the smart photographer realizes that they are on casting-call each moment of each day and the way a total stranger deals with an impromptu request tells you everything you need to know about their working-qualities as a model.

Til next time, Keep hittin' the button!!

Adam Albrec
Photography about Image

Dec 18 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Richmond Body Art

Richmond, Virginia, US

I will second that, I have had in the past, and now meet some great Men and women and most are still friends today,

Dec 18 06 09:30 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

yeah, why not ask...

after a year of living in NYC (moved her years ago)... i was at Kinkos Copy Center and an artist was there copying his work and he asked me to art model... and that's how i got back into art modeling in NYC...

so it never hurts to ask!!!

Dec 18 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Lifestyle Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Very insightful and informative. Thank you!

Dec 18 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

TheOneEyedShooter

Sonoita, Arizona, US

This is how I've recruited 75% of the models I work with...thank god for Wal-Mart...

Dec 18 06 09:41 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

Wish someone would talent spot me. I think it would be a big compliment if the photographer came across as professional and non creepy, so the person would be more likely to agree.

Dec 18 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Very good advice, I always keep my business cards handy when I'm out and about. As the old saying goes "you won't know till you ask!!".........

Dec 18 06 10:13 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dec 18 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I always have my port or my scripts or my music with me all the time when I'm at work or anywhere..even at a social gathering I'm always working it...
somebody knows somebody...and that somebody is YOU!

The Edge--GMX

Dec 18 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Take it from first hand experience, if you see the opportunity,take it. Some of you may have remembered my thread: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=91491

I found out this passed weekend that she is no longer with the restaurant. A real missed opportunity that will bum me out for some time to come now.

Gary

Dec 18 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Great post.  I do the same thing and have had great results.  It's always nice to see an upbeat, informative post on the boards.

Dec 18 06 02:35 pm Link