Forums > General Industry > Never use your wife as an assistant!

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

One good reason....you can't fire her!

I had a minor job yesterday. Just a few group shots, some individual. Really wasn't a big deal at least not enough to hire an assistant. However, I did need someone to fill out paperwork at the site. So I asked my wife is she could give me hand for a few hours.

Bad Move!

After the first fifteen minutes she became an expert on how to crop a photo for best effect.

After twenty minutes she knew all about color balance.

After one hour she began to tell me how shoot the photos.

All I wanted was for her to keep track of the paper work on site!

It's very hard to shoot while biting your tongue. The pain can become quite uncomfortable.

Dec 17 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Passion Junk

Perhaps you should have taken your wife aside and asked her politely to let you do your job. I'm sure that would have been very frustrating. Perhaps next time you decide you need to take soemone along and you figure she can handle the job tell her beforehand what it is exactly that you need her to do and then inform her that it would be greatly appreciated if she would stick to that job. Let her know that if she does anything else it will cause you to lose your focus.

The photog that i currently work for takes his wife to almost every shoot he goes on and it works really well for the two of them, but they spoke before about what the boundaries were.

Best of luck on future shoots

Dec 17 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Winstead

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

You should have handed her the camera and told her to shoot!

In all seriousness, I have a buddy who often uses his girlfriend as an assistant. They have a great relationship and she admits up front that she doesn't have any photographic talent, so they make a good team.

Dec 17 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

It is obvious the two responders ARENT married.. LMAO

Good job biting your tongue.. you did the right thing..

Dec 17 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Haha, you can be right or be happy.

Dec 17 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just worked today with photographer who had his girlfriend there as an Makeup artist. Cool combination she directed some of the shots and as well as gave ideas for poses and angles.

Interesting really he seemed very receptive. It was cool seeing a couple who artistically drew from eachother to get a shot.

You may want to be a little opened minded as well to her ideas... Many people are stuck in there own habits and ways of shooting which may or may not be a good.

Good Luck with it though. Hopeful it will do more good then annoying for ya smile

*sandra

Dec 17 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

UIPHOTOS wrote:
It is obvious the two responders ARENT married..

Exactly!

Dec 17 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Haywood wrote:

Exactly!

Is it because your wife is more annoying then your girlfriend wink LOL

Dec 17 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
One good reason....you can't fire her!

I had a minor job yesterday. Just a few group shots, some individual. Really wasn't a big deal at least not enough to hire an assistant. However, I did need someone to fill out paperwork at the site. So I asked my wife is she could give me hand for a few hours.

Bad Move!

After the first fifteen minutes she became an expert on how to crop a photo for best effect.

After twenty minutes she knew all about color balance.

After one hour she began to tell me how shoot the photos.

All I wanted was for her to keep track of the paper work on site!

It's very hard to shoot while biting your tongue. The pain can become quite uncomfortable.

I bet you she makes a good roast beef though..
Believe me, I have  a GF that is the world authority on every subject known to man and some unknown too.

shariing is sweet !

Dec 17 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Wow, I'm married, and my husband has never tried to take over my shoots. He's helpful, and considerate, and only points out things that would make me more efficient. I only took it the wrong way a couple of times when I first started out. Now I couldn't imagine doing a shoot without him (which I'll have to this coming week. He's going to be here in KC, and I'll be in OKC for a shoot!)

Dec 17 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

I at one time had a girlfriend who loved to be able to assist on my shoots.. I took her to most of the ones I had while we were dating. It was a blessing and a pleasure to have her at my side on shoots. She got in to doing some modeling.. and then went on to do some adult videos.

I havent seen her in years (in person), but I have some of her XXX movies.

Dec 18 06 12:12 am Link