Forums > General Industry > Go into modeling agency?

Model

Scott Templar

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do other models recommend trying to sign with a modeling agency?  I have some alright pics now, and I'm considering sending some out to different agencies.  What are the pros and cons with this?  Good move?

Dec 17 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

If you want to make more money with a minimum of networking and time consumed on your part then yes.

Dec 17 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why do you need two threads to ask this question?

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=99408

Dec 17 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Can't hurt.  A legit agency will only make money if YOU make money.  See if they show interest in you.

Dec 17 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Personally, I think it's so much better to work with an agency than to DIY. This is based on pure economics. However, a nude model might make quite a bit more than me without an agency, due to the nature of the work.

Go to open calls, and see what happens. They'll be honest. If they think you can bring home the bacon, you might be in, but if they have doubts, they'll tell you "No thanks."

Good luck.

EDIT: By the way, I think you might have a shot, but scratch the "hand(s) on top of head" pose from your repertoire.

Dec 17 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Generally-dont send pics to an agency - just call up and ask when if they have an open call.  I think you should not put too much effort into modeling, just keep it as a hobby .- I dont see you having much work.

Mark

Dec 18 06 03:22 am Link

Model

J12313

Arlington, Virginia, US

what kind of agencies do you (MMers) suggest?  are the big cities the only places with agencies that can get you work?

Dec 18 06 03:26 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Of course, most agencies (in NYC at least) don't have open calls for men. (A day of the week or month with an hour or two set aside when they will see anyone who walks through the door... although there is a height requirement... yet, I used to always see the 5 foot girls come in anyway... why? God knows. I would be too nervous they would be pissed off.)

So get on some underwear and buy a ton of polaroids film. (and the polaroid camera of course) Have a photographer (just because they  know what they are doing) or a friend if you can't find a photographer willing to help you out to take some basic shots.

Close up of your face & a clos eup of your profile. (both sides)
Full length shots, front, back & side.
Shots from your waist up.

Stick them to some white paper and on the top write your name.
On the bottom put your height, measurements, suit size, eye & hair colour, DOB and your contact info. (email, cell, home, etc.)

Then, send them in to the top ten agencies. If you don';t hear back - try again. There are lots of bookers and one booker might love you while thye guy next to him or her doesn't like your look. So... if it doesn't work.. try, try again.

Good luck!
Rachel

Dec 18 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Oh, and I would just send in pols. Noneof the shots that you have up now.. if you did get signed (by a reputable agency) they would test you anyway and not use any of the stuff you have already done. Show them how look raw, no makeup, that is what they HAVE to see. Walking in, or sending in pix of any new face, girl or guy with a face full of makeup.. or any at all, is just a great way to assure they will get thrown in the trash asap.

And don't forget to take pix with your hair pulled back AND hanging loose.

GL again

Dec 18 06 05:08 pm Link