Forums > General Industry > Has anybody got a real job from this site???

Model

Farzan Athari

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Or is it just waste of time??? Thanks

Dec 16 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Farzan Athari wrote:

lol... ah, the old false dichotomy, that either we all get "real" work from an Internet site, or that it's a waste of time.

Paid gigs come through agencies. Your portfolio already shows some great work, I have no idea why you'd be trying to drum up paid business on a social networking site.

Sites like these are generally for people who want to network, learn, and do modeling as something other than a career (either due to their location, physical attributes, lack of ability, or personal priorities).

Dec 16 06 11:21 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

i got paid and published cause of this site and i have gotten 14 people off of this site paid and published too.

p.s. i am a photographer too

Dec 16 06 11:31 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I went to the US with ONLY jobs from here, so atleast for me it works great!

smile

Dec 16 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
lol... ah, the old false dichotomy, that either we all get "real" work from an Internet site, or that it's a waste of time.

I agree. Why either or?

I have not gotten any "paid" work from MM. However, I've met quite a few wonderful interesting models to collaborate with and created some fantastic unique, and award winning, art photography. So I don't regret for a minute being a part of this site, even though I've never made a dime from it.

I do know a few models who've gotten a few paid gigs from MM. Not a lot, but a few.

Dec 16 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yep

Dec 16 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Farzan Athari wrote:

There's a thing called the "Castings" forum on here. You will find your answer there.

Dec 16 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Paid and published...

Dec 16 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

Real jobs?

Are you asking if people are making high level photographs with the people they met on MM?

Or are you asking if people are getting pay checks that last longer than the drive home?

People come here for different reasons so their idea of a real job can vary.

Dec 16 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I have been booked by 6 models on Model Mayhem for portfolio work....3 of them showed and paid. Between those 3 paid gigs and the many people I have met on this site......this site rocks! I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Dec 16 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rolando Gomez

San Antonio, Texas, US

While I'm new here, my primary make-up artist, Sally Kempton, who has been here for a while has recruited talent for me off here many times. I've had models make over $1,000 working two days for me though things vary for what I do and some models make more, some less, I can say Sally's done a wonderful job recruiting talent here for me along with the other photographer she works for, Ralph Haseltine, also on here.

Just my thoughts as I signed up only here as it's another great resource for talent, though like all model/photog sites, you have to "skim" through a lot of talent I'd not use.  That even happens with land-based agencies and comp cards, you have to find the right talent for the situation.  Wishing everyone a Happy Holidays, rg sends!

(Model: April 2006 Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough, please vote for her for Playmate of the Year!  Camera: Olympus E-Volt, E-500 (I also use the Lecia R-9 w/Digital back), 100mm at F/8, ISO 100, white-balance 6000K, Location Philadelphia Oct. 2006)

https://www.glamour1.com/private/holley/holley777.jpg

Dec 16 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Farzan Athari wrote:

It depends on your definition of "real job" .... as opposed to a fake job?

Dec 16 06 02:54 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i do.

its also 'my favourite waste of time'

(song by Owen Paul - with whom i once played a muddy game of Celebrity football / soccer)

Dec 17 06 12:53 am Link

Model

Carole B

Durham, North Carolina, US

Not yet. 
...yet being the key word.

Dec 17 06 12:56 am Link

Model

Farzan Athari

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thank you so much for the answers...smile

Dec 17 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Farzan, it depends on what you're looking for.  I don't work commercially anymore, so no, I haven't gotten any assignments directly from here.  In fact I will not accept assignment work again, so that's moot.  But my work has been seen by art buyers here and they have contacted me for use of my photographs in a couple of magazines and a book.  Not much money anyway.

In your case it will be different.  You are obviously looking for commercial or fashion model assignment work, and the only real way to reliably get that kind of work is through a land-based agency in a geographic market.  Even then it's a crap shoot because of the intense competition.

-Don

Dec 17 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
But my work has been seen by art buyers here and they have contacted me for use of my photographs in a couple of magazines and a book.

other members or the massive amount of art buyers cruising mm?

--face reality

Dec 17 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

FaceReality wrote:
other members or the massive amount of art buyers cruising mm?

--face reality

Not other members, to my knowledge.  But I doubt the number is massive.  I'd expect it's more true to categorize them as a few desperate buyers that needed content right now and were looking everywhere.

-D

Dec 17 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Actually, I have gotten some pretty good jobs off of this, I joined at first because a lot of my friends were on here... and because I am a cruel, cruel person and sme of the profiles are pretty... funny. (You have ALL laughed once in a while, admit it...) But no, I have gotten some good, paid, published jobs. You just have to remember that maybe what, 1 or 2 percent of this site has people that do this for a living, 100% of the time and HAVE clients, and agencies, etc. etc.
Will a website "make" you? Of course not. The onyl thing that can "make" you is an agent with a good eye, good contacts and has a LOT of belief in you and your look.
Rachel

Dec 17 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I have hired several models off here, to me this is not a social site, its a source for business.

Dec 17 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

first off, there are plenty of full-time professionals on this site, from all modeling/photography/mua fields.

second, i have found this site to be a good source for contacts, sometimes for work, sometimes to bring projects to others.

it all depends on a person's talents and effort, just as in life.

Dec 17 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

What's a job?

Dec 17 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Paid gigs come through agencies. Your portfolio already shows some great work, I have no idea why you'd be trying to drum up paid business on a social networking site.

Yeah, what Richard said.

I do a lot of my scheduling through Model Mayhem these days, but I'm just a hobbyist amateur. :p

Dec 19 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

Is $100/hr sufficient?

Dec 19 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Jessica #41806 has found work from Mayhem...

https://mayphotography.com/Mayhem/AllerganAd.jpg

Dec 19 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Fedora El Morro wrote:
Is $100/hr sufficient?

No.

Dec 19 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Benny wrote:
i got paid and published cause of this site and i have gotten 14 people off of this site paid and published too.

Can I be your friend?

Dec 19 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Yes- Model Mayhem is a great networking site. I have not only generated great contacts, but also helped a few models get signed with agencies.

Dec 19 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

gotten real jobs, networked with great people, great experiences.

Dec 19 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Fun Stuff Photography

Fremont, California, US

Scott Aitken wrote:

Richard Tallent wrote:
I do know a few models who've gotten a few paid gigs from MM. Not a lot, but a few.

I know 9 models that have been paid here.....

Dec 19 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Depends on what your definition of "real job" is.

Dec 19 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Benny wrote:

Dec 19 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Not a freaking single paid job from MM.

If you don't enjoy picking fights and making yourself feel better by putting others down like I do then yeah, it's a waste of time.

Dec 19 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Both paid and published work. You have to put a lot of time into it to get these jobs. You have to answer emails, and read the casting. I spend normally 10 hours a day. This business is 10% photos and 90% business.

I get more work off the other modeling site. I tend to get more TFP here.

Dec 19 06 07:08 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

Samantha Grace wrote:
You have to put a lot of time into it to get these jobs. You have to answer emails, and read the casting. I spend normally 10 hours a day. This business is 10% photos and 90% business.

+1

Dec 19 06 07:10 pm Link

Model

Tachibana

Yes.

If you are working in front of the camera and getting a tear sheet or prints. You are getting a real job.  IF you are talking about money, then yes, I have also gotten paid jobs from here too.

Kli

Dec 19 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Perc Powell Studios

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I've had many paid jobs from this site as well as OMP, Model Place, and others. ... It's all in how you network an "work It".

"Real Work" requires representation from a reputable agency.

You have a good look .. best of luck.

Perc

Dec 19 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

I get paid offers a lot, also, I get e-mails for bigger jobs if I want them...this is the only site I belong to...NickiB

Dec 26 06 01:25 am Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

a photog from MM called  and offered me $200 to style hair for an 'aspiring' singer, i can make that amount + at home on one client, the nerve, needless to say I declined.

when i told he my 1/2 day rate, then she says the 'singe' would pay $300, i guess she was testing to see if i was a fool.

once she realized i'm not, then get this, she said she has a higher paid job she'll keep me in mind, yea right, how disrespectful to not offer me that job in the first place.

i loathe for my time to be wasted and disrespected, i really do

-n

Dec 26 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Hair by Nedjetti wrote:
a photog from MM called  and offered me $200 to style hair for an 'aspiring' singer, i can make that amount + at home on one client, the nerve, needless to say I declined.

when i told he my 1/2 day rate, then she says the 'singe' would pay $300, i guess she was testing to see if i was a fool.

once she realized i'm not, then get this, she said she has a higher paid job she'll keep me in mind, yea right, how disrespectful to not offer me that job in the first place.

i loathe for my time to be wasted and disrespected, i really do

You sound like a Primadonna!  There is a difference between ignorance and disrespect.  You may want to save yourself some aggrevation and look them up.

Dec 26 06 03:15 pm Link