Forums > General Industry > FHM to cease publishing U.S. edition (Thoughts?)

Photographer

AlloyOne Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

By: Matthew Flamm
Published: December 13, 2006 - 1:40 pm

Newsstand operators in Grand Central Terminal are breathing a little easier following British-based Emap 's announcement Wednesday that it would stop publishing the American edition of FHM, the laddie magazine with the sometimes too provocative covers.

In the last year, as FHM attempted to pump up its newsstand sales, it was frequently forced to put blinders on its covers in Grand Central in the wake of complaints that photos of its models were too revealing. And the attention-grabbing covers didn't help.

"With conditions in the U.S. worsening, we have decided to suspend publication to focus resources elsewhere on faster growth platforms," said Paul Keenan, chief executive of Emap Consumer Media, in a statement. The March issue of FHM will be its last.

The chief culprit in the magazine's downfall was the escalating shift in advertising dollars from print to the Web.

Like other publishers that have shuttered magazines in the last year, Emap will keep the magazine's Web site in operation. The British edition and around 30 others around the world will also continue to publish.

FHM, originally titled For Him Magazine, was a latecomer to the U.S., arriving here in 1999 on the heels of the wildly successful Dennis Publishing title Maxim. The Emap title took a more down market approach than its competitors, which made it harder for the magazine to attract advertisers.

FHM found it particularly tough going in recent years as the market cooled for beer-and-babes titles.

Single copy newsstand sales were down 7% in the six month period that ended June 30, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations. Ad pages plunged 20% through November, according to Publishers Information Bureau, and ad revenue fell 15%, to $65 million.

Dec 15 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

For all except the lead dog the view is pretty much the same.

Studio36

Dec 15 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Alex Davenport

Spokane, Missouri, US

Glad I got in before they got shut down! smile Sucks for them though- I like the magazine.

Dec 15 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

* moved to General Mayhem, this is industry-related

Dec 15 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Even less work for me. I tell you, EMAP are getting worse and worse to work for.

Dec 15 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Good riddance, IMHO.

Maybe with one fewer mainstream influence, more would-be models would be inspired by fine art and fashion than by "tease" glamour.

I'm not against tasteful glamour, but I tire of the oodles of model profiles all looking for that plastic-skin-Barbie look and the association of that look with all Internet-based modeling.

Dec 16 06 11:35 am Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Alex Davenport wrote:
Glad I got in before they got shut down! smile Sucks for them though- I like the magazine.

same here.....I just made it in the December issue.  It's kind of sad to see it go.

Dec 16 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

snsphotosns

Murrieta, California, US

That mag was a turd and EVERYONE I know with it, got it for free. They sold so few mags, it was a loss...they gave out way too many comp subs.

Dec 16 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

I'm not sure if I've even looked at one of their issues. I know I've never bought one.

Maybe I should go down to the newstand, and take a look at what I won't be missing in the future?   smile

Dec 16 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

One less magazine that GWC's can say they are testing for....lol

Dec 16 06 01:48 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm not sure why some photogs are so hateful about glam images/models/photogs/mags. 

Just because it's not your thing doesn't mean it's the worst thing that ever happened to photography.  I'm not sure why everyone can't just be respectful of different forms of photography and those involved.

Dec 16 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

From what I understand of this situation, the magazine will still be published....Just not in paper form.  It will be a totally online magazine, subscriptions will be for online content.

Dec 16 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Cardillo Photography wrote:
From what I understand of this situation, the magazine will still be published....Just not in paper form.  It will be a totally online magazine, subscriptions will be for online content.

I think the UK will still have a print format, but I'm not positive.

It's just not the same as holding the mag in your hands.  There is just no comparing internet images versus glossy tangible images.  Something gets lost in cyberspace.

Dec 16 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Cat Platz wrote:
I'm not sure why some photogs are so hateful about glam images/models/photogs/mags. 

Just because it's not your thing doesn't mean it's the worst thing that ever happened to photography.  I'm not sure why everyone can't just be respectful of different forms of photography and those involved.

I think the style of photography is beautiful...but jst like music I love everything and all styles. I think FHM/Maxim style shots are hot! I wish I could shoot them as well as some of people on this site......I agree with you....people put it down because it's not there thing.....I think every style has it's place and market.

Dec 16 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Cat Platz wrote:

I think the UK will still have a print format, but I'm not positive.

It's just not the same as holding the mag in your hands.  There is just no comparing internet images versus glossy tangible images.  Something gets lost in cyberspace.

You are right....UK will still have the print form

Dec 16 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Cat Platz wrote:

I agree totally.
I like shooting all genres, and occasionally use these mags for idea concepts that I can expand from.

Dec 16 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thomas B wrote:

I think the style of photography is beautiful...but jst like music I love everything and all styles. I think FHM/Maxim style shots are hot! I wish I could shoot them as well as some of people on this site......I agree with you....people put it down because it's not there thing.....I think every style has it's place and market.

precisely!  That's exactly my though.....everyone excels and enjoys something different, and there is no reason not to be respectful of different forms of photography. 

We've all seen the threads that have photogs/models bashing glam photogs/models/mags and there is just no reason for it.  It's fine to share your opinion, but some of those posts are nothing but hateful.

Dec 16 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Cat Platz wrote:

precisely!  That's exactly my though.....everyone excels and enjoys something different, and there is no reason not to be respectful of different forms of photography. 

We've all seen the threads that have photogs/models bashing glam photogs/models/mags and there is just no reason for it.  It's fine to share your opinion, but some of those posts are nothing but hateful.

I agree but these forums will always be like that....I think people who close their minds to different styles are the ones who suffer. I want to learn something about every style there is...and I can appreciate it all.

Dec 16 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

If you read between the lines, they have been moving closer to actual nudity to be competitive but it was too racey for the grocery store shelf.   What I am wondering is if this is the end of the great experiment in American glamour.

Maxim/Stuff/FHM decided to go head-to-head with Playboy (which is big but doesn't make money) by offering a new kind of suggestive, but non-revealing glamour, AKA Maxim style.  At least for FHM, it didn't work, although Maxim still does fine.

I wonder if the American market is getting a little bit bored with Maxim style tameness.  At elast for FHM, it wasn't enough and they have moved on.

I, for one, am sorry to see them go.  I was happy to see the market tame down.

Dec 16 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ye ole double post.  No nudity required.

Dec 16 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thomas B wrote:

I agree but these forums will always be like that....I think people who close their minds to different styles are the ones who suffer. I want to learn something about every style there is...and I can appreciate it all.

well said!

Dec 16 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
If you read between the lines, they have been moving closer to actual nudity to be competitive but it was too racey for the grocery store shelf.   What I am wondering is if this is the end of the great experiment in American glamour.

Maxim/Stuff/FHM decided to go head-to-head with Playboy (which is big but doesn't make money) by offering a new kind of suggestive, but non-revealing glamour, AKA Maxim style.  At least for FHM, it didn't work, although Maxim still does fine.

I wonder if the American market is getting a little bit bored with Maxim style tameness.  At elast for FHM, it wasn't enough and they have moved on.

This glam syle is a part of American culture, and it's really a shame to see FHM go.  I hope it isn't the downfall of all glam work.

Dec 16 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I dont think that the market is getting bored, but it has been harder for stores to keep a moral standard when magazines are pushing the envelope.

When I worked in a retail Pharmacy, I remember many times emails coming from corporate to remove a magazine ( Elle, Glamour, and even Cosmo) because of a story or image that was deemed too graphic for the morality of the company.
One in particular was a story on genital herpes with images to illustrate the severity (gross, but an integral part of the article) and it was pulled from shelves.

The retail market and people in general, are afraid to push the envelope in fear of gettin sued for one thing or another.  Just my opinion.

Dec 16 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
For all except the lead dog the view is pretty much the same.

Studio36

So are you saying the same thing that I am thinking? 

Hard copy publications are difficult to sell.  More magazines and newspapers have found the need to be Internet based, with many being 100% net based!  Soon the "hard copy" magazine will go the way of film, with those who don't adjust to the shrinking market going out of business.

Dec 16 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Pooch that.  Show the boobies or don't show the boobies, but the fake tease gets ridiculous, boring, and repetitous in short order.
Tame=lame.

Dec 16 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Thomas B wrote:

haha smile that was funny

Dec 16 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Over the past years, hard copy magazines have been losing in store "stand" sales with publishers nearly giving away larger numbers of issues.  Music CD sales have dropped too!  The major music or "record" stores are going out of business while Amazon.com thrives! 

Even with adding magazines, DVD's, and other products to the racks of CD's, the great Tower Records went out of business.  It's just too easy to point and click to get your music, news and other forms of entertainment. 

People will still buy magazines, books, CD's and DVD's, etc ... but just not nearly as often. Only those who have strong Internet presence will survive.

Dec 16 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Damn, looks like I'll have to be going to Britain now...

Dec 16 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Large bookstores carry some of them from the UK, the problem is that they charge an extra 6 bucks for the tax that we impose on import items

Dec 16 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Cat Platz wrote:

I just want to clarify something. Earlier, I said that I won't miss FHM, but that's only because I never got aquainted with it in the first place. I have nothing against the glamour genre at all.

Any glamour models that want to shoot in WV, feel free to contact me anytime.  smile

Dec 16 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Thomas B wrote:

good point thomas.  on the other hand there are still numnuts out there claiming they will get you in their own startup 'magazine'...

check out this news story right here in wisconsin

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/vide … index.html

Happy Holidays !

Dec 16 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, I won't be sorry to see it go, nothing against the general format, it just wasn't as good as the competition and never worth buying.... Still, I always loved the hyper-unreal sexuality of the photos in men's magazines, so I hope this isn't the start of a trend....

Dec 16 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Cat Platz wrote:

I suppose it's like comparing slick, overproduced top 40 pop music with classical symphonies.  You can argue that there are talented, hard-working, innovative people in both areas.  But the latter is considered higher brow, perhaps because the geniuses in mainstream music need to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I think in this analogy, I'm an obscure singer-songwriter type who makes raw recordings on outdated analog equipment in my makeshift home studio, mainly for my own enjoyment and need to express myself.

Dec 16 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

Shanna

Austin, Indiana, US

they're just a knock off of maxim
and guess what, maxim kicks their ass lol

Dec 16 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Serene Death wrote:
Still, I always loved the hyper-unreal sexuality of the photos in men's magazines...

Hyper-unreal?

I guess that comparison depends on the people you hang out with.  wink

Dec 16 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Cardillo Photography wrote:
I dont think that the market is getting bored, but it has been harder for stores to keep a moral standard when magazines are pushing the envelope.

When I worked in a retail Pharmacy, I remember many times emails coming from corporate to remove a magazine ( Elle, Glamour, and even Cosmo) because of a story or image that was deemed too graphic for the morality of the company.
One in particular was a story on genital herpes with images to illustrate the severity (gross, but an integral part of the article) and it was pulled from shelves.

Very sad, very thoughtless.  What better place for a frank discussion on a health problem than a pharmacy?

Dec 16 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glen Berry wrote:

I just want to clarify something. Earlier, I said that I won't miss FHM, but that's only because I never got aquainted with it in the first place. I have nothing against the glamour genre at all.

Any glamour models that want to shoot in WV, feel free to contact me anytime.  smile

I didn't mean you in particular......there have been a few threads on this topic, and some people have left some pretty harsh responses.

Dec 16 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

I would be happy to see FHM gone

Dec 16 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Good riddance, IMHO.

Maybe with one fewer mainstream influence, more would-be models would be inspired by fine art and fashion than by "tease" glamour.

I'm not against tasteful glamour, but I tire of the oodles of model profiles all looking for that plastic-skin-Barbie look and the association of that look with all Internet-based modeling.

Highly agree
FHM, Stuff,and Maxim are all just meat magazine where the didn't show all the meat. They make women look cheap and stupid and make them look like their only good for one thing. Maxim being the best of them. Hell a lot of the times the photographers couldn't even get the White balance correct.  A model get getting a several page layout in them is something to give credit to but A FHM hometown hottie ( what a joke) gee isn't it cool that maybe a model just might get their pic download for a cell phone wall paper at tops. I have shoot several models who made the list gee and they never got anything else from that.

Dec 16 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

AlloyOne wrote:
"With conditions in the U.S. worsening, we have decided to suspend publication to focus resources elsewhere on faster growth platforms,"

I love it. There's something so harmonious about using FHM and "faster growth platform" in the same sentence.

Dec 16 06 04:39 pm Link