Forums > General Industry > apparel contract

Wardrobe Stylist

stoneclothing

Upland, California, US

does any1 know where i can find a sample apparel contract for the models to sign before a shoot.  i have had a lot of clothing get destroyed at shoots by the models
thanks

Dec 15 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I don't think you'll get many models to sign it. That seems unreasonable. Wear and tear on outfits is part of the business. Risk is part of the game. If anything, the stylist should be responsible.

Dec 15 06 11:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stoneclothing

Upland, California, US

realy i had a photographer suggest it to me

Dec 15 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I've never heard of that sort of document being used, but I could just be oblivious. If the Victoria's Secret model who wears the million dollar bra and panties gets cupcake icing on them, I don't think she has to pay to get them cleaned.

Dec 15 06 11:47 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stoneclothing

Upland, California, US

ok thanks 4 the info

Dec 15 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

An "apparel contract"?? What the hell are your models doing exactally that they are ruining the clothing? Being that it is a risk that you aquire to have product on a model I doubt there will be any way to sucker a model into paying for a ruined piece of clothing. Especially getting them to SIGN something stating so! Heh.

Dec 15 06 11:53 am Link

Model

jchadwick

Cartersville, Georgia, US

I think he is right.  The stylist always lays down the rules with me before I even try on the clothes.  It falls in your court to make your models respect the clothes.

Dec 15 06 11:54 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stoneclothing

Upland, California, US

i tell the models how to handle the clothing but they still seems to get make up and dirt all over them.  maby i should just find more responsible models.

Dec 15 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

stoneclothing wrote:
does any1 know where i can find a sample apparel contract for the models to sign before a shoot.  i have had a lot of clothing get destroyed at shoots by the models
thanks

Stoneclothing, I don't know of anything offhand, no.  Is damage/destruction, loss, and theft of your property covered by insurance?  Would loaning the use of apparel create a bailment?  I only ask this because I don't have any working professional knowledge of insurance or law.

Speaking strictly for myself:

Unless it is supposed to be treated otherwise, I treat others' property in an excellent manner - as if I paid for it and owned it myself (responsible for maintenance, repairs, replacement).  I am sorry to read that you have had experiences to the contrary.

Respectfully,
KJ

Dec 15 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

stoneclothing wrote:
i tell the models how to handle the clothing but they still seems to get make up and dirt all over them.  maby i should just find more responsible models.

Wait, are you using clothing samples for shoots and then trying to sell them retail later?

Dec 15 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

I have not heard of such a thing and would not bother with one if it did exhist. When I do wardrobe styling for shoots I am there to make sure everything fits and nothing happens to the clothes. So far, I have not had any problems with models making a mess of anything. On the most recent shoot I worked on, the photographer was sprinkling baby powder on the model and took extra care to cover the corset she had on with a towel even though he had permission to get it covered in powder as well.

My situation may be different from yours though as I typically destroy a garment after shooting it and reuse the parts to make a new sample. Are you selling the garments after shooting them as already asked or just not wanting to have them cleaned? I would think that a certain amount of dirt and makeup residue would be expected from time to time.

Dec 15 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

Ched wrote:

Wait, are you using clothing samples for shoots and then trying to sell them retail later?

Or maybe return them.

Dec 16 06 12:52 am Link