Forums > General Industry > Britain's Next Top Model

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Now, no offense to British women, some of whom are very lovely indeed. But I just watched that "British Invasion*" thing the other night and my level of impressed-ness was so slight as to escape detection by modern science. Out of the whole of Britain, THAT was the best they could do?

What's UP with that?

I mean, the quality of the American contestants hasn't always been what one would expect from a country the size of the US either, but come on. Most of them were rather dull, and the ones who weren't dull were unattractive (on a model level, that is.) Also, I never would have believed it, but some of them managed to make accents not-charming. They sounded like their jaws were wired shut and had vocabularies in the triple digits.

I must admit that when my wife asked me, "Why don't British women open their MOUTHS when they talk," I answered, "Bad teeth," which was a TOTALLY SCURRILOUS AND UNFAIR THING TO SAY.

It was funny, though.

M

*This was basically the whole first cycle of BNTM condensed to a two-hour special for American broadcast.

Dec 15 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

It seems a bit more like Fear Factor than ANTM with the crap the models have to go through like the ice shower and getting their own hair thrown at them.

Dec 15 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

StMarc wrote:
I must admit that when my wife asked me, "Why don't British women open their MOUTHS when they talk," I answered, "Bad teeth," which was a TOTALLY SCURRILOUS AND UNFAIR THING TO SAY.

It was funny, though.

The bad teeth thing is why asian women cover mouths.
English women do it so flies dont fly out.

EL

Dec 15 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

PEASE EL - not while I drinking coffee!!!
we watched it also and frankly i was surprised that they found 12 girls with good teeth... the winner will have 15 minutes then bye bye.
the "events" and tests they go through are totally laughable.............
now we need to see how your hair flows so jump out of this plane.........
thanks a lot tyra for creating this crap.... at least Janice was openingly laughable, when she sobered up I bet she laughed at her own show... and any gal that likes getting neeked that much is my kind of gal...

Dec 15 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

StMarc wrote:
Now, no offense to British women, some of whom are very lovely indeed. But I just watched that "British Invasion*" thing the other night and my level of impressed-ness was so slight as to escape detection by modern science. Out of the whole of Britain, THAT was the best they could do?

M

No of course not. But Brits have wizened up to "reality TV" to the point that they probably had to offer a free lunch and drinks to get the ones they did. Brit BB was a freak show and got worse every season... and so is BNTM divided equally between those "contestants" with no hope and those with no chance...

Studio36

Dec 15 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

PIC wrote:

EL

The only reason for a Brit girl to wear knickers is to keep her ankles warm.

-----

How to tell who is the bride at a Brit wedding? She's the one that is sitting with no knickers and her legs spread wide. Why does she do this?

To keep the flys off the cake.... of course.

https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Bride_fly.jpg

Studio36 LOL

Dec 15 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

cassiemakeup

The program is a load of bollocks... but we're not all like that! smile

Dec 15 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

PIC wrote:

EL

I disagree!!!!
lol I am Asian but my Uncle (mom's cousin) was a dentist (free dental work growing up in Manila )yay!
When I got here in the States, American dentists were quite impressed by my teeth smile 'nuff said! smile

Dec 15 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Cassita wrote:
The program is a load of bollocks... but we're not all like that! smile

I'm only down the road from you and I can vouch for both of those statements. Any real model material wouldn't even apply for it. And then there's "Make Me a Supermodel" on Ch5. The D R A M A  O F  I T  ALL! Blah!

Studio36

Dec 15 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Finearts Photography

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I thought there was something wrong with my TV. The camera work was terrible too.

We are lucky to be in the USA

They should do a ANTM Canada. From what I have seen on MM  Wow....   Eric

Dec 15 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Both shows are entertainment, not reality.  Given that, Tyra's show is much better entertainment.

Dec 15 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

MissMM

Connellsville, Pennsylvania, US

I can't believe I watched the whole thing, it was pretty awful. One of the girls was even accused of peeing the bed. Are they 5? Ew.

Dec 15 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

PIC wrote:

EL

I find that racist and offensive and I demand that you be either thrown into the brig or forced to listen to Westlife for 16 hours straight.

I work for BNTM and I'll tell you for free it's better than some of the crappity US shows I've worked on - Paradise Hotel anyone?

The difference between the BNTM girls and your average UK internet models? One of the BNTM girls is with a good agency.

PS We still rock.

Dec 15 06 09:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tiffany Warner Makeup

Riverside, California, US

I was really disappointed in the makeup artists work and the filming.  It made all of the photos look grainy.  I did like the frog and princess shoot though. 

Unfortunately, I am a reality TV junkie so I will not be able to restrain myself from watching again.

Dec 15 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

It was all shot on cheap DV and the guys had a day to post process after each shoot.

The girl that wins has gone on to do lots of stuff - I've seen here in a bunch of magazines. But she does now walk around with a dog in a bag which kinda crimps her style.

Dec 15 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

DannyBourne wrote:
I work for BNTM

Geez you sure got big balls to admit that. Almost a big as I do for admitting that I was the only stills photographer that covered Yorkshire TV's Naked Jungle production. LOL

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it...

Studio36

Dec 16 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

studio36uk wrote:

Geez you sure got big balls to admit that. Almost a big as I do for admitting that I was the only stills photographer that covered Yorkshire TV's Naked Jungle production. LOL

Studio36

Ok now on the floor in tears of laughter, damn right its a dirty job!

Vixen.

Dec 16 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

OMG I remember that. I don't mind admitting that I work for Thumbsup, I got paid several thousand pounds for each series and, more importantly, get contacts like Jonathan Phang, Karen Diamond, Eric Rodriquez, Hilary Alexander etc, etc. All very, very useful stuff.

Dec 17 06 11:28 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

is it the British dentists \ Health Service or what that started this rumour about the teeth
i want to know where it comes from!!

its true my dentists in London are from New Zealand (the best) but are the English ones supposed to be no good?
after all  - we get them free - so why the idea they have bad teeth in UK!!?!!

Dec 17 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

Larry D Rosalez

Gainesville, Florida, US

MissMM wrote:
I can't believe I watched the whole thing, it was pretty awful. One of the girls was even accused of peeing the bed. Are they 5? Ew.

I found that HILARIOUS!!!
I was watching the show and just in AWE at how...just average the girls all looked.

Dec 17 06 01:55 pm Link