Forums > General Industry > Portfolio theft

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Wow, how scary.  I was posting in another thread and saw somebody's avatar and said, "Huh, that looks familiar".  Sure enough, I took it.  And all but two pictures in this guy's portfolio.  And he's got tons of tags from models about how great "his" work is and how they want to work with him.

Some of the shots have been up there for six months - I can only imagine how many models have been sucked in and worked with this guy.  Makes me feel sick.

And I have to give kudos - I used contact a mod and before I could finish typing this, the guy's been banned.  No response back from them yet, guess they're still typing too, but man, that's service.  On dA I'd be there weeks later waiting for a response.

I have to say, I suddenly have more sympathy for models who are sure photographers are up to no good.  And I reiterate - check references!  Just because a guy has a good portfolio apparently doesn't mean as much as you might think!

Dec 15 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

San Francisco Nudes wrote:
Wow, how scary.  I was posting in another thread and saw somebody's avatar and said, "Huh, that looks familiar".  Sure enough, I took it.  And all but two pictures in this guy's portfolio.  And he's got tons of tags from models about how great "his" work is and how they want to work with him.

Some of the shots have been up there for six months - I can only imagine how many models have been sucked in and worked with this guy.  Makes me feel sick.

And I have to give kudos - I used contact a mod and before I could finish typing this, the guy's been banned.  No response back from them yet, guess they're still typing too, but man, that's service.  On dA I'd be there weeks later waiting for a response.

I have to say, I suddenly have more sympathy for models who are sure photographers are up to no good.  And I reiterate - check references!  Just because a guy has a good portfolio apparently doesn't mean as much as you might think!

Happened to me before - the mods kicked his ass right outta here.

Yeah, but it's an eerie thing to see your work on someone elses' port as if it were theirs.

Dec 15 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

00siris wrote:

Happened to me before - the mods kicked his ass right outta here.

Yeah, but it's an eerie thing to see your work on someone elses' port as if it were theirs.

Definitely eerie. Found him on another model site as well, sigh, we'll see if they're as responsive.

Dec 15 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

eep not good....

Good job at catching him and good job at having work good enough to steal...

Dec 15 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Definitely eerie. Found him on another model site as well, sigh, we'll see if they're as responsive.

reallly?

now that's very scary

Dec 15 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
eep not good....

Good job at catching him and good job at having work good enough to steal...

I've had it stolen on a smaller scale before but an entire portfolio really feels more like identity theft, or at least identity theft lite.

Dec 15 06 12:48 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've actually seen a couple of photogs on here who had stolen pictures from DA. Ironically enough they had been contacting me. So I reported them. ._.;

People do it,it's really a shame.

Dec 15 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Damn it's actually pretty chilling...I'd be freaked out for sure...horrid.

Dec 15 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Been there, done that. Mods took care of it. Life goes on.

Dec 15 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have to say, I suddenly have more sympathy for models who are sure photographers are up to no good.

Reference checks can be a happy thing.

The mods are normally very swift with such sentences...which is kinda sad when I just miss the latest saga of an imposter because their profile no longer exists. big_smile

Dec 15 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Come to think of it...I've never actually seen someone with the audacity to do it here, when the member they are impersonating is also on the same site. It's not as if it isn't just a matter of time if you're stupid enough to try it.

Dec 15 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Nihilus wrote:
Come to think of it...I've never actually seen someone with the audacity to do it here, when the member they are impersonating is also on the same site. It's not as if it isn't just a matter of time if you're stupid enough to try it.

Do not underestimate the amount of stupid on this site. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. Be thankful we have mods that care.

Dec 15 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Nihilus wrote:

Oh, audacity, you don't know the half of it.  I caught him because his avatar was shot by me and he was posting in a thread I was actively posting in!

Dec 15 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Oh, audacity, you don't know the half of it.  I caught him because his avatar was shot by me and he was posting in a thread I was actively posting in!

Maybe he accidently uploaded your pic.

Kind of like how Sammy Sosa accidently used a corked bat during a Major League Baseball game.  Totally and honest mistake!

Dec 15 06 12:06 pm Link