Forums > Newbie Forum > Trying to organize some shoots.

Photographer

Sincity sounds good

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

Hi,

I am asking for any information on how to organize some public shoots.  I would like to know if people prefer open shoots or closed shoots.  What are some things I should try to avoid when organizing a shoot.    Do I do vetting to stop creepy photographers from registering at my shoots.  Do I even tell photographers to register in since it can stop photographers from even going to the shoot.
Same with models, what can the organizer do to make the shoot better..  Do I closed the set so there isn't like thirty photographers for two models who show up.  If I closed the set, then maybe too few people show up for a shoot {photographers can be fickle}

And Go..

Apr 14 24 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I don't know what you mean by public, vs open, vs closed.

"Do I even tell photographers to register in since it can stop photographers from even going to the shoot."
Yes, do not publish the location until after the photographers have registered and paid.

"Do I do vetting to stop creepy photographers from registering at my shoots."
You will be at the shoot won't you? You will be able to enforce the rules.

Apr 14 24 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Sincity sounds good

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

Public ==  Publicly accessable, like a subway station or downtown street that's open 24/7 , parks that may not be open 24/7 but  during business hours that anyone (even if they are not a photographer) can stop and see/ distract people

Open shoot ==  shoots where any person can participate..  So if you have a dSLR, Mirrorless or in some instances a phone with camera can shoot a model.   Same with models..  If a guy/girl has a few hours to kill, they can stop in and get their photo taken..   In open shoots, the model can select what they want to wear to a shoot.  From swimwear, casual wear or formal wear.   

Closed shoot ==  shoots where you have to be invited to join...  Like a camera club is shooting four top/travelling models, so they don't want 80 guys with cameras to descend on the four models, since the model may have trouble trying to pose for each since it is a free for all.   So in closed shoot, they would say twelve photographers for the four models so everyone has time to work with the model.    Typically, the models and photographers are vetted so there isn't any creepy photographer or a model with bad behavior.

** Yes, I would be at the shoot at the front, but those creepy photographers have a knack of sneaking in. They can enter from several places in a public park, and then what..  They may say~~This is a public park/area, so I am just enjoying the park while going to your shoot even though I am not part of the club/ invitation.~~    So maybe I would have to rent the whole damn park so I have a lease agreement and can show the police my lease, and thus serve the offender with a trespass.     Then with the lease, do I have the photographers who do follow the rules pay for their portion of the lease ??

Apr 14 24 11:44 am Link