Forums > Model Colloquy > What is Your experience with MM Casting Calls?

Photographer

LightEnough

Washington, District of Columbia, US

For Models: What is your experience with posting casing calls on Mayhem? Especially for travel models who may want to line up jobs in a particular city a month or so ahead of time?  Are casting calls safe for you as a female model?  When I look at them it's mostly the photographers who post them, seldom from the models.

Mar 17 24 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am not a Model but a Photographer . However I think I may know how some Models might feel after posting a casting call

I visited LA a few years ago before Covid and posted a casting call on MM which resulted in about 225 responses

Which was quite overwhelming for me

Mar 17 24 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

LightEnough wrote:
--snip--
When I look at them it's mostly the photographers who post them, seldom from the models.

from the casting calls rules:
2. Casting calls cannot request payment of any kind, nor require that the applicants compensate the person posting the casting call or any third parties.

Typically, here at MM, photographers hire models, seldom is it models hiring photographers. Models tend to use Travel / Availability Notices, and are looking for compensation. The models tend to use Travel / Availability Notices for trade work as well unless they are seeking a very specific concept to be shot.

Mar 18 24 12:10 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree that models use the Travel/Availability section to assist in finding assignments away from home.

When travelling with my family I generally try to arrange for several sessions along the way, or at my eventual destination because this gives me the opportunity to pose for new artists and photographers that I would not otherwise be able to connect with. In addition to the possibility of posting a Travel/Availability notice, models also have the option of searching for photographers and artists in areas they will be travelling to and messaging them directly.

Mar 18 24 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Note!

MatureModelMM wrote:
In addition to the possibility of posting a Travel/Availability notice, models also have the option of searching for photographers and artists in areas they will be travelling to and messaging them directly.

Note that doing this excessively - especially to photographers who state on their profile that they do not want to hear from traveling models - is considered spam by MM's rules, and complaints will eventually lead to action being taken.  Yes, we get those complaints frequently.   A few PMs to members in an area you're going to is fine, but carpet-bombing PMs to members in that area is a no-no.  Mass dissemination of your travel plans and desire to work is precisely what the travel notices are for.

Mar 18 24 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Personally, I welcome travel models to ping me.  Sometimes I have something to book, other times I have to just say, "sorry, no"...of course other photographers may feel different and you probably should look at someones profile rather than pinging every one who claims to be a photographer in a given market,,,but, I'm cool with it, anyways.

Mar 19 24 10:07 pm Link