Forums > Photography Talk > How do Remote Shoots work?

Photographer

MatthewGuy

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Hi there.

I have only just recently heard about remote shooting, to find out it came to the fore front during the pandemic lock downs.

How do they actively work? I mean, above and beyond organising one?

Thank you very much.

Mar 15 24 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's the same thing as Camming (which more or less isn't allowed on MM) but with supposedly better equipment (which is allowed on MM).
(I know a few people are gonna give me shit over this description, but to many of us it's accurate).

Mar 16 24 10:58 am Link

Photographer

MatthewGuy

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
It's the same thing as Camming (which more or less isn't allowed on MM) but with supposedly better equipment (which is allowed on MM).
(I know a few people are gonna give me shit over this description, but to many of us it's accurate).

So, a shoot done over Zoom or Skype?

My mind is struggling to work out how to set up on the technical level - like figuring out lighting, angles, camera settings etc.

Mar 16 24 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The basic idea is that the "photographers" direct the models to photograph themselves, or they direct other people to photograph them via an internet video link and the resulting images and/or video are then sent to them. I've never tried this and it doesn't appeal to me very much. You would probably spend most of the time just trying to get them to understand how you wanted the lighting.

Mar 17 24 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

A bit more than camming or zoom meetings.

With remote shooting, the photographer is in control of the camera settings via software/app. The model will set up the camera and lighting. The photographer can direct the angles for the model to move the equipment or props. But the photographer decides when to snap the shutter, and makes exposure adjustments as desired. At the end of the session, the high res image files can be transferred to the photographer for edits or whatnot.

Some photographers love this, as they can work with some models halfway around the world whom they might never had a chance to work with together in a studio or on location.

Mar 18 24 12:37 am Link

Photographer

MatthewGuy

JSouthworth wrote:
The basic idea is that the "photographers" direct the models to photograph themselves, or they direct other people to photograph them via an internet video link and the resulting images and/or video are then sent to them. I've never tried this and it doesn't appeal to me very much. You would probably spend most of the time just trying to get them to understand how you wanted the lighting.

It seems that one either really needs to know what they are doing, know the person they're working (so saves any communications issues) or really need to know about the equipment being used.

Mar 18 24 12:58 am Link

Photographer

MatthewGuy

Eric212Grapher wrote:

A bit more than camming or zoom meetings.

With remote shooting, the photographer is in control of the camera settings via software/app. The model will set up the camera and lighting. The photographer can direct the angles for the model to move the equipment or props. But the photographer decides when to snap the shutter, and makes exposure adjustments as desired. At the end of the session, the high res image files can be transferred to the photographer for edits or whatnot.

Some photographers love this, as they can work with some models halfway around the world whom they might never had a chance to work with together in a studio or on location.

The aspect of working with someone I wouldn't normally get the chance to, really does sound like a winning aspect as to why have a remote shoot.

However, given the other aspects of setting up the shoot, in lighting as well as equipment, it seems more of an problem than it's worth.

Mar 18 24 01:01 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

MatthewGuy wrote:
I have only just recently heard about remote shooting, to find out it came to the fore front during the pandemic lock downs.

How do they actively work?

Remote shoots vary from basic FaceTime/Skype/Zoom sessions to advanced shoots with full control over the camera, etc. Some models have an assistant present to assist with lighting setups too.

Here are a couple of articles by models available on MM that do remote shoots:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … f-pandemic
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/17/model- … to-shoots/

You'll sometimes see Travel and Availability Notices by models offering remote shoots on MM, some from exotic locations on their travels.

Vogue magazine used remote shoots during Covid for a lot of their content, including some of their covers.

Mar 19 24 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Keith R Smith

Manukau, Auckland, New Zealand

I've actually done a couple and it helps if the model has an assistant who is also a photographer or is very knowledgeable about setting up the equipment etc. I've had no problems with either and got some excellent images.

Now as far as I know, the camera is controlled remotely by the computer by wired  USB, so the photographer at the other end of the internet link can control all the camera settings. What I'm wondering is, has anyone managed to successfully set up an underwater remote shoot, presumably using wireless between the computer and camera.? It would solve a lot of issues of finding locations etc etc.

Mar 26 24 07:59 pm Link