Photographer

L eclat Studios Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Anyone with a phase one that has figures a way to use a Godox trigger?

Feb 22 24 10:04 am Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

Found via handy search engine:

A recent article mentions Godox and Phase One, though not in the best light, no pun intended:
https://www.diyphotography.net/global-s … otography/

Some people on "dpreview" seem to be able to use the center pin as a "dumb" trigger:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4615575

It must be fascinating to work with these leaf shutters and their super fast speeds.

Feb 22 24 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I have used a paul C buff trigger with a cord to the PC outlet on the back on a technical camera where you need the lens sync outlet for the sensor trigger.   No TTL but it will trigger a flash in proper sync. I also have used the hot shoe on both my older DF and the XF with the Buff trigger using the single large center contact in the hot shoe -  but TTL is a pain in the ass…the hot shoe is Mamiya specific for TTL so I had to get a Metz flash second hand to try that. I’ve used it a couple times but the game ain’t worth the candle.    If the Godox system supports a PC sync cable or a hot shoe mounted trigger, that’s been to most foolproof, if also basic.   The XF built in trigger, and the one in the accessory grip for the DF is Profoto specific.   I dunno if you can trigger any brand lights other than Profoto with the built in stuff.

If you must have TTL, my advice would be to start saving pennies for Profoto kit.   Let’s face it , no one shoots Phase One to save money… (A new Hasselblad is cheaper and frankly better, IMO, and works with a Nikon compatible trigger for TTL, so more options).

Feb 22 24 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

phpcat wrote:
Some people on "dpreview" seem to be able to use the center pin as a "dumb" trigger:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4615575

On the Godox XPro II trigger, go into the menu.  One of the menu setting icons looks like a hotshoe.  If you select that, then it will give you the option of setting "Legacy Hotshoe" On or Off.  If you select "Off", then the (previously dedicated) Godox XPro II trigger (for Nikon or Canon, etc), disables all of the dedicated pins that are specific to that camera brand and simply triggers via the old school standard central hotshoe firing pin.

If you set your Godox strobes for manual power levels, you can still wirelessly control the manual power levels for your strobes from the trigger, along with the ability to remotely turn off or on selected strobes, set your modeling lights, and trigger them when the camera takes a shot, etc.

The only aspects that you lose are modes that need to communicate via the special hot shoe pins (now disabled) which are dedicated for a specific camera brand.  I.E.  No TTL, TCM (TTL to manual conversion) or HSS.  But if you're in a studio type situation, the odds are that you're using your strobes in manual power level modes and you still can fire them, test them, and remotely control any of strobes manual power levels, and modeling lights, etc.

I haven't tested this with Phase One, but if it has a standard hotshoe fit with a standard central firing pin, then you should be fine.

---

A couple of Godox trigger model compatibility notes:

First, I am not sure what happens if you specifically have a Sony version of the Godox XPro II trigger.  I'm thinking of any possible issues relating to standard hotshoe compatibility.  But the Godox Nikon and Canon versions, or any other with a standard hotshoe configuration (but with extra pins for the specific camera brand) should be fine.

Second, some (all?) of the older Godox trigger models do NOT have this "Legacy Hotshoe" menu option, but the Godox XPro II triggers do have that option.  There were also some special Adorama Flashpoint triggers (designed for Godox compatibility) that were specially made for generic hotshoes, and work as I've described (as if they are permanently in a "Legacy Hotshoe" mode).  See Adorama's "Flashpoint R2 Single Pin Transceiver" model if you want to purchase one of those "generic hotshoe" triggers.

Third, I haven't tested the Godox Nano yet (it starts shipping in March), so it's not clear whether that new compact model includes a "Legacy Hotshoe" mode (the Nano definitely has fewer features than the XPro II).  But the XPro II triggers (Canon / Nikon, and presumably some others), definitely do have that needed "Legacy Hotshoe" mode.

Feb 23 24 08:43 am Link