Forums > Photography Talk > What are your thoughts about...

Photographer

Feb13 Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Models only want to shoot TFP photos. All while gaining a profit and a following off of your [the photographer] grind and hours of editing. That low key turned me off of wanting to shoot people.

Feb 04 24 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I think in over 20 years of shooting models, I have only turned down a TF shoot once, and that was for a male model I had previously shot with. Our personalities didn't mesh well.

Every other shoot either produced images I was happy to use in my portfolio or gave me an opportunity to learn something about lighting, posing or working with people.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth  lol

Feb 04 24 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

I welcome it. If a model waives their fee in exchange for equal access to sale the pics that's fine by me.
I've done it a couple time. You do your part, I do mine and may the both of us find success marketing the pics.

Feb 04 24 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Feb13 Studios

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
I welcome it. If a model waives their fee in exchange for equal access to sale the pics that's fine by me.
I've done it a couple time. You do your part, I do mine and may the both of us find success marketing the pics.

That's a fair way of going about it.

Feb 04 24 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Each TFP offer is different. We have choices and we can negotiate. While I like getting paid, more often than not, I pay models to produce content that will make me money.  I'm also open to TFP depending on circumstances. Never say never!

Feb 04 24 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Doesn't bother me. I hope they become zillionaires

Feb 04 24 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I worked as a model for a dozen years, I was repped by Elite in Chicago and worked in Japan, I know the business and how it works. When I started shooting, I tested models for free till I had a decent book. After that, I charged a low rate to cover expenses and make a little. Once I built a relationship with a couple Agencies, I charged the standard rate in the market and only tested models when an Agency asked or I had a specific project in mind. If you're a new or unwrapped model, you pay or find a new photographer that will give it away. A model uses images to get booked, make money and I'm not going to give it away so that they will be the one profiting off images.

Feb 05 24 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Feb13 Studios wrote:
Models only want to shoot TFP photos. All while gaining a profit and a following off of your [the photographer] grind and hours of editing. That low key turned me off of wanting to shoot people.

I can't remember seeing a photographer with a bigger following than the models that they shoot. Why would it bother you that they gain followers from displaying photos. The followers are following the model, not the photo.

Feb 05 24 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Feb13 Studios wrote:

manage expectations. consider shooting with such friendly people only because you enjoy the process and that kind of time together. consider dictating what will occur with the photos, how many will be edited or how many will represent you. be honest with yourself about whether it matters which work is attributed to you.

but if you think they will value your time, you need another thing to do

consider creating a trade where you are deriving value out of paying talented models. better talent, more established, expectations aligned, no obligation to do anything with the photos for them.

but unless you have a client that pairs you with subjects, nobody is going to be paying for this and you need to find another thing to do if that's your expectation

Feb 06 24 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I wish I could find the models looking to shoot TF that I used to.   Whether a model is TF or paid, it comes down to whether the cost and effort is worth it or not. That also includes if a model’s look suits me and how convenient the scheduling is.   If I don’t think the negatives justify what I’ll get out of the shoot, then I simply pass.

Feb 06 24 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Where are you still finding models to do TF, they all seem to want compensation now, no matter how little experience they have.

Feb 07 24 04:52 am Link