Forums > Photography Talk > Ai 'mega filters'...

Photographer

PR Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

'Back in the day' when I did a ton of shoots - I would always try to limit the amount of filters I was using - to keep the results 'realistic'

If I 'bumped up' the visuals, then I was be aiming to make the model 'look as good as they might after a great holiday' etc

Recently online, I seem to see gallery of the gallery where someone seems to have applied unbelievably powerful artificial intelligence filters to create 'super real' people

Am I the only one noticing this?  Is  this a big trend?  Are we about to pass the lines of reality - to have them forever in the rear view mirror?

Jan 28 24 11:40 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

PR Zone wrote:
Recently online, I seem to see gallery of the gallery where someone seems to have applied unbelievably powerful artificial intelligence filters to create 'super real' people

That's certainly possible as going too far with some of the current tools will do that.

But another possibility is that the "model" being shown is entirely AI generated.  Many of those AI model images leave you with that exact same feeling that you describe.  Or even more so...

[EDIT] Oops, I completely forgot the AI headshot generators, etc.  AI generated headshots of you, based on a dozen(?) actual basic photos of you that you upload to the AI...

Jan 28 24 11:52 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The other side of this whole thing, of course, is one of the "counter trends".  I'm thinking of the ones that are going in the opposite direction with the "authentic" trend.  Although, as usual, some of companies are going to painful lengths to get "just a perfect" so-called "Authentic" "casual snapshot" (with art directors, etc).  Hah!

A subset of that, might be another (back yet again) trend, the one with high contrast and hard flash shadows (the retro "flash snapshot" look).  Think Godox Lux Senior Retro flash "on camera / hard flash" look...

Jan 28 24 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

PR Zone wrote:
Am I the only one noticing this?  Is  this a big trend?  Are we about to pass the lines of reality - to have them forever in the rear view mirror?

I think yes, and no.
I suspect the quality and believability of AI images at this point varies greatly depending on the software used and the skill of the software operator.

I've been playing with AI tools to enhance the quality and size of existing images,
and it seems without fail the AI program I am using really botches something up when processing these images.

It can be a small as obvious over sharpening,
but sometimes it is a glaring misdraw of the model so that she has a new club foot,
or hanging tree branches out in the sky with no connection to the earth.

Jan 29 24 05:24 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

There seem to be lots of pictures of nude models with digitally enlarged breasts and butts around at the moment. Realistic they are not.

Jan 29 24 07:25 am Link