Forums > Photography Talk > Using TikToc to promote your photography?

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Hi, just curious about the usefulness of TikTok to promote yourself.  I am particularly interested in clients for actor headshots and commercial print.

Thanks for your thoughts

Mark

Jan 23 24 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

You certainly are in an ideal location for the aforementioned genres Mark.
Additionally you have one of the more impressive Portfolios I've seen here on MM.

As for your query? For clientele focused on actor headshots and commercial print...
Perhaps IG? My Instagram presence has generated the healthiest revenue stream for my endeavors.
Especially in the quality of talent I've collaborated with recently...
Albeit please keep in mind you'll likely be pretty much invisible on IG until you have at least 500 plus IG followers.
This has been my experience in the Washington DC market, though others may have different results with same.

Hope this helps, or is at least food for thought.
Wishing you all the best on your photographic journey Mark.

Jan 23 24 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
You certainly are in an ideal location for the aforementioned genres Mark.
Additionally you have one of the more impressive Portfolios I've seen here on MM.

As for your query? For clientele focused on actor headshots and commercial print...
Perhaps IG? My Instagram presence has generated the healthiest revenue stream for my endeavors.
Especially in the quality of talent I've collaborated with recently...
Albeit please keep in mind you'll likely be pretty much invisible on IG until you have at least 500 plus IG followers.
This has been my experience in the Washington DC market, though others may have different results with same.

Hope this helps, or is at least food for thought.
Wishing you all the best on your photographic journey Mark.

Jan 24 24 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thank you Thomas for your reply and the compliment.

I am ok on Instagram

Just curious abt Tik which I imagine is for some demographics and products , is the new #1 site.

What are your thoughts abt it?

Jan 24 24 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I'm getting on Tik Tok for the very first time.  I'll come back here and let you know how it goes. 
For sure you'll get a younger demographic is all I know.

Jan 24 24 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Mark wrote:
I am particularly interested in clients for actor headshots and commercial print.

Mark

My impression is that Tic Toc is pretty much strictly short videos,
So while there may be some marketing cross over.... its users may not perceive a value in still images.

but it is probably worth looking into.

Jan 25 24 05:34 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

TicToc. Who needs it?

Jan 25 24 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I post pic videos but I do it more as a reward to myself and the people I work with and bounce them into IG where more people can see them as the TT crowd is still limited. I have not yet had a client contact me from TT with true intent of working together. I am probably still about 80/20 FB and IG. I just like doing it as a way to image dump where I am more reserved on a one at a time format.

https://www.tiktok.com/@randypoe1

Jan 25 24 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Chris Macan wrote:

So while there may be some marketing cross over.... its users may not perceive a value in still images.

but it is probably worth looking into.

I can make a video using many still images and/or incorporate video on set...IF that can be done on TikTok

thanks for writing

Jan 26 24 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You might try promoting / advertising yourself on these publication sites that cater directly to actors.
Actors and actresses are your paying audience, not teenage girls on tictok that have no money.

Here are a couple of sources that might get you going in the right direction . . .

https://www.actorsequity.org/news/EquityNews/

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … mp;dpr=2.4

Go where the talent goes . . . they are the ones that need current photos all the time

Jan 26 24 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Try www.Starnow.com
They are in Australia, England and some cities in the US
They are geared to actors and models

Jan 27 24 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Purnell

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I really want to post my content and "Reels" or BTS shoot videos on Tik Tok but I have kids that follow my account and I have been a big following. I wish Tik Tok had a "Close Friends" feature like Instagram has so only certain people can see your content. I have a BTS video I uploaded to Tik Tok last night that is safe to post. Model was in fitness attire but a lot of the stuff I shoot is more Boudior and Lingerie. My followers would love the content but its the kids that don't need to be seeing that stuff! LOL!

Feb 01 24 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Purnell

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Mark wrote:

Chris Macan wrote:

Tik Tok is actually changing. I can now upload a 10 minute video if I wanted too. Not sure who is going to watch long form videos on Tik Tok but they want to compete with Youtube. Tik Tok is also pushing still photo videos. They claim those get more views than actual videos.

Feb 01 24 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

sorry I am at a loss to describe making ..lets say A 15 SECOND  SLIDE SHOW

Feb 10 24 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I knew nothing about Tik Tok until my ( then ) 18 year old nephew became an Influencer on that Platform . He makes Custom made Jewelry ( like coin rings , etc): that appeal to young people. He has 2.5 M followers and one of his videos racked up about 48 M views. He has a friend who is also an Influencer with even more followers . The friend basically does adolescent stunts that he videos ( like sleeping on a bed of nails , and building an igloo in the mountains and sleeping in it overnight )

So my Impreesions of Tik Tok are that it is geared to an adolescent / post adolescent market and the content has grab and hold the viewers attention . My Nephew makes short fast well edited videos for both his own jewelry ( he often shows how the jewelry is made ) and as well videos his friends stunts

Feb 10 24 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Numerous governments have banned their employees from using TikTok for work purposes because of security concerns related to China's ownership of the site;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_TikTok

Feb 12 24 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Numerous governments have banned their employees from using TikTok for work purposes because of security concerns related to China's ownership of the site;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_TikTok

Because all the others are so safe?
I remember when the news was blaming every missing teen girl in Colorado on Model Mayhem. Turned out it had nothing to do with it but they never went out with that story.

Feb 13 24 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

The ENnn Esssssss Aaaayy hates the competition.

Feb 14 24 07:35 pm Link