Forums > Model Colloquy > Follower count? (IG ect)

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

For the models..does it matter if someone has 500 followers or 27,000? It seems to be you are pretty much invisible to everyone unless you got at least 10k. The grind is wearing me down constantly trying to get someones attention just to ask if they will shoot or not. It wasn't this hard before 2020.

Jan 09 24 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

“ You need to have 10k followers to get anyone’s attention “

My Influencer Nephew said to me at Christmas ( he has 2.5 M followers on Tik Tok )

Personally I have struggled to reach a thousand followers on IG in 5 years  ….So I am not the sort of person to get much attention when I cold contact a potential model . But as IG seems sort of essential these days - at least I can use it to show off my work when I meet a model in the real world

Jan 09 24 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I used to have 8K which was fairly decent, then my account was hijacked and back to zero. It seems to me its more important with WHO you shoot, than whatever skill level your at. IG is like dating now, if you dont have the cache (Followers not $$) then the 'hot models' will just totally ignore you lol

Jan 09 24 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I'm hearing the same from the model's side. If they don't have a ton of followers, forget about an agency.

Jan 10 24 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Depending on your goals it is either important or meaningless.

If looking for work it is better to have 100 that might work with you than 10000 that dont

If looking for sponsors,business relationships etc the more the better.

Of course the two are not incompatible goals

Jan 10 24 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

G Reese wrote:
I'm hearing the same from the model's side. If they don't have a ton of followers, forget about an agency.

No where I live strangely  Agency Models here are lucky enough o have 10 k followers .

However I will note that Coco Rocha was from here ( about 15 yrs ago ) and she was the original Fashion Model Queen of Social Media with over 1 m followers.

Jan 10 24 09:43 am Link