Forums > Photography Talk > Best tripod features and enhancements.

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Which locking mechanisms are best? 1/4 turn rotation types or latch type locks? Which are more reliable, and safe from failure?

What tripod features are a must?

If a person saves money by getting an aluminum tripod, can they wrap the legs with anything else to better absorb vibrations?

Jan 08 24 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

For me rotation compression locks are best. I haven't had a flip type lock in many years but when I did they were not dependable. They would slip.

I wouldn't think there would be any noticeable difference of vibration between aluminum or carbon fiber, at least not enough to be a problem for long exposures.

I also require a tripod capable of getting really close to the ground or floor.

Jan 08 24 10:41 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Any leg locking mechanism works for me, as long as it doesn't seize-up nor break easily.  In the past couple of decades, a feature appeared of having a single leg lock near the top of the tripod, and that configuration is certainly convenient.

Ball heads are not as easy/quick to level the frame as heads with separate tilting stages and lock handles for each stage.

I find that hanging weights from the center/center-column is generally more stable and easier to reposition than bagging/weighting the legs.  It's more difficult to bag the legs without the bag touching the ground -- which defeats the purpose of adding weight.

Jan 08 24 11:23 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

A gimbal head like this, in combination with a heavy duty ball head is versatile, allowing instant switching from horizontal to vertical format;

https://www.amazon.com/Gimbal-Tripod-Ca … op?ie=UTF8

The only problem is that it adds to the minimum height of the camera on the tripod, you may not be able to get it as low as you want.

Jan 09 24 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

The Other Place wrote:
Any leg locking mechanism works for me, as long as it doesn't seize-up nor break easily.  In the past couple of decades, a feature appeared of having a single leg lock near the top of the tripod, and that configuration is certainly convenient.

Ball heads are not as easy/quick to level the frame as heads with separate tilting stages and lock handles for each stage.

I find that hanging weights from the center/center-column is generally more stable and easier to reposition than bagging/weighting the legs.  It's more difficult to bag the legs without the bag touching the ground -- which defeats the purpose of adding weight.

Yeah, the ball heads do seem less easy to control. I also would prefer left/right and forward/backwards as separate ranges.

Jan 10 24 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Perhaps a rubber wrap of some kind around tripod legs can absorb vibration? The price difference between carbon fiber and aluminum is significant enough to want to find a way to increase the benefit of the former at modest additional cost?

Jan 10 24 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Are you looking for a tripod for studio or outdoor use? The requirements are different. Weight is an advantage in a studio tripod, when it enhances stability. Lightweight carbon fibre ones are easier to carry over a distance. Working height is another important criterion.

Jan 11 24 01:57 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I mainly shoot Food images and love my lighter tripod which can easily switch to overhead orientation. I also bought a Manfrotto arm that can be mounted on my heavier tripod to do the same.

Jan 11 24 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Are you looking for a tripod for studio or outdoor use? The requirements are different. Weight is an advantage in a studio tripod, when it enhances stability. Lightweight carbon fibre ones are easier to carry over a distance. Working height is another important criterion.

Mostly outdoor use. I don't mind it being heavier.

Jan 13 24 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
Mostly outdoor use. I don't mind it being heavier.

In that case I can recommend the Benbo 1 and 2 tripods, these are designed with waterproof legs so that you can set them up in the middle of a stream if you want. At 3.4 kg, easily the most rugged I've ever seen and very versatile, it will take any tripod head with 1/4 or 3/8 thread. A ball head is standard.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/camer … 996/review

Jan 15 24 04:02 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

Decades of tripod use have me settled into a preferred configuration: a carbon fiber tripod with the twist-to-tighten ring locks on the legs (flip lock legs are prone to picking up stuff that jams them when doing a lot of landscape or outdoor photography); a tripod head with independent twist-handle type adjustments for the three planes of movement (so you can lock in the level for each plane of orientation without affecting the others — ball heads are a pain in that everything has to be done at once, in conjunction with everything else); an arca-swiss type mount for the camera (plates are easy to source and can be fitted to other attachments that might go between the tripod head and the camera); and an L-bracket that is permanently mounted on the camera so I can easily switch from landscape to portrait modes without changing the leveling of the tripod head.

So I just looked at your portfolio (beautiful photos, by the way!) and the tripod you show there is one made for video: extremely stable but heavy and not at all optimal for still photography! You would do yourself an immense favor by investing in a good photography tripod and a good tripod head. I've gone through a half dozen (at least) tripod heads before getting to the one I use now, which I love; but I've had the carbon fiber tripod I use (a Slik Pro 814 CF) for around 20 years and, although it was a very expensive item to purchase, it has lasted through the end of my time spent shooting 35mm film on an Olympus OM-4 T to my first digital camera (a Nikon D700) and its upgrade replacement (a Nikon D850), easily moving from the featherweight Olympus with its titanium body to the solid brick that is the D850. My tripod head is a Sirui FD-01, and the L-bracket on my D850 is from Really Right Stuff.

Jan 15 24 07:22 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

For studio use, and also for outdoor use in some weather conditions, weight is an advantage because it adds to stability. I have Bilora tripods for indoors, but not this one;

https://www.kamera-fotohaus.de/produkte … rofilo-936

Camera stands are the ultimate in stability for studio use;

https://mpex.com/manfrotto-mini-salon-1 … lance.html

Jan 15 24 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Any suggestions for tripods with smaller feet that might tend to lose traction and slip a bit? Perhaps there are booties that can be added to help?

Jan 15 24 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Some like twist locks and some prefer levers, I think it was Manfrotto
that gives you a choice. Anyway, features I like is a level and degree
marks panorama stitching.

Jan 16 24 03:47 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I have never liked using the pan handle for video, I don't think its as smooth as using your hands. I take the handle off and just grab the fluid head with both hands to do tilts and pans, it just feels smoother to me.

Jan 16 24 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Any suggestions for tripods with smaller feet that might tend to lose traction and slip a bit? Perhaps there are booties that can be added to help?

I like Gitzo carbon fiber legs and a ball head.A good ball head has tension adjustments so it is not at all hard to position the camera as you want it. A locking lever is faster and easier than a knob.  The twist lock works as you can set it up very quickly and I have never (in 40plus years) had one jam. Gitzo allows you to change the feet from what you would want in a studio to putting on spike what you can jam in the ground. easy to change. Also it is not at all difficult to take apart the legs for cleaning in the event you get sand or dirt in the, If carbon fiber is a bit pricy, they come in aluminum as well. Both are tough and will last for ages. I am of the opinion that buy once and that might mean a higher initial investment but a you won't be getting several replacements along the way. I have a tripod I bought in 1967 that works perfectly today.
A couple of other tripods that are well worth looking ate are>:Sirui (less expensive than Gitzo), Really Right Stuff makes excellent gear, leg and ball heads, Peak Design is good.
One thing you must consider is the maximum weight your camera and lens weighs - your tripod and head must be able to support it and more. It is a sad thing to see a camera crash to the ground or blow over!  It happens.

Jan 16 24 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

If a person saves money by getting an aluminum tripod, can they wrap the legs with anything else to better absorb vibrations?

PS The vibrations come up the legs, outside wraps wouldn't really help. The most vibration free are the wood ones, but they cost a fortune and weigh a ton. Ansel Adams used only wood. He also was very rich!

Jan 16 24 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:

PS The vibrations come up the legs, outside wraps wouldn't really help. The most vibration free are the wood ones, but they cost a fortune and weigh a ton. Ansel Adams used only wood. He also was very rich!

Would wooden feet added to aluminum tripod absorb most of the vibrations?

Jan 16 24 09:06 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Weldphoto wrote:

I didn't even realize wooden ones were a thing until I read this and then looked them up. They do look heavy.

Jan 16 24 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Weldphoto wrote:
I like Gitzo carbon fiber legs and a ball head.A good ball head has tension adjustments so it is not at all hard to position the camera as you want it. A locking lever is faster and easier than a knob.  The twist lock works as you can set it up very quickly and I have never (in 40plus years) had one jam. Gitzo allows you to change the feet from what you would want in a studio to putting on spike what you can jam in the ground. easy to change. Also it is not at all difficult to take apart the legs for cleaning in the event you get sand or dirt in the, If carbon fiber is a bit pricy, they come in aluminum as well. Both are tough and will last for ages. I am of the opinion that buy once and that might mean a higher initial investment but a you won't be getting several replacements along the way. I have a tripod I bought in 1967 that works perfectly today.
A couple of other tripods that are well worth looking ate are>:Sirui (less expensive than Gitzo), Really Right Stuff makes excellent gear, leg and ball heads, Peak Design is good.
One thing you must consider is the maximum weight your camera and lens weighs - your tripod and head must be able to support it and more. It is a sad thing to see a camera crash to the ground or blow over!  It happens.

Twist locks, as on Gitzo tripods are great as long as you don't get sand in them, which could be an issue if you do a lot of work on beaches. Tubular legs are the strongest and most vibration resistant. Gitzo tripods are very well made and come in all sizes and materials, but I would still recommend the Benbo for the beach or wet conditions.

Ball heads are quicker to adjust than pan and tilt heads, which can helpful in model photography. A gimbal head in combination with a heavy duty ball head can work quite well if the components are well matched.

In addition to carbon fibre and aluminium, tripods and heads are available in titanium;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/co … pod-system

Basalt fibre is also used;

http://www.photographyreview.com/produc … ripod.html

Jan 17 24 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

One additional thing I meant to mention is the plates for the head you choose.
Arca-Swiss compatible heads can be so expensive. I have an inexpensive one, 
that is pretty good and very fast to set up, but I probably wouldn't put a 300 2.8
on it.Also have a nice Manfrotto, it has no center column, but can go real low.

Jan 17 24 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Motordrive Photography wrote:
One additional thing I meant to mention is the plates for the head you choose.
Arca-Swiss compatible heads can be so expensive. I have an inexpensive one, 
that is pretty good and very fast to set up, but I probably wouldn't put a 300 2.8
on it.Also have a nice Manfrotto, it has no center column, but can go real low.

Arca-Swiss compatible heads can be quite inexpensive, if you shop around;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R … p;_sacat=0

The weight capacity of ball heads varies with the construction, the Manfrotto models 108, 168 and 3026 are good in this respect, and the lever controls are also quick to use;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305057155833?h … R5jf1ZykYw

Jan 19 24 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Commercial Works Photo

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, US

If you are looking for padding for your tripod legs look no further than your local home store like Lowe's or Home Depot.  I have been using waterpipe insulation foam tubes on my tripods for over 30 years.  I buy the self-adhesive type and wrap duct tape around the top and bottom. Eventually, they get beat up, but it costs about $10.00 to make a new set.

I am currently using a Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 fitted with a Manfrotto 625 (3296) RC0 Hexagonal Quick Release Adapter Set. I have a ball head, 3 way pan head, geared head, and a gimbal head each fitted with a hex plate. This allows me to quickly switch heads as needed.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … ripod.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … gonal.html

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-2 … 1001277258

Apr 10 24 02:46 pm Link