Forums > Contests > POTD image size

Photographer

3rd Stream Photo

Cleveland, Tennessee, US

I just had several images in a row that wouldn’t upload to the contest queue because the system thinks they’re too big. In the explanation it says the images have to be less than 16kb. Can that be right? The images I’m trying to load are 2:3 and sized to 2048 on the long side, most of them being around 900kb. Am I just looking at this wrong?

Dec 15 23 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Ojai, California, US

I've had this happen to me too, but now I can't remember what the solution was.  Let me ask around a bit and will let you know!

In the meantime, have you tried an alternative way to submit (such as using a URL instead of direct upload)?

Dec 15 23 01:02 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

In the explanation it says the images have to be less than 16kb. Can that be right?

No, that is a typo. It should say images must be at least 16kb.

There are two things to consider about image size. Filesize and pixel dimension.  Try resizing the images to no more than 800 pixels wide and upload that. Anything wider than 800 pixels will be resized during upload and that is not ideal.

Or, you could try Erin's suggestion and upload the image to your MM portfolio and then submit with the url.

Dec 15 23 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

San Diego, California, US

Also, I first reduce my images from 16-bit to 8-bit, the size to appropriate pixel dimensions.  Using 8-bit images seems to help, at least for my images.

Dec 16 23 09:03 am Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

Also, I first reduce my images from 16-bit to 8-bit, the size to appropriate pixel dimensions.  Using 8-bit images seems to help, at least for my images.

Photographer

David A Reichel