Forums > Photography Talk > cloud storage

Photographer

Gunars

Vilnius, Vilniaus, Lithuania

I find myself in need of a new cloud storage platform as Google Drive has unexpectedly lost  a lot of data. Can you please provide recommendations or share what cloud storage platforms you are currently using? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 30 23 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

zavadskis

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

I conducted thorough research to find the ideal cloud storage solution with best price/serviss performace. For the past five years, I've been using Files.fm to back up my everyday photos and even for selling videos and photos. What particularly impressed me was their competitive pricing, which I believe is the best in the market. The platform has proven to be reliable and user-friendly throughout my usage. You can check my profile https://files.fm/zavadskis

Nov 30 23 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

What works best is gonna depend on what and how you are using the “Cloud “ (aka “Someone else’s computer that you are probably paying too much for”)

Are you looking for something that is simply an on-line backup/archiving resource or are you planning on sharing from it and so need a portal/front end?  Or are you also working “In the cloud” with your editing workflow, possible collaborating with other creatives, etc?

I administrate one of the first use cases for my day job. We currently use a Seagate LyveCloud and it’s got a feature set just right for that use case.  No front end and you have to know how to wield the tools to store there - minimum would be a file browser like Cyberduck, but it’s got good, fine grained security and if you set up the buckets properly with immutability and journalling, extensive testing has demonstrated that not only will you not accidentally lose data, you may not even be able to delete data that you no longer have need to retain.  Pricing is competitive once you factor there is not a charge for data egress in ingest, just a flat $$/TB/Mo.  Wasabi is another option in this realm- LyveCloud is cheaper and “Good enough” for that dataset.

For the studio, I use ShootProof, which I don’t really think of as “Cloud Storage” so much as an online gallery and studio management system.  It’s not the cheapest, but it is integrated with all the fulfillment labs I use, offers very fine grained controls and lots of reporting on activity in the various galleries, a integrated e-mail and contract management system that provides e-signing capability, and about everything needed other than studio management/scheduling/bookeeping. I haven’t bothered to dig into it but I am sure they are built on top of one of the big three cloud platforms (AWS, Google, Microsoft Azure) - which is fine, although I’m probably paying a multiple of what the backend infrastructure would cost.

Adobe has a service for the third use case.  Its target market is obviously large creative houses who can negotiate a certain level of discount based on their volume. The pitch is “Global collaboration “, so long as all of your creative partners also live within the Adobe ecosystem. 

I don’t store *backups* in the cloud at all, either for the studio or for the day job. Cost analysis has shown that persistent datasets are much less expensive to store locally, tipping point is 14 months of retention, even if tiering off to something like AWS Glacier…But the “Cloud” is a great resource for active work, sharing and collaboration.

Dec 01 23 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I don't know where I would be without Drop Box, or rather in some cases where my files would be.

Dec 01 23 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Adobe has cloud storage included in subscription fee. I don't know how much
data you need to store, but if you have a website, some files can be kept there
in unused space you're already paying for.

Dec 01 23 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Purnell

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I use Google Drive now for some stuff I have. How did they lose your data? If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can back up your images to Amazon Photos in the cloud. Unlimited storage too.

Feb 02 24 03:41 am Link