Forums > Photography Talk > To Photographers who pay for models.

Photographer

Ben McPhee

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

For those of you who pay out of your own pocket for models (particularly fashion with highly specific clothing or mages with some level of nudity like editorial beauty or art nude):

1. I’m just curious if you actually have a way to monetise those images and videos to at least partly cover costs? (Prints, books, content for websites, blog/mag submissions, your own subscription site, or something like onlyfans/patreon)?

2. If not, how are you afford/justifying the costs? Are you paying simply in the interest of making the best imagery possible despite the expense? Is it for “advertising” or “clout” on socials and/or via your website/folio (with possible work leads from that)? Or something else?

Feel free to elaborate if you have any other outlets to cover costs . smile

Nov 17 23 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

When I was shooting models, 2007 to 2017, I would budget to hire one or two models a month. I was also buying wardrobe and set accessories. I just worked a regular job as a Jaguar tech for not a lot of money.

I never sold any images or content. No interest in doing that, it's too much like work and I didn't want to shoot what someone else wanted.

I justify spending the money I earned by the pleasure I received from creating what in my mind was art. It was my hobby. I used to laugh at photographers who would brag about spending thousands on cameras and lenses but would balk at spending a few hundred on a great model and a fabulous MU artist.

Some people spend thousands on Golf equipment, club membership and travel...it's their hobby
Others have a nice Boat or a classic car that takes a large investment of time and money

No one needs to justify how they choose to spend their money, except to themselves...choices.

Nov 17 23 06:07 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Mostly, it's hobby. But I have several "hobbies". No one "hobby" pays at any given moment. They all pay at some point, to some degree. The camera often supports the others as I can shoot my own adverts. The interconnection makes it all possible.  Case in point. I cut rocks. I get a message asking for a pic showing how to use diamond polish. I keep the polish supplied for the pic. That's $15 worth of polish. The pic takes 5 minutes to produce.

Not exactly getting rich but I enjoy it. I get to rub elbows with  world class talent along the way. I suffer a lot. :-)

Nov 17 23 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
No one needs to justify how they choose to spend their money, except to themselves...choices.

Exactly!  Music and photography are passions of mine. I did shoot weddings for a profit, but then I met a guy in recent years who shoots weddings as a hobby for FREE!  He is good at it, as the couple gets more than they paid for, and he gets a free meal and the phone numbers of the single ladies.  Being a young single man in the computer industry, he can afford it.  The bridzillas I encountered spoiled it for me.  So I went back to focusing on beautiful women, fast cars and rock stars. I pay the models, get to ride or drive fast cars, and get in concerts for free. Do I make money?  Of course!  Although it's not a lot, I make a living.  It's great to work at what you love!  Doesn't even feel like work.   

My grandfather was a great photographer back in the early 1900's shooting with glassplates and a view camera. He paid American Indians to pose in his studio.  He said you don't expect to make a lot of money doing photography.  Just do it!

Nov 17 23 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Ben McPhee wrote:
If not, how are you afford/justifying the costs?

I imagine in much the same way people afford/justify the costs of everything from golf clubs to sail boats.

Nov 17 23 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

On first read, the term 'justify' didn't sit well with me. It implied that I needed to submit proof or reasoning to anyone other than myself. Maybe that is too narrow of a definition. For the question I think you are asking, I would use the term budget.

I budget the expense of shoots, not only model fee but possibly also travel, wardrobe, props etc. to get an exclusive shot. I tend to not rely on shooting a model's own wardrobe which has likely been shot a dozen or more times. Most often I use the images for magazine submission and portfolio website inclusion with the aim of it being my marketing material for future paid shoots. My budget limits me from taking on all of the shoots I would ever conceive of or schedule on a slower pace that I would with unlimited resources. Generally my budgeted shoots are purposeful and not only 'just to do it'. However I do find that effective photography does require regular if not constant activity. I try to not let to much of a lag develop between creative projects, whether they are paid (compensated or monetized) or not.

Nov 18 23 04:56 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Even within the creative field, there are financial costs but those involved in photography are quite low compared to, for example, the budget needed to stage a Broadway musical;

https://newmusicaltheatre.com/blogs/gre … n-budget-1

Nov 18 23 06:05 am Link

Photographer

MatthewGuy

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

For me, it is pretty much as the others have commented, and I am just repeating, it is a hobby, I justify it on the fact that it brings me enjoyment. If other people who view my end product take a moment to appreciate the effort and derive something positive out of it, then that is an added bonus.

However, upon saying that. Despite being in the hobby for years, I have put in minimal effort to learn all the technical aspects of photography (IE, setting up the lights in a studio, getting my camera settings exactly right etc), plus I often struggle trying to translate the mental image I have for the end product to the model, so it is difficult for me to articulate what I require of them.
In paying for a professional model, who has experience and a lot of industrial know how, I can provide her with a mood board/inspirational images and say "I wish to recreate these particular images, but these other images will show what themes we can improvise with...", and that is enough for the model to do what they do best.

Essentially, like in any profession in any other industry, I am paying for their experience to help me attain what I wish too.

Nov 18 23 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:
On first read, the term 'justify' didn't sit well with me. It implied that I needed to submit proof or reasoning to anyone other than myself. Maybe that is too narrow of a definition. For the question I think you are asking, I would use the term budget.

I budget the expense of shoots, not only model fee but possibly also travel, wardrobe, props etc. to get an exclusive shot. I tend to not rely on shooting a model's own wardrobe which has likely been shot a dozen or more times. Most often I use the images for magazine submission and portfolio website inclusion with the aim of it being my marketing material for future paid shoots. My budget limits me from taking on all of the shoots I would ever conceive of or schedule on a slower pace that I would with unlimited resources. Generally my budgeted shoots are purposeful and not only 'just to do it'. However I do find that effective photography does require regular if not constant activity. I try to not let to much of a lag develop between creative projects, whether they are paid (compensated or monetized) or not.

I like your comment!  This is something we can agree on.  When planning a photo shoot where I am to hire a model, I have to consider a "budget" before I will do it.  Photography is not so much in a category of a business or a hobby for me.  It was my understanding from the words of my grandfather who was a photographer, that you don't do photography with the expectation of making a lot of money.  That spoils the motivation for creating in the first place.  My mom reminded me of that yet, bought me my first 35mm film camera when I was still a teenager. 

Regardless of the budget, I consider the content I create to have value other than what was spent on the production of those images.  Sometime the journalistic images I have shot are worth far more, especially if it was for candid event that I did for free.   Weddings used to be my money maker.  Shooting weddings back in the day, I wasn't concerned about the money until a bridezilla came along who made it about the money. She made the entire event so unpleasant even though I had given her a deep discount that I wished I had just given her money back and said to hell with it!   That is when I went back to my first love which is photographing beautiful women, fast cars and rock stars.  It's crazy to some people for me to say this, but creative people who are not so focused on making money are far more pleasant to work with.  I don't mind tipping a great model even more than what was agreed on.  Making an income from the photography I do is up to me and my budget.

Nov 18 23 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

When I was still working for money, I employed payed models to pose on workshops. The in between shoots were for practice and experiments, or testing new lights. I'm not working anymore, but I like the photo shoots, so now I pay for a model if my budget allows it. If dinner together is appreciated by both of us, we do that as well. Payed by me. Most models have done that when I shoot in a hotel.

Nov 19 23 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

I payed one time a model $80 for her time. Her look added to my port a great deal. Most other times I payed what I considered tips of $40 or $50 for no more than 2 hours of their time along with the pictures. This was before the economy went south. It worked at least for awhile. I haven’t done nothing on mm for some time since. Nowadays I am more involved in user groups that plan studio, outdoor, and mansion shoots. Some are free others are minimal costs. The get the model scene is very exhausting and risky for the least of words. It always was a hobby.

Nov 19 23 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

If I hire a model, it is because I am shooting my for projects.
It's well worth the cost to not have any responsibility or requirement to shoot images for the model or any need to provide images to the model unless I choose to.

I generally recoup the modelling cost when selling finished artwork at art shows or open studio events.

Dec 05 23 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

In the past I shot some stock and other projects that made hiring a model financially worthwhile, but mostly photography is a just a hobby for me that like most hobbies has expenses.

Dec 09 23 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

When I started on MM way back in 2005 it was mostly to support the side gig I was doing. That bit was putting American models in clothing for the Chinese wholesale market. I ended up with five regular clients and for about ten years it was good money which I plowed right back into equipment, travel, and classes. Then it ended. Like BOOM one day the clients were all closed up and gone.

After that was a mix of weddings, events, boudoir, vanity work for people who wanted to be models, headshots for social media, and etc.

These days it's the occasional illustrated e-book gig, real estate, and a bunch of senior portraits.

On the e-book gigs I pay the models quite well because I'm getting paid and the authors are also making good money mostly on Smashwords with erotic novels.

Dec 11 23 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Ben have you given any consideration to becoming a Testing Photographer for Royalle Modelling in Sydney...

Tower 2 201 Sussex St, level 20/21 Darling Park. Sydney. NSW. 2000 | [email protected] | +61 2 8599 7273 Web: https://www.royallemodelling.com.au/

Wishing you much joy and success on your photographic journey once you return to Sydney from Perth
Cheers! Thomas

Dec 11 23 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the site...Now, I am SURE they do good, or at least serviceable, work, but...

https://www.royallemodelling.com.au/production

Why is the fill light directly next to the window?

Why the hell is the assistant messing with the background light while the actual shoot is going on?

Why is the photographer doing the "flying elbow" handheld pose?

With what appears to be a long, heavy lens?

While standing next to a perfectly good tripod?

Looks like a photo of what someone thinks a photo shoot set should look like...

Dec 12 23 06:37 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Studio NSFW wrote:
RE:  https://www.royallemodelling.com.au/production

Why the hell is the assistant messing with the background light while the actual shoot is going on?

Don't be silly.

Clearly, the assistant is manually firing that strobe every time the photographer wants to take a photo.

You know, "3... 2...1... fire".

Note:  This takes LOTS of practice...

wink

Dec 12 23 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Studio NSFW wrote:

Well, it looks like 120mm for the Hasselblad H, neither long or particularly heavy.

The 'one-foot-on-applebox' is the ridiculous element IMO.

Dec 12 23 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Ben McPhee wrote:
For those of you who pay out of your own pocket for models (particularly fashion with highly specific clothing or mages with some level of nudity like editorial beauty or art nude):

1. I’m just curious if you actually have a way to monetise those images and videos to at least partly cover costs? (Prints, books, content for websites, blog/mag submissions, your own subscription site, or something like onlyfans/patreon)?

2. If not, how are you afford/justifying the costs? Are you paying simply in the interest of making the best imagery possible despite the expense? Is it for “advertising” or “clout” on socials and/or via your website/folio (with possible work leads from that)? Or something else?

Feel free to elaborate if you have any other outlets to cover costs . smile

My photography is a hobby. For many of the models I hire, modelling is their full-time (or part-time) job, and they put a lot of work into it - they exercise, eat right, learn good makeup skills, do yoga or dance or ... I respect that.

Because photography is a hobby, I do not have to justify my equipment to an accountant. If I want a camera body, a lens, a studio light, I can choose to buy it, even if there is a more financially responsible alternative. I like that.

I pay models to work with me, and I shoot what I like - not what would sell, or what someone else wants. In most cases, I'm paying for. and getting, professional model skills, and it is worth it to me.

My only reward for my photography is my personal satisfaction, and sometimes the happiness of the models when I produce shots that they want to put into their portfolio. That's all I get to "cover my costs". Suits me. My costs are still lower than some other hobbies - one guy I knew competed in amateur triathlons, and he spent a lot on bicycles and travel to the various competitions.

Jan 05 24 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Studio NSFW wrote:
Out of curiosity, I clicked on the site...Now, I am SURE they do good, or at least serviceable, work, but...

https://www.royallemodelling.com.au/production

Why is the fill light directly next to the window?

Why is the photographer doing the "flying elbow" handheld pose?

While standing next to a perfectly good tripod?

Did you notice that the male models are categorised under "Men" while the female models are under "Royalettes" - sounds like something from the 1950s or 60s.

Jan 05 24 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

mostly echoing what others say, when I'm not directly monetizing it would be prudent to say "hobby", but I do monetize things years later, a random project I would not have considered at the time of shoot, or clout on social media.

"clout on social" might look like a footnote or a vain reality we've just accepted, but the word choice suggests a diminished view on how valuable clout on social media is. its a currency that can be used over and again without being spent. more akin to collateral.

suddenly, direct messages on instagram with more beautiful and more popular people are read and replied to.

suddenly luxury brands want you to use their material things for a mere shoutout, when in truth I should be getting paid.

now, what one other person wrote is actually the biggest component for me: having no obligation to deliver photos. With trade, or casual shoots with creative friends, there is an expectation of performance and delivery. With money there is a nearly universal understanding that there is not, but you can also explicitly say not to expect photos and still have the shoot done. You can alter people's schedules, practically the space time continuum, whereas with trade there is no commitment and other things alter people's schedules.

Jan 05 24 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bil Brown

Los Angeles, California, US

Books, editorial and zines, mostly. I am in a strange position because I feel like people working with me are almost documentary in motivation... but I will say what I think about this subject.

I don't hire models as often as I likely should, but we trade for work we are doing but I have and do sometimes when I feel like the model is 1) traveling and needs it to continue doing it, 2) the model has a portfolio that is worth both of our rates, or 3) I want to work with someone and this is what they feel is the best compensation.

The way I "justify" it is this:

If I can pay for a meal, or a night out that will usually hold no benefit other than the moment it is done, or watch a movie or spend whatever godly amount of money for things that have no extended value – I can afford to pay a model so they also have some of this privilege, since it is their JOB. Since photography is holding each moment we capture with a lens-based device dear, then my time with a model has VALUE.

What is my VALUE when I can sell 1 photo for a lot of money (art product) and a model is offering their skill and time for a little of that lot-of-money (art subject rates). IF I am able to live off of my photography, a model should be able to live off of modeling if they so choose.

If I want or need to monetize right away, there are venues for that (as you pointed out) and if I want to sit on the photos for awhile and print them as I want there are also galleries and direct sales for that. Either way AS A PHOTOGRAPHER (whether you want to or not) YOU CAN MONETIZE YOUR WORK, A MODEL SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE SAME.

Hourly rates are simply acknowledging that a model's work also deserves to be PAID. IF you can't do it, that's okay too. Don't work with that model. Work with models you can afford until you can pay their rates or you can work something out.

If you are doing it right... Eventually, you will look at these large quantities of photos you have and realize that a FEW of them (sadly only a few) are worth a lot more than what you would have paid the subject at the time of capture.

Anyone that doesn't feel BAD for how little you have paid that subject, to me, is heartless.

Pay or trade, but either way. Make it worth each other's while SOMEHOW.

Jan 12 24 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Suyama

Seattle, Washington, US

When I maintained a website, I rarely if ever paid a model to shoot. I was shooting models every week, sometimes 2-3 times a week.

Now that I deleted my site, deleted all but one of my socials, and don't care to show my photography or chase up "credits" I am just another rando. I don't care. I don't need or want clout or recognition. Half or more of the people I was shooting back 1-2 decades ago no longer model. MM is different too.

Today, I actually don't mind paying models for their time. I want to support the models that I work with in some way and money is the universal exchange.

Jan 18 24 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Become in demand enough that paying clients foot the bills for established modeling talent, otherwise I would have never have had the opportunity to shoot the fabulous Nadine from Click Models NYC.

Feb 28 24 08:15 am Link