Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: which photographers do you message on IG?

Photographer

Certain Exposures

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I would like to get a better understanding of your approaches and experiences with IG.

1. Have you proactively contacted any photographers on IG lately? If so, what motivated you to do so?

2. Are you so inundated with messages that you do not usually need to reach out to photographers? If so what is the most common way that you filter photographers' messages? Follow count, style/genre, color v.s. B&W, etc.?

3. Have you communicated with photographers in other parts of the country to set up travel shoots or do you only network in your locale?

Nov 13 23 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Note: I am a model. This is my photography account.

I haven't used IG in several years, as I went on an extended hiatus when Covid hit. I only recently began to network as a model again. Even having access to my own studio now, things are slow and I'm sure a lot has changed during the last three years. But, in 2019, I used IG quite a bit. I was NEVER inundated with messages. I'd get a few jobs from IG every month, maybe 5, but they typically paid well. I was a nude model, actively touring, who'd been in the community for about 10 years at that point. I worked with literally every photographer who offered me paid work from IG, was within my reasonable travel radius at the time (I did bi-coastal and road trip travel, so my radius was wide), and was willing to get a day and time set in stone for a shoot within a few messages. I also got a significant amount of work using MM's browse features, and contacting photographers individually, in different cities, who had known traveling models featured in their portfolios. That worked very reliably for me.

The only criteria I used with IG was: (A) Will they pay my rates, (B) Do they respond to my messages within 24 hours, (C) Are they willing to get that date and time set for a shoot asap, and (D) Can I reasonably be in their city on the day and time they've chosen.

It was really that easy. Work is work.

In the years since, my old model Instagram has somehow achieved a "micro influencer" level of followers. It certainly didn't have that many 3 years ago, and I've mysteriously managed to become more popular on social media since mostly becoming inactive. I do believe there are a lot of benefits to using Instagram, but I cannot claim to really understand how it works with regards to popularity.

Dec 05 23 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Studios 217

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photog here,

This is a great question. I've tried to reach out to several models on IG and I feel that I either:

1. Never get a response.
2. I receive a response with days or weeks in between before a reply. 
3. A discussion is started, then dies halfway between getting much needed information such as locking in dates, discussing compensation, wardrobe questions, etc. etc. 

I do offer a lot of compensation as well, but it seems they just aren't interested in my offer.  So I feel like i'm wasting my time, hence why i came to MM to hopefully work with actual people who want to create.

Perhaps I'm coming off like i'm trying to hit on someone? I don't think I am.  I'm just trying to get all the information I need in order to get a wardrobe together, dates locked in, and what to expect. I like to communicate everything up front.

Dec 07 23 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Certain Exposures

Al_Vee Photography wrote:
Note: I am a model. This is my photography account.

I haven't used IG in several years, as I went on an extended hiatus when Covid hit. I only recently began to network as a model again. Even having access to my own studio now, things are slow and I'm sure a lot has changed during the last three years. But, in 2019, I used IG quite a bit. I was NEVER inundated with messages. I'd get a few jobs from IG every month, maybe 5, but they typically paid well. I was a nude model, actively touring, who'd been in the community for about 10 years at that point. I worked with literally every photographer who offered me paid work from IG, was within my reasonable travel radius at the time (I did bi-coastal and road trip travel, so my radius was wide), and was willing to get a day and time set in stone for a shoot within a few messages. I also got a significant amount of work using MM's browse features, and contacting photographers individually, in different cities, who had known traveling models featured in their portfolios. That worked very reliably for me.

The only criteria I used with IG was: (A) Will they pay my rates, (B) Do they respond to my messages within 24 hours, (C) Are they willing to get that date and time set for a shoot asap, and (D) Can I reasonably be in their city on the day and time they've chosen.

It was really that easy. Work is work.

In the years since, my old model Instagram has somehow achieved a "micro influencer" level of followers. It certainly didn't have that many 3 years ago, and I've mysteriously managed to become more popular on social media since mostly becoming inactive. I do believe there are a lot of benefits to using Instagram, but I cannot claim to really understand how it works with regards to popularity.

Thanks for your comments! Congrats on your growth regardless of how it happened.

Did the photographers that messaged you generally already follow your account? Did that matter to you at all?

Dec 13 23 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Certain Exposures

Studios 217 wrote:
Photog here,

This is a great question. I've tried to reach out to several models on IG and I feel that I either:

1. Never get a response.
2. I receive a response with days or weeks in between before a reply. 
3. A discussion is started, then dies halfway between getting much needed information such as locking in dates, discussing compensation, wardrobe questions, etc. etc. 

I do offer a lot of compensation as well, but it seems they just aren't interested in my offer.  So I feel like i'm wasting my time, hence why i came to MM to hopefully work with actual people who want to create.

Perhaps I'm coming off like i'm trying to hit on someone? I don't think I am.  I'm just trying to get all the information I need in order to get a wardrobe together, dates locked in, and what to expect. I like to communicate everything up front.

You cannot hurt your chances by being here! I received messages from traveling models when I had my MM portfolio and my "about me" live for a while.

Do not beat yourself up about struggling to solidify plans.

Dec 13 23 09:10 am Link