Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Old Macbooks and patchers

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Like some here I use older Macbooks.  Like 2011 to 2015.  Not a huge fan of the later units although the M1 and M2 are fantastic looking.  I have used the MacOS patchers to update my 2011 Macbook Pro to Monterey and WOW.  The performance is great.  If you have an older Macbook 2010 or newer.  Put a SSD in it and try to get the ram to 8gb or more and try a patcher. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaX4_iy5bk

Jul 09 23 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

StolenSoulPhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

after watching my Mid 15 15" MB Pro (it had failry decent specs for it's age, 16MB RAM, etc) struggle with the size of files created with my Canon 7d, using the LightRoom AI de-noise, I knew it wouldn't keep up with the R6M2...

Went M2, and no complaints. I may try this patcher, as I carry it with me, in case I need to download both cards on location, etc.

Thanks for the tip!

Jul 12 23 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

StolenSoulPhotography wrote:
after watching my Mid 15 15" MB Pro (it had failry decent specs for it's age, 16MB RAM, etc) struggle with the size of files created with my Canon 7d, using the LightRoom AI de-noise, I knew it wouldn't keep up with the R6M2...

Went M2, and no complaints. I may try this patcher, as I carry it with me, in case I need to download both cards on location, etc.

Thanks for the tip!

The M1 and M2 are fantastic machines but costly.  Yet they are both unbeatable for large files and powerful programs that a Intel Macbook would struggle with.  I just hate they don't have USB instead of USB-C and the M1 doesn't have a SD card reader.  C'mon, Apple these laptops are used by photographers who would like a reader.  The M2 has one, I understand.

Jul 12 23 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just updated a 2013 Macbook Air to Sonoma.  Everything works.

Oct 28 23 01:12 pm Link