Forums > Contests > Why Is AI Being Allowed As Submissions?

Model

Ann Teak Model

New York, New York, US

I just saw that the last two POTD contests were won (by the same photographer) who very clearly submitted digitally rendered images that are Artificial Intelligence (AI) based.

The winning images are of 'people' that do not exist. Why is this allowed? My understanding is that these MM contests are for best images of models who are REAL PEOPLE. If AI images are going to be allowed and win, then the contest should be changed to clearly be for 'Best Digital Art'.

Jun 13 23 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Good question

Jun 13 23 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

YES!  allowing AI generated images does ignore the point of this site as it requires neither models nor photographers...

Jun 14 23 04:00 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Chris Macan wrote:
YES!  allowing AI generated images does ignore the point of this site as it requires neither models nor photographers...

Maybe the answer is that all submissions require a raw file submitted as well.

Jun 14 23 07:43 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Keep in mind there have been bundled "beauty" photoshopping apps for years, just insert a raw file, press a button and out slides the final product, commercial situations, catalogs, or wide use ads that are part of a whole campaign pretty much require that there's a consistency of look and finish and that's the best (and cheapest) way to accomplish that  .  .  .  the look is fairly easy though, my entry in todays POTD contest is a quick edit done in less than five minutes, not quite as finished or detailed, but similar  .  .  .  I'm fairly sure that AI will eventually conquer us all  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 16 23 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

"Y'know the thing about a AI, They've got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes."
OP is %100 right
Time to can contests I think

Jun 16 23 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

OMG!  What has the World come to?  This is why I don't waste time on contests.

Jun 16 23 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
"Y'know the thing about a AI, They've got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes."
OP is %100 right
Time to can contests I think

It looks like MM got what they wanted. The contests have become a joke with very few submissions.

Jun 18 23 07:00 am Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!

Ann Teak Model wrote:
I just saw that the last two POTD contests were won (by the same photographer) who very clearly submitted digitally rendered images that are Artificial Intelligence (AI) based.

The winning images are of 'people' that do not exist. Why is this allowed? My understanding is that these MM contests are for best images of models who are REAL PEOPLE. If AI images are going to be allowed and win, then the contest should be changed to clearly be for 'Best Digital Art'.

We allow AI enhanced photos, but not AI generated. Please link to the contest images you think are AI generated and if they are they will be removed.

Thanks

Jun 19 23 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

Maybe the answer is that all submissions require a raw file submitted as well.

Define "RAW file" or are you just suggesting some work in progress file?
(not entirely sure I would want to show that as it could be pulled up in a search as an example of my work)

Jun 20 23 07:35 am Link