Forums > Model Colloquy > Pits in pics, yea or nay? Why/not?

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I shoot dynamic portraits. Sometimes the outfit and action of the subject will reveal underarms. Only 1 shot has ever been flat rejected simply because of an underarm. But as the temperatures get height arms get raised, pits are exposed and find their way into great action shots. Usually they’re trimmed or shaved. But the question begs. So I put it to you.

For you, are pits an ultimate taboo like nostril tunnels? Do subjects “have underarms, get over it!”
Do you include them or no? Please also say why.
Thx

Mar 28 23 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

What??

Mar 28 23 07:59 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I intentionally show mine, they are just as valid as any other body part and nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by.

I choose not to shave mine. If that bothers anyone to see what a natural woman looks like, that's unfortunate because it is a part of being me.

Mar 28 23 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

There are no absolutes in art. Publications and galleries may have them.

Generally I am not fan of either nostrils or arm pits but sometimes the image demands it

Mar 28 23 08:18 am Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

San Diego, California, US

I'm not a fan of pits, especially if the skin tone is a lot darker than the surrounding skin; I think its distracting.  I don't exclude / reject images during culling because of pits.

Mar 28 23 08:35 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
I intentionally show mine, they are just as valid as any other body part and nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by.

I choose not to shave mine. If that bothers anyone to see what a natural woman looks like, that's unfortunate because it is a part of being me.

I agree. Any single component of a shot can overwhelm and change the intended feel.  But pits are as natural as earlobes, yes? To hide them just because or without artistic intent doesn’t seem valid.

Mar 28 23 09:49 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David A Reichel wrote:
I'm not a fan of pits, especially if the skin tone is a lot darker than the surrounding skin; I think its distracting.  I don't exclude / reject images during culling because of pits.

Thanks for that balance. David.

Mar 28 23 09:52 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
There are no absolutes in art.

My mantra

Mar 28 23 09:55 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
There are no absolutes in art.

My mantra

Mar 28 23 09:55 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mark Salo wrote:
What??

Hey Mark! So, I recently shot a beautiful yogi, in an amazing pose with her arms over her head.  She was shaved and the difference in underarm tone was similar if not less than her knee caps. A single knee jerk remark from a viewer made me check to see if there is a consensus among pro shooters and models.
What are you thoughts on armpits?

Mar 28 23 10:05 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

rGlenndonShoots wrote:
... A single knee jerk remark from a viewer made me check to see if there is a consensus among pro shooters and models.
What are you thoughts on armpits?

Shoot what you want, or alternatively, what the client wants. I’m curious: why are you soliciting and weighing the opinions of people who aren’t paying you? If you like “x”, why does it matter if 12 (or 1200!) random internet people whom you don’t know tell you that they don’t like “x”?

Mar 28 23 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

rGlenndonShoots wrote:
Any single component of a shot can overwhelm and change the intended feel.. . .   
. . .  To hide them just because or without artistic intent doesn’t seem valid.

You apparently seem content to also live with the contradictions in your statements.

Not me. I will sometimes include shaved armpits in a photo where it can be readily ameliorated in post-production and doesn't interfere with the beauty of the image, and sometimes I have included hairy pits when they don't overwhelm the basic portrait, but that would be rare. However, if I think it's ugly within the frame, or very distracting, I generally don't want it in my photos, just as I wouldn't want to focus on a "completely natural" bruise. Nor would I want a flat hand or a protruding elbow to be the de-facto focus of an image.

None of this has anything to do with a lack of respect for the natural female form, or for the person of the model. I simply see it as very distracting in most cases, and since beauty is a fragile thing in creating a beautiful photo, I choose to avoid the problem. That's my right as an artist, and no one should pronounce it invalid.

Mar 28 23 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AgX wrote:
]
Shoot what you want, or alternatively, what the client wants. I’m curious: why are you soliciting and weighing the opinions of people who aren’t paying you? If you like “x”, why does it matter if 12 (or 1200!) random internet people whom you don’t know tell you that they don’t like “x”?

I’m curious: what in post leads you to think I don’t ‘shoot what I like’? Wait, I’m more curious about why you’re questioning my question without offering a response?. Actually, I’m really not that interested in either.

What does interest me is perspectives other than my own. When alternate opinions are freely discussed everyone benefits.

Mar 28 23 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Modelphilia wrote:

You apparently seem content to also live with the contradictions in your statements.
'.

Oddly enough we may well be saying the same thing. Often verbose with detail, I chose to be a bit more brief this time, relying on readers here to understand.
Thanks for your voice.

Mar 28 23 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Modelphilia wrote:

'.

Oddly enough we may well be saying the same thing. Often verbose with detail, I chose to be a bit more brief this time, relying on readers here to understand.
Thanks for your voice.

Mar 28 23 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

rGlenndonShoots wrote:
Actually, I’m really not that interested in either.

lol. Of course.
Carry on.

Mar 29 23 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Human beings have armpits. They're fine. Human beings also have tattoos, scars and moles. All these things are fine as well.

Mar 30 23 10:59 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Al_Vee Photography wrote:
Human beings have armpits. They're fine. Human beings also have tattoos, scars and moles. All these things are fine as well.

Perfect explanation.  It should not be any issue.

Mar 30 23 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Zap Industries

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I love armpit shots, so long as they are shaved. Not getting into a hair debate, I respect different opinions.

Mar 31 23 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

It fascinates me how different cultures regard what is an erogenous zone.
I have seen armpits licked as foreplay ?

Mar 31 23 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I don't like arm pit hair, but otherwise, there are a number of good ways to use arms that would show the arm pit, as long as it is shaved.

That said, I prefer pubic hair be neatly trimmed as well.

Rick

Sep 08 23 02:54 pm Link