Forums > Model Colloquy > "Imperfect Models" are perfect

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Feb 23 23 04:38 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

June Palmer was said to be photogenic from any angle, but it would be difficult to imagine any model being considered "perfect" for every type of model photography, glamour, fashion etc.

Feb 23 23 08:12 am Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

JSouthworth wrote:
June Palmer was said to be photogenic from any angle, but it would be difficult to imagine any model being considered "perfect" for every type of model photography, glamour, fashion etc.

I'll probably endure an enormous amount of deserved criticism, but JS in the above statement is correct. I don't know Jane, and she is probably fantastic, however a perfect model for every photographic situation.... surely not.
And the reason for that is the world, society and perspective has skewed and today what is considered to be a "model" can be anyone. It's highly unlikely, Jane, or anyone else could fulfill ALL the usual and unusual genre that has fomented into the industry.
In times past, what we would have called a "subject" has self-elevated their title to "model.".
Used to be when you used the word model when we were talking about a individual (99% of the time female) who was classically attractive, fit and of certain proportions. Model meant type, and like a '57 Chevy you knew the type you meant when someone was a model... Today, with fat celebration, body modifications and mutilations, and the inclinations to achieve truly freakish appearances, defining what a model is, is as difficult as a Liberal defining what a woman is...

Feb 24 23 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

well I still think that a Model is someone to look up to ( whatever the genre ) and a model is a replica

And no Model in any genre has it all -even at the top  - Some are in fact quite different than each other

I think of Fashion and 2 of its top Models over the past 20 yrs - Coco Rocha and Giselle Bundchen . One is a Posing Master and the other looks Great in a Swimsuit

Apples and Oranges

Feb 24 23 09:25 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I wasn’t going to bother answering the inane JS comment, but since others have chimed in-

The title, which is only a small portion of the post, even though the article was shared without comment, said the imperfect models are perfect.  There were only those four words and to make those words into something else is absurd. The title implies the person is perfect, not that they are the perfect model for every scenario.  An insinuation that the post was about an "imperfect model" who is perfect for all possible modeling scenarios is consistent with the character of the poster who tends to read things into the words of others, ... and his own, and flexes the meaning of words to favor his interpretation at any given time over the written words- changing the insinuation as it fits his purpose.  [shrug] That process is much easier than thinking about what is meant to be conveyed and making an effort to be coherent.  [shrug]

Perfect is subjective.  Who gets to define the criteria regarding what is perfect?  Is it the hate filled racist that judges people based on race and will find anyone other than his preference to be lacking?  Or a moron that needs to make himself feel better by tearing down another person?  Is perfect a term that is defined by the situation at hand?  Who among us hasn’t said to our love interests or to models that they are perfect as they are?  Perfect for me?  Perfect for the shoot?  Or that a person looks perfect in that moment in time- in that gown?  Holding that newborn?  Or battered and beaten, but still alive?

The article was about celebrating the people that don't fit the narrow specifications people create to glorify some and minimize others.  The article was about "imperfect models."  A characterization that I did’t really care for. To add the words, "are perfect" in the title was to counter the judgmental norm that certain people are bound to associate with the phrase "imperfect model."  We are all perfect would be one philosophy.  We are all flawed would be a biblical perspective.  That which constitutes our physical features is a result of our genetics and life- and except for some choices, it is out of our control. Who is to say what is perfect unless we apply arbitrary standards to everyone?  All of us are who we are.  Why isn’t that good enough to be perfect?

While many men are looking at hot models displaying clothes for women, isn’t it reasonable for women to be interested in seeing how something looks on a body like their own, instead of a body that is unsustainable over time for most people? 

What then is a perfect model?  One that can pose in any situation for all eternity “for every type of model photography, glamour, fashion, etc.?”  A criteria that is as unreasonable and thoughtless as it sounds?  Or is the perfect model the one that is right for that occasion and that subject and that shoot?  Perhaps one who has an unusual pigmentation that is nonetheless perfect?

Isn't MM a place for the imperfect model to be the perfect model?

I have shot with many wonderful models from MM and I wouldn't trade a single one of them in for the looks of some esoteric criteria that someone else determined every model should be.

Feb 24 23 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

what is curious is that they decided to make it a news segment. They even acknowledge that the agency opened in 2020 and that similar agencies have been operating for longer. there has been an active diversity-focused agency working in NYC for about 5 years now in addition to regular agencies adding non-typical models to their lineups.

Feb 25 23 10:25 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Dan Howell wrote:
what is curious is that they decided to make it a news segment. They even acknowledge that the agency opened in 2020 and that similar agencies have been operating for longer. there has been an active diversity-focused agency working in NYC for about 5 years now in addition to regular agencies adding non-typical models to their lineups.

Ditto.

Ugly have been around in the UK for a considerable time now:

https://www.ugly.org/2016/

Feb 25 23 03:22 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

P R E S T O N wrote:

Ditto.

Ugly have been around in the UK for a considerable time now:

https://www.ugly.org/2016/

I thought of that agency when i read the op, love their work. 

I think one of those catalogs made me stumble across Rossy De Palma, a very unusual looking model and actress who absolutely made it work for herself.
Perfection from every angle.

Feb 26 23 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Models can be used in different ways. They need to be selected for each different situation. That model is an unusual situation, but that can be effective in garnering attention.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:26 pm Link