Forums > General Industry > Why doesn't anyone ever...

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

Why doesn't anyone ever want to paint my face, or glam me up?  I always get offers from photographers who would rather I not wear makeup...Just curious if anyone else gets that too....NickiB

Dec 13 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

NickiB wrote:
Why doesn't anyone ever want to paint my face, or glam me up?  I always get offers from photographers who would rather I not wear makeup...Just curious if anyone else gets that too....NickiB

Come to Florida  big_smile

Dec 13 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

NickiB wrote:

Natural beauty always better.  You seem to have a very pretty natural face.

Dec 13 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

NickiB wrote:

I always get that too, I like natural but it'd be nice to have more makeup shots.

Dec 13 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

OK - so I just sent 2 messages...there are some of us who absolutely LOVE it when we get to work with makeup - especially shooting the process of its application...

Dec 13 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

NickiB wrote:

Go to them.

Dec 13 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

NickiB wrote:
Why doesn't anyone ever want to paint my face,

Come to South Central LA.

We got lots'a guys that'd love to paint your face.

Of course they call it tagging and usually paint on walls, but I'm sure a pretty face like yours would look great spray painted with "13 Loco South Boyz"  big_smile

Dec 13 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Because you have a very striking face which is not particularly glamourous.

M

Dec 13 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

MMPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

NickiB wrote:

You look beautiful without makeup, why would someone want to impose on a masterpiece?

Dec 13 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

You're just working with the *wrong* photographers smile

Come to Pittsburgh!

For examples: http://www.starglider.com/photography.html  (look under Artistic)

Best wishes!

-Rowen
StarGlider Studios

Dec 13 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'll paint you up big_smile

Dec 13 06 04:15 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I do it all. I have photos with minimal makeup, some with crazy makeup, some with natural makeup, and now body paint!

I only have 1 photographer that likes me with no makeup, Stephen Melvin smile everyone else likes using a makeup artist.

If you don't need makeup, that's great! they want to show that off.
if you want shots with makeup, say that to the photographer. "I really want to add something to my port that I don't have: quality work with an MUA. Can you help me with that?"

Dec 13 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Jessalyn wrote:
I do it all. I have photos with minimal makeup, some with crazy makeup, some with natural makeup, and now body paint!

I only have 1 photographer that likes me with no makeup, Stephen Melvin smile everyone else likes using a makeup artist.

If you don't need makeup, that's great! they want to show that off.
if you want shots with makeup, say that to the photographer. "I really want to add something to my port that I don't have: quality work with an MUA. Can you help me with that?"

I have never ever wanted to to body paint until I saw an issue of SI a couple of years ago that had amazing body paint images. I have done it a couple of times now and they are getting better but need to bring it all together before I can show them.

Viva la paint

RB

Dec 13 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

i really wish they'd tell me that sad
but i really don't have the face for modeling
I think that maybe you should talk to a MUA about either tfcd or paid work. Thats what I've had to do

Dec 13 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

Elisabeth Eagle-Your son is adorable, but I wouldn't put my kids' (I have two young boys) pictures on a public site.  Thanks for your comments, though...

Dec 13 06 11:34 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

NickiB wrote:

I think certain genres of photographers want minimal makeup, maybe you are mostly contacting editorial/lifestyle photographers who want the natural look, you need to find yourself a good GLAMOUR or high fashion photographer, girl!

Dec 13 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

StMarc wrote:

M

So, what's a glamourous face?

Dec 13 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

Natural schmatural.  I want you in red lipstick and too much eye-makeup.

Dec 13 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

It's too bad I'm too tall for you, Spike...NickiB

Dec 13 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

NickiB wrote:
It's too bad I'm too tall for you, Spike...NickiB

Rules are made to be broken as they say.  That model in my avitar is a giant tall 5'7" girlie.

Dec 13 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Your location may have something to do with it.
I work with two make up artists and I just learned one of my favorite make up artists just moved back here, so we are already discussing another shoot with a model, of course make will be used.

So look beyond your back yard. And in some cases you may have to pay, photogs often get paid if that is how they make their living and the make up artists I work with like to get paid also.  So I don't let anyone get paid on set unless I'm paid, if it is a tfp then no one gets paid.

Depending on what is going on project wise.

Dec 14 06 12:16 am Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

Generally I am a paid model. Occasionally, if I think someone has an interesting idea, I may work for free.  I am not trying to build my portfolio, I have been modelling for a decade.  This is how I earn my living while going to school, and raising two young sons. 

Oh yeah, and Spike...I'm still too tall for you...a whopping 5ft8 1/2 in....

Dec 14 06 12:25 am Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

Dec 14 06 12:25 am Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CL Photography wrote:
Your location may have something to do with it.
I work with two make up artists and I just learned one of my favorite make up artists just moved back here, so we are already discussing another shoot with a model, of course make will be used.

So look beyond your back yard. And in some cases you may have to pay, photogs often get paid if that is how they make their living and the make up artists I work with like to get paid also.  So I don't let anyone get paid on set unless I'm paid, if it is a tfp then no one gets paid.

Depending on what is going on project wise.

Illinois is great for MUAs smile Well atleast chicago ! I had the pleasure last weekend of shooting and being in the presence of 5 wonderful talented Muas I was in AWE! Believe me we know how to glam it up in Illinois wink

*Sandra

Dec 14 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

HIRE a MUA.  They'll glam you up and paint your face all day.

Dec 14 06 12:38 am Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

I was asking about the work I get offered(for pay), not my own trying to get glammed up.  I like the work I do, I was just curious as to why some models get offered glamour work, and most photograpers that approach me want me bare faced.  NickiB

Dec 14 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Chan Studio wrote:

Natural beauty always better.  You seem to have a very pretty natural face.

I second that.

Dec 14 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

StMarc wrote:

M

NickiB wrote:
So, what's a glamourous face?

Rounder. Not quite as broad. Eyes not quite so deep-set. Lots of little things.

M

Dec 14 06 10:30 am Link

Model

NickiSki

Mattoon, Illinois, US

StMarc-
  Thanks, that's what I was trying to get out of the question.  I like shooting my style, I was just curious as to the difference.  Also thanks for the "striking face' remark, as I will assume that is meant as a compliment....NickiB

Dec 14 06 01:05 pm Link