Forums > Photography Talk > Easy Release app forms, contracts.

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Easy Release has been on my iPad for at least a year and finally setting it up in earnest.
Finding the standard forms aren’t detailed enough. Does anyone here use it? Care to share your edited release form that includes payment, delivery, and/or other specifics?

Btw: I wasn’t sure where to post this. Advance thanks for saying if it’s in the wrong place.
Also, if anyone has a helpful reply thanks for your patience. Your experience and information is appreciated; I’m not online as much as it may seem so my response may be delayed.

Feb 10 23 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

My release is very basic. I've seen releases that were five or six pages long and accompanied by an even longer contract.

1) Payment to me or to the model? Payment to the model will be mentioned in the release as just "consideration". If you publish the images, you may not want the publisher to know how much you paid the model.

2) Model's release of his/her images should not be contingent upon my delivery of the images. What if I am a week overdue?

3) Keep in mind that computer apps will change from time to time. I have digital releases that I can't read any longer but I still have the paper copies.

Feb 10 23 09:41 am Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mark Salo wrote:
My release is very basic. I've seen releases that were five or six pages long and accompanied by an even longer contract.

1) Payment to me or to the model? Payment to the model will be mentioned in the release as just "consideration". If you publish the images, you may not want the publisher to know how much you paid the model.

2) Model's release of his/her images should not be contingent upon my delivery of the images. What if I am a week overdue?

3) Keep in mind that computer apps will change from time to time. I have digital releases that I can't read any longer but I still have the paper copies.

I want to stay simple.
Your 1) is 100% correct. The release is simply that. The other details, however necessary to spell out, are no one else's concern, including the publisher. Which seems to require 2 docs; a brief release, and an agreement to include payment (to who) type and/or amount as well as deliverables -if only time on site, number and format of shots, and date.

Mark Salo wrote:
should not be contingent upon my delivery

Agreed. The release should be locked down at the time of he shoot, preferably before, I'd think. On the other hand do you allow for final payment to depend on final delivery?

3) Very true! Easy Release allows for sending copies to the model/client and to the creator's emails, printing a copy and sending a copy o archive in the cloud.

Feb 10 23 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

For years I have used a *very* thorough 1-page release I got from the ASMP site. It gives me complete rights to use the images however I may see fit. Payment is not mentioned other than as "consideration". Most models sign it without hesitation, and it is always up for alterations if needed, but that has only happened a couple of times. I don't know if it is still available, but it's worth checking.

Feb 10 23 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

rGlenndonShoots wrote:
Easy Release has been on my iPad for at least a year and finally setting it up in earnest.
Finding the standard forms aren’t detailed enough. Does anyone here use it? Care to share your edited release form that includes payment, delivery, and/or other specifics?

I use Easy Release for stock and any self-produced projects. It's built-in release is adequate for these types of shoots. I believe it is patterned after the Getty release which is probably the most widely accepted stock release. When I am working on a catalog or advertising project, especially with agency models, I would use a release prepared/negotiated by my client. I like Easy Release for general shoots when the specific usage isn't known. Personally I would not put payment and delivery specifics on a release form. That's not really what they are for. In fact, some stock agencies won't accept custom modifications to their release.

Feb 10 23 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dan Howell wrote:
I would not put payment and delivery specifics on a release form. That's not really what they are for. In fact, some stock agencies won't accept custom modifications to their release.

Thanks for yours and other’s clarification. It’s now clear that the release is as much for any future licensee as it is for the initial clarification, and has a very specific and concise duty.

That in mind, it seems clear that at least one other agreement is necessary to specify the other important details between the Photographer and model. Payment, if any, from which party, and when it’s expected. Quantity, delivery, and format of photos, if any. Of course there are other details as well that could become problematic if not itemized and agreed to beforehand, which could become innumerable. Certainly an important few of those details are better not left to that chance that they may not come up.

Which ones?

Feb 11 23 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rGlenndonShoots wrote:
Care to share your edited release form that includes payment, delivery, and/or other specifics?

If you're putting this in your model release, you're doing it wrong. A release is just that. It should be VERY simple. All of the other terms you're thinking about putting in there can actually nullify the release itself because it doesn't belong there. You're blending two completely unrelated things here to save paper and the legal system won't recognize any of it.

What you are looking to do is use two different contracts: A model release and a Usage License Agreement. The two have very little similarities and they go in two completely different directions.

A Model Release is used to grant the photographer permission to use the resulting images and for what purpose and compensation.

A Usage License Agreement outlines the terms on how the model can use the resulting images, for what scope they can be used, and for how long they can be used.

In addition to both of these, you should also have a Property Release handy as well. This is much like a Model Release except it's granting you permission to use the property you are shooting in, if not your own, and under what terms.

These are all SEPARATE documents, require different headers and signature blocks. And yes, even on TFP shoots I get signatures on model release and provide signed Usage License Agreements.

Feb 16 23 05:50 am Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Shot By Adam wrote:
If you're putting this in your model release, you're doing it wrong. A release is just that. It should be VERY simple. All of the other terms you're thinking about putting in there can actually nullify the release itself because it doesn't belong there. You're blending two completely unrelated things here to save paper and the legal system won't recognize any of it.

What you are looking to do is use two different contracts: A model release and a Usage License Agreement. The two have very little similarities and they go in two completely different directions.

A Model Release is used to grant the photographer permission to use the resulting images and for what purpose and compensation.

A Usage License Agreement outlines the terms on how the model can use the resulting images, for what scope they can be used, and for how long they can be used.

In addition to both of these, you should also have a Property Release handy as well. This is much like a Model Release except it's granting you permission to use the property you are shooting in, if not your own, and under what terms.

These are all SEPARATE documents, require different headers and signature blocks. And yes, even on TFP shoots I get signatures on model release and provide signed Usage License Agreements.

^^This^^
I have used Easy Release for a few years(since it launched) and have set up a Property Release in it. As mentioned license agreement and model release are two separate documents.

Feb 16 23 05:34 pm Link