Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Covid Booster(s)

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I got my second (or third?) booster (4th dose) of the covid vaccine and my flu shot yesterday. I have never contracted covid that I know of. I had no reactions to the other three. I very rarely get sick. I am THAT person that washes my hands and I am very aware of things I touch. Not a germaphobe by any means, just aware. This morning I felt nauseous, VERY tired. Just generally like I could tell I am off. I am THAT model that has never called off of a shoot until today for feeling like shit. I started thinking about how many times I have had a cold/flu/sinus crap and I can count on one hand in 10 years.

Did any of you have side effects with your vaccines?

Nov 11 22 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

From what I've been reading, it's not uncommon to feel a little off for a few days.

That's not due to a "mini-case" of COVID or the flu, unless you took a nasal spray version of it, you got completely "inactive" versions.   BUT, the vaccines suddenly kick your immune system into overdrive and that's why there are small side effects for the first few days.  Not everyone will get a reaction.

When you combine BOTH vaccines together, which is quite common these days, your immune system is getting a bigger "kick start" than usual, compared to when you just get the one.  So you're that much more likely to have a short-term mild reaction.

---

It's important to note another, completely separate, phenomena (over years past) related to the flu shot.  Many people believed that they actually got the flu from the flu shot.  And yet in most cases, they were given the "inactive" version, making that impossible.

When researchers checked into it, it turns out that most people get the flu shot in the fall when the flu is already spreading rapidly.  And the combination of it taking a while for someone infected with the flu to show symptoms, COMBINED with the fact that it takes a few weeks after the flu shot to give you decent protection against the flu, means that a lot of people actually get the flu fairly quickly after the shot.  And then make the wrong assumption as to what caused it.

Also, it turns out that many people wait until they see people around them getting the flu, before rushing out to get the flu shot.  Again, considering how long it takes to build up resistance, the odds are already against them by that point.

And in some years, unfortunately, the different strains of the flu that spread, turn out to be a mismatch for the strains that were incorporated into that year's flu shots (they have to take their best guess well in advance to produce the vaccines).   The good news is that the really serious version of the flu that hit Australia so hard this year, and looks like REAL trouble, IS incorporated into this year's flu shot.

So it's well worth getting this year's flu shot, if only to head off the worst of the fairly serious strain that hit Australia (and is now in North America).

Just my two cents worth and I hope you feel better soon!

Nov 11 22 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Yes, after Moderna 2 and 3 and Pfizer 4.

Slight fever, nausea, fatigue.

Nov 11 22 05:01 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

LightDreams wrote:
From what I've been reading, it's not uncommon to feel a little off for a few days.

That's not due to a "mini-case" of COVID or the flu, unless you took a nasal spray version of it, you got completely "inactive" versions.   BUT, the vaccines suddenly kick your immune system into overdrive and that's why there are small side effects for the first few days.  Not everyone will get a reaction.

When you combine BOTH vaccines together, which is quite common these days, your immune system is getting a bigger "kick start" than usual, compared to when you just get the one.  So you're that much more likely to have a short-term mild reaction.

---

It's important to note another, completely separate, phenomena (over years past) related to the flu shot.  Many people believed that they actually got the flu from the flu shot.  And yet in most cases, they were given the "inactive" version, making that impossible.

When researchers checked into it, it turns out that most people get the flu shot in the fall when the flu is already spreading rapidly.  And the combination of it taking a while for someone infected with the flu to show symptoms, COMBINED with the fact that it takes a few weeks after the flu shot to give you decent protection against the flu, means that a lot of people actually get the flu fairly quickly after the shot.  And then make the wrong assumption as to what caused it.

Also, it turns out that many people wait until they see people around them getting the flu, before rushing out to get the flu shot.  Again, considering how long it takes to build up resistance, the odds are already against them by that point.

And in some years, unfortunately, the different strains of the flu that spread, turn out to be a mismatch for the strains that were incorporated into that year's flu shots (they have to take their best guess well in advance to produce the vaccines).   The good news is that the really serious version of the flu that hit Australia so hard this year, and looks like REAL trouble, IS incorporated into this year's flu shot.

So it's well worth getting this year's flu shot, if only to head off the worst of the fairly serious strain that hit Australia (and is now in North America).

Just my two cents worth and I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you!

And for all that information. I knew all of it but it is nice to see it repeated. I feel mostly fine, just "off"...I am sure I'll feel better by tomorrow.

Nov 11 22 05:16 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Yes, after Moderna 2 and 3 and Pfizer 4.

Slight fever, nausea, fatigue.

No fever for me. I think I would probably feel miserable if I had that combined with the nausea and fatigue I have right now.

Nov 11 22 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I did have a "reaction" to the Covid shots- both the first two "main" doses and the first "booster"--- a slightly sore arm for the first day after the shots.

I skipped the second booster, and am scheduled for the latest booster and my annual flu shot .

The Flu shot has historically made me feel a bit off, some years even with a mild fever for a day or so.

Hope you feel better soon!

Nov 11 22 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

As Light Dreams mentions, it could be that your body is hard at work creating anti-bodies.
I had one Covid shot and the Flu shot last year, both in the same arm at the same time (not recommended!).
I was not feeling great for a couple of days. It wasn't Covid and it wasn't the flu.

I got my Covid shot a week before I went to Santa Cruz CA in October, then I took my brother in for his Covid and flu shots (I asked them to put one in each arm) and got my flu shot then. Much easier, I didn't feel bad.

This year's flu is a bit more virulent than some, Australia had a bad time of it. The vaccine we get here includes protection from that specific flu, an advantage of following them on this one.

Stay hydrated, rest and you should be fine. If you have Covid tests, use one 2-3 days after the first symptoms or you could get a false negative. FWIW, I've had a total of 5 Covid shots now and somewhere in between the 2nd shot and the 3rd, I got Covid. It was't real fun but it wasn't life threatening either. I probably have antibodies from Hell now!

Nov 11 22 06:07 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

rfordphotos wrote:
I did have a "reaction" to the Covid shots- both the first two "main" doses and the first "booster"--- a slightly sore arm for the first day after the shots.

I skipped the second booster, and am scheduled for the latest booster and my annual flu shot .

The Flu shot has historically made me feel a bit off, some years even with a mild fever for a day or so.

Hope you feel better soon!

I did have a slightly sore arm and He-Man looking lymph nodes for the first three. This time they are just sore. Arm was SUPER sore today. Now it is fine.

I have actually only ever had one flu shot which was November of 2020. Nothing.

I suppose this is going to be my regiment for a while now and I am fine with it.

Nov 11 22 06:23 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
As Light Dreams mentions, it could be that your body is hard at work creating anti-bodies.
I had one Covid shot and the Flu shot last year, both in the same arm at the same time (not recommended!).
I was not feeling great for a couple of days. It wasn't Covid and it wasn't the flu.

I got my Covid shot a week before I went to Santa Cruz CA in October, then I took my brother in for his Covid and flu shots (I asked them to put one in each arm) and got my flu shot then. Much easier, I didn't feel bad.

This year's flu is a bit more virulent than some, Australia had a bad time of it. The vaccine we get here includes protection from that specific flu, an advantage of following them on this one.

Stay hydrated, rest and you should be fine. If you have Covid tests, use one 2-3 days after the first symptoms or you could get a false negative. FWIW, I've had a total of 5 Covid shots now and somewhere in between the 2nd shot and the 3rd, I got Covid. It was't real fun but it wasn't life threatening either. I probably have antibodies from Hell now!

I think the package for my free covid tests landed in the mail today. Was too tired to check it at my apartment complex. It is hard making less than 12k in a year when a pandemic stops your livelihood.

I am SO hydrated. My urine is clear! I had a friend that hiked the AT twice and I remember him instilling that in me. Something you remember forever.

Nov 11 22 06:25 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I feel completely normal today. Yay!

Nov 12 22 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Model Sarah wrote:
I feel completely normal today. Yay!

Good!

It was probably just a reaction to the body generating antibodies.
Anti bodies are just that, but in general they kill weaker things than your own human self. In the process, they can slow you down a bit.

When I tested positive for Covid, I was well between shots and I felt like crap for 2 days. The scary part is that from the 3rd day onward, I felt completely fine, no symptoms. I still tested positive and isolated.
But it makes me wonder how many people are up and about, positive for Covid and completely oblivious?

Nov 12 22 08:20 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Good!

It was probably just a reaction to the body generating antibodies.
Anti bodies are just that, but in general they kill weaker things than your own human self. In the process, they can slow you down a bit.

When I tested positive for Covid, I was well between shots and I felt like crap for 2 days. The scary part is that from the 3rd day onward, I felt completely fine, no symptoms. I still tested positive and isolated.
But it makes me wonder how many people are up and about, positive for Covid and completely oblivious?

Well, that is why I said "not to my knowledge" have I ever contracted Covid. I could have been walking around positive with it and not known. There is no way to know. Anytime I felt a little off or like I was fighting off something I would take a test. Never tested positive. I think I must have taken 15 of them out of sheer paranoia!

Nov 12 22 10:22 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

It's really good to hear that you are better so quickly, I think that proves there was just a minor effect from the shot, which a lot of other people have reported.  Even though they say you can get multiple shots for different things at the same time, I personally never get more than one at a time and wait a couple of weeks or more before getting a different one, because that way if there ever was any reaction I would immediately know exactly which shot caused that to happen.

For those of you who find the pain in the arm very noticeable for days afterward, try asking to get any shots you need to have given in either your hip or your stomach.  Both of those locations hurt a whole lot less than the arm does afterward and the pain seems to subside much more quickly.  You still get the same effect of the shot, since both those areas also contain muscle, which is what the needle needs to inject into.  I've been requesting all my shots in the hip for decades now, and a family member prefers to have them administered very low in the abdominal area. I've tried that and it is barely noticeable. Usually most nurses will do so upon request.

Nov 12 22 10:49 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
It's really good to hear that you are better so quickly, I think that proves there was just a minor effect from the shot, which a lot of other people have reported.  Even though they say you can get multiple shots for different things at the same time, I personally never get more than one at a time and wait a couple of weeks or more before getting a different one, because that way if there ever was any reaction I would immediately know exactly which shot caused that to happen.

For those of you who find the pain in the arm very noticeable for days afterward, try asking to get any shots you need to have given in either your hip or your stomach.  Both of those locations hurt a whole lot less than the arm does afterward and the pain seems to subside much more quickly.  You still get the same effect of the shot, since both those areas also contain muscle, which is what the needle needs to inject into.  I've been requesting all my shots in the hip for decades now, and a family member prefers to have them administered very low in the abdominal area. I've tried that and it is barely noticeable. Usually most nurses will do so upon request.

It is difficult (at least where I live) to make an appointment for the covid booster at a convenient time for most people. I don't know what that says about the supply, but that is why I got them both at the same time. You can just walk in and get a flu shot.

I remember when I was entering kindergarten I was a scrawny little 5 year old so they had to give my vaccines to me in my butt. I am pretty sure that had to do with how skinny my arm was. lol

Nov 12 22 11:34 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Feeling better, Sarah?  I hope-

Nov 14 22 01:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Feeling better, Sarah?  I hope-

Yep was only "down" for a day. Nausea, tired, and sore arm. Felt fine the next day!

Nov 16 22 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I got my flu-vaccine earlier this month. It was an inactivated type.

Although I've never had a reaction to any vaccine that I can remember, I did this time. I woke up the next morning with a headache, stuffy sinuses, a slightly elevated body-temp, and overall body-aches. I started going through a mental list of what could have caused it, and then suddenly remembered the flu-vaccine I'd had. The symptoms were mostly gone by the evening, and totally gone by the next morning.

From what I've heard, this year's vaccine is meant to protect against 3-4 strains, so that's likely the reason that my immune-system got pretty well cranked up. The flu-vaccine is nothing to be afraid of though, while the flu itself definitely is!

Nov 16 22 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

Had a sore arm with all the vaccine and the two Covid boosters. Had far more post injection symptoms with second Shingrex vaccine: fatigue, body aches and headache.

Nov 16 22 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

JDF Photography wrote:
Had a sore arm with all the vaccine and the two Covid boosters. Had far more post injection symptoms with second Shingrex vaccine: fatigue, body aches and headache.

Yup. No reactions to any other vax (including 5 doses of Pfizer or Moderna Covid). But the Shingrex was unpleasant, enough that I waited longer than I normally would have. Second dose hit me too, but not as badly.

Sarah, glad you are back to normal!

Nov 16 22 08:04 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am not old enough to get that vaccine yet but good to know. As a small child I had a TERRIBLE case of the chicken pox. It is the most sick I have ever been in my entire life. No scarring or anything but it was basically having a flu, stomach bug, and scratching itchy bumps on my arms and chest for an entire week. I remember my mom slathering us in that pinkish brown lotion. My nieces (teenagers) were like; "Sarah, why didn't you get the vaccine?" IT WASN'T INVENTED YET. lol

And that's why folks, you should get the god damn vaccine. *curtsy*

Nov 17 22 08:41 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Modelphilia wrote:
From what I've heard, this year's vaccine is meant to protect against 3-4 strains, so that's likely the reason that my immune-system got pretty well cranked up. The flu-vaccine is nothing to be afraid of though, while the flu itself definitely is!

I heard the same thing! I think someone mentioned here earlier that Australia is going through it with the flu this year. Before covid, I had never sought out the flu vaccine mainly because I never get sick. I am now a champion of it. Who knew a pandemic would change perspectives. hienvy

Nov 17 22 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Model Sarah wrote:

I heard the same thing! I think someone mentioned here earlier that Australia is going through it with the flu this year. Before covid, I had never sought out the flu vaccine mainly because I never get sick. I am now a champion of it. Who knew a pandemic would change perspectives. hienvy

Long ago and far away, I worked at a Kinko's in Clovis CA. We were required to answer phones promptly and there were 3 phones out on the floor so if you were working and the phone rang, you picked up.
Great way to spread the flu!!!! I had not been getting the vaccine and never had the flu.
I got it, 10 days of feeling like crap. I've had an annual flu shot every year since then and no more flu. Some years I've felt slightly woozy for a day or so, nothing compared to having a solid case of the flu!
When Covid hit, I went right in and got my vaccines. I am current with them, got the Pfizer this last time around and it's supposed to protect from some of the newer mutations.

We are NOT done seeing new mutations, even the flu still mutates but most of us have the antibodies to keep it at bay. That will happen with Covid as well, our own immune systems coupled with an annual vaccine will probably be all we need.

I was late in getting my shingles vaccines, I didn't have a strong reaction to either of them but I did feel a difference.
Something that made me decide to go get it done immediately was a conversation with a woman who appeared to be in her late 30's-early 40's who said she'd had shingle and it was not fun at all.

FWIW, I had chicken pox too. If one kid got it at elementary school, everybody got it.
I'm pretty current on vaccines and grateful to have them available.

Nov 17 22 09:14 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Long ago and far away, I worked at a Kinko's in Clovis CA. We were required to answer phones promptly and there were 3 phones out on the floor so if you were working and the phone rang, you picked up.
Great way to spread the flu!!!! I had not been getting the vaccine and never had the flu.
I got it, 10 days of feeling like crap. I've had an annual flu shot every year since then and no more flu. Some years I've felt slightly woozy for a day or so, nothing compared to having a solid case of the flu!
When Covid hit, I went right in and got my vaccines. I am current with them, got the Pfizer this last time around and it's supposed to protect from some of the newer mutations.

We are NOT done seeing new mutations, even the flu still mutates but most of us have the antibodies to keep it at bay. That will happen with Covid as well, our own immune systems coupled with an annual vaccine will probably be all we need.

I was late in getting my shingles vaccines, I didn't have a strong reaction to either of them but I did feel a difference.
Something that made me decide to go get it done immediately was a conversation with a woman who appeared to be in her late 30's-early 40's who said she'd had shingle and it was not fun at all.

FWIW, I had chicken pox too. If one kid got it at elementary school, everybody got it.
I'm pretty current on vaccines and grateful to have them available.

I am scared to get shingles because I am a model. My son's father got it a few years ago and has horrible scarring on his arms. Could you imagine to my immaculate skin?! big_smile

Yeah I remember the girl who gave it to our whole class. She went to the nurse and the nurse wouldn't let her leave. Didn't believe she was sick!

Nov 17 22 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Sarah, if you can get your shingles vaccines, do it.
I don't know what they cost out there in the real world.
I have a Medicare Advantage plan and vaccines are pretty inexpensive or free.
One advantage to getting older, wouldn't mind being my 20 year old self again if I could have the wisdom that comes from experience. If I had to be the idiot that I was then, never mind!!!!

Nov 18 22 08:39 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Sarah, if you can get your shingles vaccines, do it.
I don't know what they cost out there in the real world.
I have a Medicare Advantage plan and vaccines are pretty inexpensive or free.
One advantage to getting older, wouldn't mind being my 20 year old self again if I could have the wisdom that comes from experience. If I had to be the idiot that I was then, never mind!!!!

I am not old enough for it yet. sad

Nov 18 22 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
[ Who knew a pandemic would change perspectives. hienvy

Or reveal so much stupidity in so many fellow citizens.

Nov 18 22 01:12 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Or reveal so much stupidity in so many fellow citizens.

Oh I knew that. lol

Nov 18 22 01:15 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i am curious, why did you get the booster?  Did you get tested first to see if you were not protected from the other shots?  Did the vaccine and the boosters wear off?  I am asking because being someone that never took a flu shot, am on no medications it was hard to wrap my head around what was being told to us then seeing how aggressive and angry everyone got as the months progressed.  The bullying and ridiculous claims made, oh my personal favorite, I was killing people!  That now makes me laugh.  The shear stupidity of that alone makes me want to continue to research.  I did have covid. 8 months after I wanted to know if I still had any protection.  My doc laughed when he saw my results. He said I was more then fine.  Not to worry.  My dad is going tomorrow for blood work to find out if he needs the second booster.  He did have covid about 5 months after his first booster. It was ruff. He is 92. Lives alone, very healthy and has a better social life the most!  Since we both had covid, and Dr Fauci finally said natural immunity is just as good if not better, ( I have the tape of him saying it during on interview.) I want to make sure my dad is not blindly excepting that he needs it.  So, again, why did you feel the need to get I think you said 4th booster? Rick

Jan 02 23 04:58 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jan 02 23 04:58 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I got my forth covid shot Dec 23rd.  That was the bi-valent one.  I also got a flu shot on the 23rd.  I was a little sick on the 24th.  Enough to stay home and sleep a lot.  I might have had a fever because I felt warm most of the day.  I never feel warm in winter or air conditioning without dressing warm.  I did not feel warm enough to check my temperature.   I was fine the evening of the 24th and the morning of the 25th.  I had a headache the evening of the 25th, but I get them, so I doubt it was related.

I never use to get the annual flu shot.  This makes two years in a row.   I figure I ain't getting any younger.  I got the bi-valent Covid shot because the medical professional with a doctorate that hangs out with me said I should.  If she hadn't, the logic of would still tell me to get it.  We are dealing with variants.  Just like the various pests that are classified as the common cold and the flu, covid is undergoing changes and the people that are refusing the vaccine (the ones that are killing people) are serving as breeding grounds and transmission routes for the variants. 

I know several people that have had bona fide cases of covid more than once.  We still have contact with a 97 year old WW2 vet.  We don't want to pass it on.

Jan 02 23 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rick lesser wrote:
i am curious, why did you get the booster?  Did you get tested first to see if you were not protected from the other shots?  Did the vaccine and the boosters wear off?  I am asking because being someone that never took a flu shot, am on no medications it was hard to wrap my head around what was being told to us then seeing how aggressive and angry everyone got as the months progressed.  The bullying and ridiculous claims made, oh my personal favorite, I was killing people!  That now makes me laugh.  The shear stupidity of that alone makes me want to continue to research.  I did have covid. 8 months after I wanted to know if I still had any protection.  My doc laughed when he saw my results. He said I was more then fine.  Not to worry.  My dad is going tomorrow for blood work to find out if he needs the second booster.  He did have covid about 5 months after his first booster. It was ruff. He is 92. Lives alone, very healthy and has a better social life the most!  Since we both had covid, and Dr Fauci finally said natural immunity is just as good if not better, ( I have the tape of him saying it during on interview.) I want to make sure my dad is not blindly excepting that he needs it.  So, again, why did you feel the need to get I think you said 4th booster? Rick

This is simple, Covid is a virus. Viruses mutate. Omicron is less deadly than Delta but more contagious. The vaccines have been updated to protect humans from Omicron - it still kills.

The common cold and the flu are both viruses and both spread rapidly every year, despite many people getting flu shots annually.
Regarding Covid, I had the Moderna vaccine which is 2 shots about a month apart. A few months later, I had Covid. I was sick with more or less flu-like symptoms for 2 days but I tested positive on the second morning. Then, I was asymptomatic, no symptoms at all and I felt fine.

Since i have regard for other humans, I stayed home for a week and isolated. FWIW, I tested positive on the 4th day.
Some of us can spread Covid because we don't show symptoms and continue to behave as if life is just as normal as it always was.

Eventually, as this continues we will all have sufficient anti-bodies that Covid will be much less deadly - like the flu (which still kills people every year).

Meanwhile, HSV came barreling through ahead of schedule this year and I was ill for 10 days. I suspect the combination of recently having the bi-valent Covid shot and a week later the flu shot had my antibodies up and running.

I'd say, so far you've been very lucky since we can't choose our parents and therefore not our immunities.
Bear in mind that you could have or had Covid and were asymptomatic, which means you could unknowingly be a spreader of a disease that can kill people. Call it hysteria if you like, doesn't change the reality of it at all.

Jan 02 23 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

My co-workers laugh at me because I've had every vaccine I could access, as they became available; two initial Pfizer doses, the J&J single shot, two Moderna boosters, then the covalent shot. My wife and I both had Covid-19 in the first round that hit NYC, and she ended up a month or two later going into the ER with what turned out to be a dissection in her carotid artery — not a fun thing. Yes, the boosters put us down for a day or two with aches and fatigue but ironically we also found that each booster seemed to ease something of any long haul Covid symptoms that hadn't fully resolved. Fast forward to this Christmas season, and we both contracted Covid again. It was definitely going to flatten us this time too, but, we arranged for Paxlovid prescriptions as quickly as we could and BOOM that stuff knocked the Covid flat instead of Covid flattening us! Paxlovid dampens the virus's ability to reproduce, giving the immune system a chance to kick into gear before the virus can spread widely throughout the body, and so far this stuff has really worked well. So my advice is definitely get your boosters but if you do get Covid then get a Paxlovid prescription as fast as you can.

Jan 02 23 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

rick lesser wrote:
... Dr Fauci finally said natural immunity is just as good if not better...

It's important to correct the previous, very serious, outright disinformation posted here.

FIRST)  Dr. Fauci did NOT claim natural immunity as a result of a previous Covid infection was better than a vaccine.

As the major fact checker sites all point out, DR. FAUCI ANSWERED (ON VIDEO) A QUESTION RELATED TO *THE FLU*.  Specifically a question asked by someone who had caught THE FLU, as to whether he should still go out and needed a vaccine.  That video answer was used by Rand Paul, to falsely claim that Dr. Fauci stated that when asked about COVID.

Dr. Fauci NEVER SAID THAT NATURAL IMMUNITY (as a result of a previous COVID infection) WAS BETTER THAN GETTING A COVID VACCINE.   PERIOD.

His video answer about THE FLU is being distributed (including here) as deliberate misinformation regarding the COVID vaccine

SECOND)  Here's the latest ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC DATA:

"Large, real-world study finds COVID-19 vaccination more effective than natural immunity in protecting against all causes of death, hospitalization and emergency department visits

Date: December 15, 2022

Summary:
In one of the first large, real-world studies comparing the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines versus natural immunity in protecting against death, hospitalizations and emergency department (ED) visits for any cause, including COVID, researchers report that people of all age groups benefited significantly more from vaccination than natural immunity acquired from a previous COVID infection.

The lower death rate of vaccinated individuals was especially impressive for adults ages 60 years or older
."

(as reported by Science Daily and many other scientific and major media publications)

---

I know that MM has posted very clear rules regarding those who post COVID and vaccine disinformation.  Whether those rules are still in play, I have no idea.  But regardless, everyone should clearly understand that THE SPECIFIC COVID VACCINE CLAIMS POSTED HERE ARE COMPLETELY FALSE / DANGEROUS MISINFORMATION.

Jan 02 23 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

It's a simple "either / or" choice.

Do you want to take expert Covid vaccination advice from a Florida Hair Stylist that falsely represented Dr. Fauci's answer to a question about the Flu, as being about Covid vaccines?

Or do you choose to take your expert Covid vaccine advice based on the latest large, real world, scientific "Covid vaccine vs Natural Immunity" study?

Obviously, one or the other, must be completely out to lunch...

The choice is yours.

Jan 02 23 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

New "Kraken" Covid Super-variant taking off in the U.S.

Be aware that the fastest growing and most infectious Covid variant, XBB.1.5 "Kraken", is suddenly very seriously taking off in the U.S.

It's a combination of two different variants that appeared in India and first "combined" into a new super variant in the New York area.  It's far more infectious than the BF7 variant that is currently exploding in China.

Here's their current "best guess" on this variant, but it's still early days.

- It's FAR more infectious than any previous version.

- It's thought that it's about the same danger level, once contracted, as other recent super variants.

In summary, you are more likely to catch this version, even if you are vaccinated, or have the "shorter lived" natural immunity from a previous Covid infection.

BUT, you are far less likely to end up in critical care and/or die, if you are recently (within the last 4 to 6 months) vaccinated, preferably with the better / more recent, bivalent version of the Covid vaccine.  ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE OVER 60.

It's important to stress that these are their best educated guesses during the very early stages of the new "Kraken" Covid super variant.  They'll know more as time goes on.  So the facts, as they know them, may well change.  But they do know that the current growth rate is extremely high (some call it "explosive") within the U.S., plus it's just hit parts of Canada, including BC.

They also know that at least some of the previous drugs that were administered AFTER you were infected, don't seem to be effective in fighting Kraken.

Again, their recommendation is a combination of the previously recommended preventative measures to reduce the strength of any new infections, plus a fairly recent Bivalent Covid vaccine (allow a couple of weeks for it to kick in).

---

P.S.  It's important to note that the reportedly extremely high guestimated "real" current China death count with their current variant, is mainly due to the fact that the vaccine used in China is NOT an mRNA vaccine like those used in the west.  That difference is CRITICAL when it comes to deaths.

Jan 02 23 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Had My 5th(4 boosters I think) shot about a month ago. I've never had a reaction of any kind to any shot I've ever gotten of any kind. Like they never happened(knock on wood!).
I wear my mask into all stores but I'm pretty ready for this to be gone. The + side is I haven't had so much as a sniffle since this all started because of wearing masks!
In a year or a bit more I'm gonna start to permanently travel, so hope it's all gone!!!
John

Jan 02 23 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

LightDreams wrote:
New "Kraken" Covid Super-variant taking off in the U.S.

Be aware that the fastest growing and most infectious Covid variant, XBB15 "Kraken", is suddenly very seriously taking off in the U.S.

It's a combination of two different variants that appeared in India and first "combined" into a new super variant in the New York area.  It's far more infectious than the BF7 variant that is currently exploding in China.

Here's their current "best guess" on this variant, but it's still early days.

- It's FAR more infectious than any previous version.

- It's thought that it's about the same danger level, once contracted, as other recent super variants.

In summary, you are more likely to catch this version, even if you are vaccinated, or have the "shorter lived" natural immunity from a previous Covid infection.

Living in New York; my wife and I still caught some version of Covid just after Christmas despite being up-to-date with all possible vaccines and boosters. No idea how we got it; we mask (double mask on transit) everywhere with KN95s. In addition, having in the past worked in a facility manufacturing health care products (in production, including setting up Optical Character Recognition software and systems for checking lot numbers and expiry dates), for the last three years we've been:
1) spraying down shoe soles with Lysol when returning to our apartment;
2) Spraying and wiping down all groceries and other items entering our apartment with hydrogen peroxide;
3) Using hand sanitizer extensively.

It still got us again, but, we got through a few years without this second infection. I know younger people who have been infected 5–6 times because they think it's all over and they can drop their maks; but then they say they wish they hadn't because every infection is as bad (or worse) than the last.

Being from Canada, the way I explain this is to say: "In trying to get back to civilization when stranded in winter, some people just keep going and some people lie down in the snow to get some sleep. Don't lie down in the snow and go to sleep! Keep going!"

Jan 03 23 06:11 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm probably older than most here, at 59 with no health issues I know that I want to do everything I can to remain healthy. I got the first two vaccines and then a booster every six months since, so I've had four booster shots. I've had reactions every time with nausea, sore arm and general listlessness but it's better than actually getting Covid. I believe that I had it the previous Christmas holiday but was too sick to go get tested. I spent a dozen days in my bed, it felt like the worst flu that I've experienced and I certainly don't want to get it again. Last month, I was around a group of people that had three cases so I got the booster and anticipated feeling bad for two days. I'm thankful that I've had the vaccine available and I've been careful but not obsessed with safeguards.

Jan 03 23 08:24 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

How fast is Kraken taking over in the U.S.?

Kraken is now 40% of known U.S. Covid cases (as of New Years Eve - CDC)

The week before it was only 20% of U.S. cases.

You can't make it out (if it's even there?) on the CDC charts from 4 weeks ago

Jan 03 23 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had a slightly sore arm for half a day after each of the 4 shots that I have had. I've had Moderna and Pfizer. However I did test positive for covid after Thanksgiving and was coughing for 2 and a half days, Then all of a sudden, I felt great. But I smell cigarette smoke most of the day now.

Jan 03 23 12:20 pm Link