Forums > Newbie Forum > Scammers searching for models

Model

model1artsy

San Antonio, Texas, US

I keep getting  this same message about an upcoming October shoot. They may looking for models, but their sending or asking everybody at different email addresses. One job I got “cast” didn’t work out. They will tell you they will give an upfront payment if you send them the rest after. It was fake. Some people are or getting fake photography offers. I got a fake check sent to me from that shoot! Thank goodness my bank didn’t cash it! I am not sure why people are on here trying to scam. We are trying to do legitimate work. Please only real photographers and model accounts. That’s what all ask MM.

Oct 09 22 01:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

On the top right side of the screen, there is the word "help."  If you click there, you will find, contact a mod, where yo can report the abuse. 

When you open the email, there is a place to flag the email. 

Nobody here benefits by these scams.  Please report them.

Under the help button you will also find some top answers and some articles and links about staying safe.

Sometimes the scammers get sophisticated in their scams.  If you ever have any doubt, post in the forums about it.

Good luck

Oct 09 22 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

TC356 wrote:
I got a fake check sent to me from that shoot! Thank goodness my bank didn’t cash it! I am not sure why people are on here trying to scam.

These scammers are everywhere, not just on MM. Even the banks know about them.

The checks are famously fake. Never deposit a check and send money to a third party.

Oct 09 22 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

This scam (or variations) is many decades old! It is called the Nigerian Scamhttp://www.newmodels.com/Nigeria.html
All offers of up-front payment are scams! Never reply to them.
They are not sophisticated at all. They most often copy existing scams and substitute different names and amounts, etc.
They are often not even smart enough to correct bad spelling and grammar.
They are successful because they approach mostly inexperienced people on a large scale and know that many will be greedy enough to try for the advance money, in spite of knowing they are inexperienced for such an offer.
Use logic!
Never display your email online.
Because you answered with your email and address, etc. those have likely been passed around, thus repeated offers from others.
Instead of asking about scams after you put yourself into them, try asking before you respond to them.

Oct 11 22 05:39 pm Link