Forums > Model Colloquy > Models who choose to keep there MM account but

Photographer

Mia Turquoise Image

Kent, Ohio, US

I am interested to know why some, like a lot models keep accounts that are over 10 years with no intention of doing photoshoots.  But check on their accounts still.  All these DEAD account make it diificult to find out who really wants to shoot on her.

1.  Question  What is the purpose of keeping an MM account if you are not modeling anymore?
2.  How are you networking with photographers if you have a free account?

Oct 08 22 11:40 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Maybe it would look to unemployment like they were looking for work. :-)   Not worth my time worrying about it.

Oct 08 22 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

Lots of reasons!
Some of us made a lot of contacts and friends here over the years who we still like to hear from.
Some of us who say we're not looking for work still will shoot with photographers we already have established relationships with.
It doesn't cost anything to have an account.

Oct 08 22 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

It might say their accounts were recently active, but the reality is they haven't logged in for months or even years. A model that I've work with in the past was listed as active during a search. She was among the models who left the biz after 2020. I have all of her socials. She hasn't updated anything anywhere. Everything suggests that she has quit modeling, but MM has her as active.

These are abandoned accounts. MM is just faking activity.

Oct 08 22 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

There is an account I friended when I first started. The account has never changed but still occasionally logs in, the model even moved but nothing has ever changed. I just wonder if that person is real or it's a fake account or some sort.

Oct 08 22 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I would suspect MM would never encourage anyone to remove and account. Inactive or not the account adds to the total they can claim to have on this site. Pure marketing. It has nothing to do with what is helpful to photographers. That is not a concern for MM.

Oct 08 22 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

There are obviously a lot of fake/anonymous/inactive accounts - both photographers and models. And, there is no limit to the number of accounts a legitimate creator can make. I'm sure when the private model forum opened there were plenty of photographers who made "model" accounts so they could gain access.
I'm not sure why people don't yet realize that the owners of this site don't care about modeling or photography. It's just a site that generates ad revenue. Lots of people not associated with the industry flip through the site to check out the nudies and the glamour pics. "Active accounts," page views and click numbers are what they need to generate ad revenue.
Not being cynical... it's genius really. They don't have to spend money to improve the site or fix bugs, because it's serving their purposes as is.

Oct 09 22 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

MoRina wrote:
there is no limit to the number of accounts a legitimate creator can make.

Incorrect. The gatekeepers screen new profiles for existing accounts within the same category. Only one profile is permitted within the same category, with an except for models who wish to have two modeling profiles - one nude and one non-nude.

A photographer can also model, and a model can be a photographer, too. Some H/MUA are also models, and some bodypainters are photographers. Separate accounts allowed for such, but still one profile per category.

Do some slip through? Definitely, but if you see a fake account, report it. While your impression that the owners do not care, I can tell you that the Gatekeepers and moderators do care. The owners are not reviewing the profiles. The Gatekeepers and mods are doing this task.

Oct 09 22 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Mia Turquoise Image wrote:
I am interested to know why some, like a lot models keep accounts that are over 10 years with no intention of doing photoshoots.  But check on their accounts still.  All these DEAD account make it diificult to find out who really wants to shoot on her.

1.  Question  What is the purpose of keeping an MM account if you are not modeling anymore?

1. Try "deleting" your account, I believe can only be done if a Mod does it and even then I am not certain that it is actually deleted. It may simply become inaccessible to the person who started the account perhaps.
Usually that only happens in cases of extreme bad behavior, we used to say somebody was "ultra-banned".
MM was founded/started by Tyler, who had an interest in enabling Models, Photographers and other Creatives to work with each other. Tyler is gone and he took his spirit/interest with him.

Model Mayhem runs off advertising dollars, they need numbers to generate $$$. Other than that, I don't think the conglomerate that owns MM has much to say about modeling or photography, this is one of their many websites, generating a bit of income for the owners. The more members they appear to have, the more money they will make. It is as simple as that.

You CAN de-activate your account, my own account has been deactivated more often than not since 2006 but it's still the same account. I'm not inclined to behave in the manner that would get me "ultra-banned" and many others are probably feeling the same way.

If you actually expect others to behave the way that you think they should, you are going to spend life in disappointment.
Since an account cannot actually be deleted and it's easier to just ignore it, many will take that easy path. This will not change.

2. Free accounts can still solicit friends with a single click. Once they've been friended, they can then send messages to their friends. It is also a place to "park" photos and many models use a link to their portfolio page as a reference while soliciting work on other sites, since this site has slowed way down compared to the earlier times. I would suggest you take a look and see if your local Facebook has any modeling or photography pages. Also have a look at Instagram since many prefer the visual approach. Tok Tok may well be in play by now too. Good luck.

Oct 09 22 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Incorrect. The gatekeepers screen new profiles for existing accounts within the same category. Only one profile is permitted within the same category, with an except for models who wish to have two modeling profiles - one nude and one non-nude.

A photographer can also model, and a model can be a photographer, too. Some H/MUA are also models, and some bodypainters are photographers. Separate accounts allowed for such, but still one profile per category.

Do some slip through? Definitely, but if you see a fake account, report it. While your impression that the owners do not care, I can tell you that the Gatekeepers and moderators do care. The owners are not reviewing the profiles. The Gatekeepers and mods are doing this task.

Perhaps the rules have changed, but it didn't used to be a problem as long as you used a different email address.

Oct 10 22 05:56 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

While I'm technically retired, I've also done a few shoots here and there since, because sometimes a cool project comes up or the creative itch needs to be scratched. So I've left my account up.

It also came in handy when I was looking for some stuff to do after moving and found a casting call for a regular portrait modeling gig. It was something interesting to do that got me out of the house and didn't require me to have friends in a new city LOL.

Oct 10 22 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I was a traveling model on MM for more than a decade, many years before I opened a photographer account or started shooting my own work. I made a lot of lasting, wonderful friendships here and still use my model account to communicate with people I met here in the early 00s. That being said, the site doesn't offer me anything anymore other than an occasional conversation with a long-lost friend, or a brief browse of the message boards. I now find models out in daily life, and haven't actually felt a part of any artistic "community" since I permanently retired from modeling at the end of 2019. I'm sure my region has stuff, but the time I have to try to go out and find it is limited, so spending 30 minutes a month on MM does give me a sense that there are other photographers and models still out in the world. That's about the only purpose that it serves.

Oct 12 22 07:49 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello,
My account is coming up to ten years old, I haven't modeled since 2017 with the exception of one photoshoot episode in 2018 for my art model portfolio. However, the main reason I have this huge break in my modeling and photography is, hopefully, not permanent and I would like to do both again.
In the interim, life happened. I've moved to a town that doesn't seek models like me, I also went back to school and got a degree, and a couple of certificates and am continuing my academic education, (this takes time.) My daily activities also consume my free time too.
So, this is one model's story only but, I keep it up because I am not ready to hang it up.
Thank you,
Jen B.
p.s. although I haven't checked in over a year I think but, I really want to get some time in with photography and was watching a photographers youtube channel and he mentioned TF shoots briefly so, here I am today.

Oct 15 22 04:55 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:
Hello,
My account is coming up to ten years old, I haven't modeled since 2017 with the exception of one photoshoot episode in 2018 for my art model portfolio. However, the main reason I have this huge break in my modeling and photography is, hopefully, not permanent and I would like to do both again.
In the interim, life happened. I've moved to a town that doesn't seek models like me, I also went back to school and got a degree, and a couple of certificates and am continuing my academic education, (this takes time.) My daily activities also consume my free time too.
So, this is one model's story only but, I keep it up because I am not ready to hang it up.
Thank you,
Jen B.
p.s. although I haven't checked in over a year I think but, I really want to get some time in with photography and was watching a photographers youtube channel and he mentioned TF shoots briefly so, here I am today.

I agree with this. I came back today after being officially retired for the last 8 years. It is convenient to have my history here, and it's easier this way to update with what I've got now, plus to kind of poke around and see what it's like these days, without having to start from scratch. If I had to start from scratch now, I wouldn't be here at all; 8 years of life changes will make you tire of things like re-creating accounts. smile

Oct 26 22 09:01 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

1. I do much more photography than modeling these days, I still keep up my modeling profile just in case the right person finds me.

2. I network by logging in to my profile so It pops up at the top of searches. I also have sent a FR to all local photographers, artists, models within 100 miles. having a free account just puts me at a limit of 5 a day, no worries, the next day I can FR 5 more. I prefer slow methodical networking to trying to work with a huge group at once.

For the most part, my modeling jobs come from art schools. However, I still get enough offers here on MM to keep my profile open.

Oct 28 22 10:10 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

1. I do much more photography than modeling these days, I still keep up my modeling profile just in case the right person finds me.

2. I network by logging in to my profile so It pops up at the top of searches. I also have sent a FR to all local photographers, artists, models within 100 miles. having a free account just puts me at a limit of 5 a day, no worries, the next day I can FR 5 more. I prefer slow methodical networking to trying to work with a huge group at once.

For the most part, my modeling jobs come from art schools. However, I still get enough offers here on MM to keep my profile open.

Oct 28 22 10:10 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Lot's of reasons.

There are models who are still modeling who aren't active on MM. They are active in other aspects of modeling. However, they leave up their MM because potential clients may see their older modeling images here when they search her name. You will find a lot of these models will have a comment in their bio such as "contact me directly at my email' while providing the address.

A lot of models moved away from MM because there was a period where the forums became tense. It felt like a war between models and photographers. So, many models choose to sperate from that. If you have been around the modeling block long enough, you will know other sites such as OMP, Garage Glamour, etc. Have also suffered a similar fate. People through the ages jump to other sites. For example I still maintain an OMP full of some of my favorite early modeling images. I will never take it down and remove the images because it is an achieve of work from my early career I am proud of. I have no idea if Garage Glamour is still even around? Since, I haven't received a PM from there or booking in 18 years.

I have also seen over the ages I have been modeling. Models who take long breaks and come back and return many times over. Some models like myself never officially retire. Like to leave the modeling door open even if they take breaks. Some of those breaks maybe 5 or more years. A lot of female models take breaks because they have children. Plan to resume modeling again once their children reach school age. Being a mother can change a lot in terms of a woman's career. Especially a career which involves her looks. Often women need time to get back into modeling shape. There are also models who take breaks because they are tired from spending years needing to be in model shape. They just want to be a normal jane who eats carbs for a while.

There are models here who have built amazing friendships with photographers and other models. This is how they keep in touch with old friends. I recently had an old vet I thought long retire contact me about getting together like old times. We had a very fun time over years traveling the world together. Sharing expenses and our early 20's. We laugh that we had an endless slumber party together staying in hotels and taking flights together. We were very best friend during that period. Heck, at first we barely spoke the same language. She isn't on mainstream social media. Heck, she doesn't have mainstream social media because she lives a very conventional and conservative family life. She choses to separate her modeling life and contacts from the general population she deals with daily. While they know she modeled in her teens and 20's. She rather keep the worlds divided for her family.

Dec 03 22 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Maybe they are proud of the portfolio they produced through modeling and want to keep it up so others can still view it.

Dec 04 22 05:55 am Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Part of it may be other than retired, or that they stopped because they probably got tired of GWCs asking for nude shoots when there's no mention of it in their profile. I have model friends that used to be on this site and the messages they would get would just too much sometimes, who wants to deal with that?

Sometimes they get a Significant Other who is not keen on them shooting so they stop, or they have kids and don't have time anymore or work full time. Some maybe forget their login or lose interest and leave up their profile or they just move on.

Maybe it's the "Photog" accounts that have been on here for years who comment and list everything yet haven't posted one picture of a model that they shot.

They have their reasons. They don't owe us any explanation.

Just be happy that while the number may be smaller there are still some models that do like to shoot on this site, you may just have to travel to find them, and pay them if you're serious.

Dec 04 22 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

In my area, there are definitely a few of what I call "zombie" model accounts.  Here are the characteristics:

-It looks like the model was either not serious about modeling or not successful, as no credits are listed.

-Less than ten images are on display and none posted in the last decade or so.

-The model does not respond to messages.

-If you leave a TAG that says "this is a zombie account, caretakers please delete" nothing happens and the TAG stays there forever.

-Someone or some program makes it look like the owner logs in perhaps once a month.

This tends to support the idea that old accounts are kept "alive" to boost site numbers.  However, I have to admit that one of the presumed zombies replied to my inquiry a few months ago and said that she was a real person, just not actively modeling.

I'm not really sure what it all means, but thought someone might be interested in my observations.  And I was bored.  smile

Jan 21 23 03:56 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

Alas not everyone is like me and slashes and burns their social media accounts and liquidates their bank account and-

I mean, trust me, a large part of me would rather be changing adult diapers and caring for hospice clients, I really perfected my comedy delivery with dementia clients who were bluntly honest with me, but my body sucks and I have to transfer my pill chart skills to my own prescriptions

Maybe people leave a window open

Maybe people are day trading in shout using code

Maybe people log in just to fuck with you specifically

Jan 21 23 05:58 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Beyond Boudoir wrote:
In my area, there are definitely a few of what I call "zombie" model accounts.  Here are the characteristics:

-It looks like the model was either not serious about modeling or not successful, as no credits are listed.

-Less than ten images are on display and none posted in the last decade or so.

-The model does not respond to messages.

-If you leave a TAG that says "this is a zombie account, caretakers please delete" nothing happens and the TAG stays there forever.

-Someone or some program makes it look like the owner logs in perhaps once a month.

This tends to support the idea that old accounts are kept "alive" to boost site numbers.  However, I have to admit that one of the presumed zombies replied to my inquiry a few months ago and said that she was a real person, just not actively modeling.

I'm not really sure what it all means, but thought someone might be interested in my observations.  And I was bored.  smile

I know of a photographer who had several sockpuppets, I double checked the IP when I noticed similarities in speech syntax

Jan 21 23 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

If you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers on why they keep Zombie accts.
Best practice is to ignore accts with no recent activity and focus on ones that have updates in last 3-6 months.
Also when new it takes time to find people to work with I know it sucks when you are raring to go but patience helps to stay sane.

Good luck in your search

Jan 22 23 01:27 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Nat the droid wrote:
Alas not everyone is like me and slashes and burns their social media accounts and liquidates their bank account and-

I mean, trust me, a large part of me would rather be changing adult diapers and caring for hospice clients, I really perfected my comedy delivery with dementia clients who were bluntly honest with me, but my body sucks and I have to transfer my pill chart skills to my own prescriptions

Maybe people leave a window open

Maybe people are day trading in shout using code

Maybe people log in just to fuck with you specifically

We should hang out sometime

Jan 24 23 04:51 am Link

Model

Nat the droid

Dea and the Beast wrote:

We should hang out sometime

Hey if you get up to Boston (don't know why you would) I can give you the grand tour 😂

Jan 24 23 05:36 am Link

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Albany, New York, US

As a photographer who's been on MM since 2011, this is my distinction between photographers and models with older pics on their site and few, if any, new images. For the photographer, it doesn't matter how old the image is. The skill is the skill, and a good image is a testament to the photographer's ability, which unless something terrible happened, probably is still the same if not even more improved. However, a ten year old pic of a model is no longer an accurate representation of who they are today. If they're keeping old pics posted, it's not a big deal to make a note in the profile:

"Pics on this site are for reference and enjoyment of the work I've done in the past and am proud of. Please contact me if you wish to shoot. I'm pretty much retired but may consider a special gig. Thank you for everything!"

But this is being considerate and thoughtful. And yes, it does matter to professionals.

Jan 26 23 10:54 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

I'd argue that a model's skill level also improves over time.

Looks are a different matter. By the month, usually.

Jan 26 23 02:51 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Dea and the Beast wrote:
I'd argue that a model's skill level also improves over time.

Looks are a different matter. By the month, usually.

I have artists I've been posing for 13+ years and at this point they accept I'm going to show up looking wildly different than last time - with the landline + paper planner crowd a handful say show up however and then I show up with hair down to my ass or bald our with a healing bruise bigger than my first or a broken nose or .........

Jan 26 23 06:06 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Nat the droid wrote:

I have artists I've been posing for 13+ years and at this point they accept I'm going to show up looking wildly different than last time - with the landline + paper planner crowd a handful say show up however and then I show up with hair down to my ass or bald our with a healing bruise bigger than my first or a broken nose or .........

Same... the phone call was usually just like "Hey, shoot May or June? -June -, Ok,but the bugs.. - Ok, fuck it, we'll do Utah instead then. ok, I'll send over the details by morning. window seat, correct? "

Now I need to babysit a guy through 45 emails of "what are your limits, what do yOU want to shoot?" and an endless thread of telling them there's not need to micromanage my schedule or my pubic hair for me to book a gig.
Absolutely worthless lol

Feb 13 23 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

They want to pretend they are modeling, when they are NOT. Now, does that mean they are real? No. It is a clear indicator they are not real.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
They want to pretend they are modeling, when they are NOT. Now, does that mean they are real? No. It is a clear indicator they are not real.

Rick

Nonsense! There are many reasons that people are not updating their portfolios or even logging in to Modelmayhem for years at a time.  Number one reason is this place is dead!  People are moving on to other platforums.  Some people simply forgot they had a profile here. Why did you vanish for awhile?  It does not mean that we are not real.  Now on Instagram there are images created by AI which are not real people. That is where you have to be careful.

Sep 09 23 12:40 am Link